Is Tyson Fury issuing in a new era of HW’s in combat sports?

No because any huge man with the athleticism of Fury should be playing in the NFL or NBA not boxing.

Hespectfully disagree.

You can work on accuracy, technique etc which will improve your ko power but there is nothing mythical about natural born punchers.

Lets say average Boxers are born with 5/10 punching power and improve with hard work to 8/10. Natural Punchers are born with 7/10 and improve to 9 or even 10/10.

Yeah it's absolutely bro science but no one can tell me that Shavers, Foreman or Tyson are not natural born punchers. I just think you've never trained otherwise you would know what I mean. There are always some hobbyist bums at every club with great explosivness, rotational power, quick hands etc without any kind of extra training.

If there is nothing mythical or natural about it , and its simply a matter of using well established and known training techniques, why are those elite punchers so rare in boxing? How many george foreman's exist today, 50 years later , How many Wilders?

I am a power puncher and I trained myself to be one. So I know it's bullshit when people use genetics or being born with it as an excuse. They are just not training power punching properly and not punching with proper power punching technique. Some people are naturally stronger yes, but that doesn't mean you can't work to those strengths. Nothing comes free in life. Everything is worked for. Thinking people are born with a skillset is a lazy way of thinking when it comes to training and fighting. I get called a natural all the time, nothing natural about it. If people knew the amount of work I did in completely unrelated body mechanics/movement/strength/conditioning they would understand I wasn't born with it and it isn't natural talent. Those phrases are excuses in my opinion.

To be honest I didn't want to respond to this bullshit but here we go. I wasted my time to educate you;

. The type 2 fibres (fast twitch) are responsible for explosive movements such as a fast jab or a powerful straight right .
Dr Simpson described how the ratio of muscle fibres, muscle composition, (fast twitch vs slow twitch) is mostly a function of genes. With sustained training, it is possible to shift to more fast twitch or slow twitch but the changes are relatively minor .
So regarding muscle fibres, a fighter born with a higher percentage of fast twitch muscle fibres is better suited to power punching. Dr Simpson explains People also 'learn', with training, to activate more of the available muscle fibres in their body. Part of what explains the increase in punching power is then the greater ability to use existing muscle fibres.
A person who is genetically gifted with a higher concentration of fast twitch muscle fibres can then increase the potential of power punching through training.

http://www.odessa-boxing.com/en-US/8798/are_punchers_born_or_made

Just like I told you. Some were born with 5/10 power and improve to 7 and some were born 7/10 and develope 10/10.

Bro you can literally tell after one week if an absolute beginner has some real power or not. I've seen it a thousand times. You can't teach talent. Thats why every sports has its own goats.

Last edited:
Even in boxing, Valuev got beaten by Haye, being big isn't the key. Fury is just a freak, big guy, long reach, technically excellent, knows how to dirty box, can slug when he needs to, crazy cardio, definitely has power when he plants his feet, great chin, you can knock him down but not out... Heavyweights usually have one or two weaknesses, this guy is so versatile. I see him beating Whyte in his next fight, then Usyk, then retiring.

To be honest I didn't want to respond to this bullshit but here we go. I wasted my time to educate you;

http://www.odessa-boxing.com/en-US/8798/are_punchers_born_or_made

Just like I told you. Some were born with 5/10 power and improve to 7 and some were born 7/10 and develope 10/10.

Bro you can literally tell after one week if an absolute beginner has some real power or not. I've seen it a thousand times. You can't teach talent. Thats why every sports has its own goats.
Textbook text is textbook text. Real life examples are better. But of course blame genetics why you can't do something. We all know there are different muscles fibers, each person has both muscle fibers. You can work both but everyone just wants to fall back on the genetics excuse. Carry on and keep blaming genetics while others work past those limitations others put on themselves.

He's just a freak. We aren't going to be seeing fighters like him suddenly appear out of thin air, dancing around the ring while being 6'8, 250+ pounds. Most big guys are going to be awkward and slow compared to smaller fighters.

Super heavyweights will continue to dominate heavyweight boxing for the most part, because of sheer size, but I think Usyk proved that there's room for the odd 210-220 pound guy too, as long as they're skilled enough.

View attachment 884691
Do you believe that bigger and longer HW’s will begin to make themselves known to the MMA and boxing world with the success that he’s had. Could you imagine someone with Fury’s proportions fighting in MMA? It’d be insane and I hope we get to see it one day.

There's probably lots of people his size that decided to play basketball and football that could be even better then our latest super heavyweights, look at how athletic certain basketball players are like Giannes, James imagine King James boxing, he's incredibly strong and has cat like quickness, it's just other incredible athletes aren't boxing, they are playing other sports it's safer and you make more money.

Lebron would've been an incredible boxer without an ounce of fat.

Fury is built different, literally. Wide hips mean he probably has less power than someone like Wilder, but he has tremendous balance and footwork, and is able to use those to his advantage in a point fighting boxing match. One of a kind fighter and for someone like myself who is a similar build and also struggles with mental health, I relate to the bloke a lot and everything he says rings true.
Exactly. There have been larger heavyweights, like Valuev, but big men are almost always goofy as hell. This is what makes Fury such an anomaly, as he is giant sized but moves like a small man, and was brought up in the perfect pressure cooker being from royal bareknuckle breeding and having another very large brother to spar with all the time. You would basically have to take a guy Giannis and let him be raised by Floyd Mayweather or something to get the next generation version from what Fury offers. Big athletic guys generally go to other sports tho, as there is more money, and even then there is no guarantee that they will have the toughness to even become a fighter.

Tho HW's are getting larger, the trend of HW will be who are the best fighters. When Primo Carnera came around came around they thought these giants would usher in a new kind of fighter, then shortly after little Rocky Marciano dominated the ranks, and this went on thru Frazier, Foreman, Holmes, Tyson, Lewis, Wlad and now Fury and Usyk - all different bodies and attributes, some small, some big, but all found a way to make their body type work. Great fighters make what they are given work and find a way to win. It's all about the match ups and what works, much like Fury has struggled with some mid road fighters then steam rolled guys like Wlad and Wilder.

Unless Fury hits the bottle again and goes off the rails, I do think he beats everyone now tho - he is just too good, too tough and too big. Usyk is the only one i think can solve the puzzle short of a random KO.

lol these mma fanboys are getting pathetic.
putting up volkov, struve, timmy.... lmao fury is one of the greatest hw and is the p4p best hw boxer of all time, a two-time ring magazine winner. and you clowns are talking about what? struve? lmao
sad, sad dudes. fix your complex toward boxing.
You seem to have weak comprehension. Try actually reading.

i dont watch mma but isn’t HW capped at 265 in ufc ?

When Fury and Joshua beat Wladmir Klitschko it reset things back to normal where there are several fighters being hyped up as future champions.

But in terms of evolution given how popular boxing used to be(worldwide) I don't think Tyson Fury and co are superior to previous generations. I think we reached the peak somewhere in the 60s or 70s. I think HW's are bigger now because humans are bigger now.

When Fury and Joshua beat Wladmir Klitschko it reset things back to normal where there are several fighters being hyped up as future champions.

But in terms of evolution given how popular boxing used to be(worldwide) I don't think Tyson Fury and co are superior to previous generations. I think we reached the peak somewhere in the 60s or 70s. I think HW's are bigger now because humans are bigger now.

Glad the klitschko era ended. Watching them get lined up continuously dropped by the jab jab jab cross (blame wlad more than vitali though).

Yes Fury has regenerated interest in boxing's HW division. So did Andy Ruiz when he upset AJ. Now Usyk too. It's getting very interesting. Also I can appreciate boxing and MMA separately. I get sick of the constant theorizing about people crossing over between the two sports. Each one is cool, leave it at that.

All that can be learned. Everyone in mma is from different martial arts, strikers learned TDD and Tyson Fury is already a world class boxer and probably the best out of all current HWs in his era. It's foolish to think that other strikers in mma can learn TDD and Tyson Fury can't. He has elite movement/footwork when most HW fighters lack those skillsets in boxing/mma. Plus Fury has boxing conditioning, he will have better cardio/conditioning than most HWs in boxing/mma. Yes, grappling conditioning is different, but how many HWs in mma are elite grapplers?
It can be learned. Absolutely.

A great athlete could learn to be proficient enough to survive the ground game in MMA... in let's say 5, maybe 6 years, assuming that they are doing pretty much nothing but being obsessed with MMA and grappling training 24/7.

Obviously Tyson isn't going to do that, but if he committed to MMA he would be dangerous in a few years. MAYBE he could focus on takedown defense and just roll the dice that he can stay on his feet long enough to get a KO and shorten that time, but he'd be fucked if it didn't work.

Even most of the ranked HWs who are primarily strikers would submit or TKO any grappling novice with relative ease. And a blackbelt/brown belt with a wrestling background, forget it, the ground is death.

They are just different sports. No one is walking from the top of one to the top of the other and doing well. Boxing requires extreme dedication to boxing techniques, MMA requires proficiency in multiple disciplines and if you want to be elite, generally mastery of at least one.

Back