Is Tyron Woodley the worst thing to ever happen to the welterweight division?

He's fighting top guys one after another, he's a great champ if anything.

Lets summarize Woodley's title run so far

-Gets a titleshot through a snoozefest split D win that happened almost a year and a half after said 'win'.
-Proceeds to KO Lawler stiff.
-First defense vs Wonderboy is a draw, and a letdown because boring as fuck. Add another snoozefest to Woodley's resume.
-Rematch vs Wonderboy happens to be even worse, Woodley gets another split D win and another snoozefest on his record.

Apart from the Lawler KO, thats mostly trash.

Yes, a champion who defends his title quite often is the worst thing to happen to the welterweight division. :rolleyes:

He's fighting top guys one after another, he's a great champ if anything.

Only because Nick Diaz declined a title fight, though

Yes, a champion who defends his title quite often is the worst thing to happen to the welterweight division. :rolleyes:

So the bare minimum expected of a champion?

A lot of wonder pillow fist fans in this thread

I wish woodley was more aggressive as a fighter though

I don't like him, but it is what it is, you don't have to like everybody. He just has no business being champ, he clearly lost to Thompson.

I miss Lawler. I'll leave it at that.

However, gotta give it to him, he defended against the guy that made sense so far at WW : Wonderboy the first time and the warranted rematch. I'm also glad he accepted to defend against Maia who is totally deserving of a shot. Unfortunately, he remains mostly boring and has been known to be annoying/said stupid shit quite a few times, still not the champ you want imo.

I don't mind Woodley, I never listen to him talk though so maybe I would if I did

None of these things are that annoying. Your thread is though.

• Beat an actually exciting, albeit very shot Robbie Lawler to win the title after waiting an eternity for a title shot. Fine, OK. I did pick Woodley to win, but had I any idea what would follow this, I'd have hoped for the complete opposite.
  • Nonsensical, completely ridiculous and incoherent rants about "racism" which he never actually gave an iota of evidence for. Alluded to the fact that people on Twitter were mean to him. Unironically said criticizing him for gassing is racist, insinuated people who didn't criticize Bigfoot/Hunt for gassing the same way they criticized Kimbo/Dada5000 were racist (also said Bigfoot/Hunt ended the same exact way as Kimbo/Dada5000), and compared himself to Martin Luther King.

• Perpetuates the """""money fight"""" garbage started by McGregor by constantly trying to fight Nick Diaz. People will say this doesn't matter because he still ended up fighting Thompson, unaware of the fact that Nick Diaz was actually offered a title shot against Woodley. Luckily Nick Diaz is the only person on the planet less intelligent than Woodley and turned it down

• Had two subpar fights with Thompson, the 2nd of which was a cure for insomnia. He also should've lost the 2nd fight but was bizarrely awarded the decision. Probably some more of that white privilege or something

• Has intellect of 15 year old girl that uses Twitter 24/7 and just discovered politics for the first time

• Admittedly has no drawing power whatsoever and begs like a petulant child to be on big cards

• Despite his rants about racism and privilege, has a comfy analyst job even though he's terrible at it. Once again, has the intellect of a 15 year old and is interchangeable with pretty much any other fighter (or anyone that knows anything about fighting, really. I'd pretty much rather listen to a Sherdogger at this point)

• Will likely beat Demian Maia (likely in subpar, boring fashion), someone who deserves to win a title. He won't win because he's overly good at anything, but because it's just a hard matchup for Maia by default. A big, strong, boring wrestler vs a jiu jitsu guy with limited striking.

Seriously, can anyone think about a single redeeming quality Tyron Woodley's reign has brought?

Woodley hasn't had the best Welter weight title reign, that is for sure. I do think a fight with Nate Diaz would be the best match up to draw PPV buys.

I may not care for him. Atleast hes very active. Better then some other champs that take 6 months to a year off and log jam a divison.

How is that a redeeming quality? How long did that sensation last for? The two nights you spent on Sherdog laughing at people? The first fight was a draw and he arguably should've lost the second one, lmao
Woodley did all the damage in those fights while Wonderboy was point fighting. Wonderboy as champion would've been much worse.
Who would you like to see as a champion?

Demian Maia will handle business at UFC 214

2nbrjmf.gif

Wow, Kone found someone besides Brock to hate on.

Who remember when it was said that Anderson Silva was the worst thing to happen to the MW division?

TS is racist confirmed. He should support Black Lives Matter alongside other terrorists groups. The media told me this is the truth.
BLM is going to drink your blood.

Tyron Woodley also thinks being from Ferguson makes him more knowledgeable about race relations even though it's the exact opposite. He's embarrassing.
How is it the opposite?

Back