Is Tristar and their gym obsolete?

well the trainers are still there, with their knowledge. i think they'll be ok

Wow, lose one fighter, everyone else is forgotten.

nice TS

Every other fighter BUT GSP is somewhat decent at best, but not great. It really seems like that had one great fighter, and even that great fighter was on the verge of having the MMA game completely pass him by just like BJ Penn, Liddell and Couture.

had a weak performance over Ellenberger.

Weak performance? He beat Ellenberger 30-27 and made him look like an amateur.

Yeah, it was boring but Rory's technical game shut Ellenberger down.

I'm not a huge Rory fan at all, and I want him to lose to Woodley, but don't make shit up.

lmfao the game didn't "pass GSP by", he just got shown to be someone who doesn't throw NEARLY enough right hand leads in practice.

Tristar still has top talent; why would they be obsolete?

Greg Jackson - I got Jon Jones
Greg Jackson - Be an artist your arms are like paintbrushes
Greg Jackson - Ill teach you 3 moves a day

*Talks about the 4 main disciplines*(Boxing, Muay Thai, Jiu jitsu, Wrestling)
Some people know 1 discipline really well, some coaches just know a bit of everything. But Firas knows every discipline really well. It's crazy how his brain works.

Firas,man I don't think he knows because I'm quiet but I really look up to him - Jonathan Brookins

*Quotes arent precise cause it was from a video but you get the point*
After this Mr Brookins became one with the buddah.

Awful topic I stopped reading when the ts talked about GSP being passed by in MMA via beating the current #1 guy in the class lmfao. Lets say the fight did go Hendrickcks way at the very best he would have won 3 - 2.

GSP is extremely battle worn and broken down of the time of that fight and he still won!!! You wanna know way? Because he is so far ahead of everyone when it comes to mma skill that it's not even close. The man is like a black in everything!! Even things that don't have belt systems!!!

Is TS the same guy that has a hard on for bashing Hawaiian fighters?

For Firas, coaching is both a full-time job and its Zahabi

drum.jpg

Their top protege is ONE win away from a title shot.

They aight.
Right?? Not fighting anyone outside of the top 10 in your past 4 fights (literally) and winning most of them counts as way better than "somewhat decent" in my book hahaha
Yes

Right?? Not fighting anyone outside of the top 10 in your past 4 fights (literally) and winning most of them counts as way better than "somewhat decent" in my book hahaha
Spoke too soon, Penn wasn't top 10 when Rory fought him but Ellenberger, Lawler and Maia all were.

I must say, the absolute worst part about being on dubs is the inability to edit posts. D:

I was talking about explaining why fighters who have been promoted as being particularly good have only turned out to be somewhat decent at best and mediocre and bad at worst. Hawaiin guys like Tavarres, Brown, Medieros, Smolke, Holloway and Doanes are one example. Tristar fighters like MacDonald, Carmont,Cote and Makdessi are another example. You can argue a few of all the above have been somewhat decent, but none of the fighters from these two groups have been impressive at all.

Tristar has a lot of scary good unknown guys. Especially Muay Thai/Kickboxing guys....
Rogan remarked on Tristar about all the killers that are in there...and he doesn't talk about the quality of gyms that much
It's one of the only big gyms in Canada and essentially is where the top talent dwells. As opposed to U.S theres ATT,AKA, Alliance, Reign etc...
For gods sake they even have a media guy who soley does Tristar... one of his videos

[YT]BpOGitVBEvM&hd=1[/YT]

Last edited:
There we're various factors that i believe contributed to GSP's poor showing against Hendricks. The GSP that fought Hendricks was a shadow of the fighter that fought Thiago Alves. Gsp's dominance began to fade when he stopped having Greg Jackson as his main cornerman. Firas is no where near the psychological motivator that Greg Jackson is and their cornering styles are complete contrast from one to the other.

The acl injury has had a definite impact on all areas of GSP's mma game. Fighters that GSP would have destroyed in the Fitch, Alves, koschek days, are now seemingly tall orders for a fighter who's abilities are clearly in the decline after years of fighting and training.

There is also the fact that GSP has played the role of reluctant warrior in that he wished to evolve into the best martial artist but has always struggled with the psychology behind fighting, especially after the Serra fight, where there was a distinct shift in his style of fighting, where he went from prolific finisher and beatdown artist, to the more conservative and methodical albeit still beatdown artist.

The final factor is ring wear. The constant training and fighting over 12 to 14 year period is gonna take a toll. When you consider all these factors the result was always going to be a decline in skills and overall performance. The fighter that wiped the floor with Fitch, Alves and Koschek, would have more then likely done the same to Hendricks, GSP is just not the fighter he used to be, and should stay retired, he's got nothing left to prove.

Back