Is Tristar and their gym obsolete?

emax

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
So after seeing GSP struggle as he did against Hendricks it seems clear that even if he had retained the title, and stayed in MMA, it would only be a matter of time before the MMA game was gonna pass him by just as it did Penn and Liddell. Within his next three defenses it was very likely that was gonna happen. And even Tristar's best fighters, Rory MacDonald, Patrick Cote and Francis Carmont, have been doing somewhat decent but not great. With Carmont, many would aruge he has been mediocre at best since it is most commonly believed his wins over Larkin and Tom Lawlor, the latter being a total unknown, don't count as wins.

Does Tristar just not have any good fighters to work with? Does Canada, with its karate, Muay Thai, Judo and Jiu Jitsu based fighters simply not have the elite athletes it needs to hang in there with the best American UFC fighters, which is holding Tristar back as they get mostly Canadian fighters? Or is Tristar assuming that the fight plan that worked for GSP for so many years is going to work for the new wave of UFC fighters, and assuming so incorrectly?

Rory Macdonald has been doing somewhat decent? huh?

Georges St-Pierre
Kenny Florian[2]
Miguel Torres
Hatsu Hioki[3]
David Loiseau
Patrick C

Alex Garcia looks good so far. Rory Mac is still a top ten WW. Carmont is still hanging around the top ten at middleweight.

Wow, lose one fighter, everyone else is forgotten.

nice TS

Tristar is still one of the top gyms in the world. It may on the lower rung of top gyms, when compared to ATT, Jacksons and AKA which are the 3 best.

I would love to see Mousasi join ATT, since wrestling seems to be a heavy focus there and they have the ability to take non wrestlers and turn them into good mma wrestlers.

Firas is a better coach then Greg Jackson

Greg has much more diversity and can cater his coaching around the particular style of the fighter. Firas basically has his fighters cater to his style of coaching which results in his fighters fighting as if they were clones of one another.

Thanks for the giggle m8.

Greg Jackson - I got Jon Jones
Greg Jackson - Be an artist your arms are like paintbrushes
Greg Jackson - Ill teach you 3 moves a day

*Talks about the 4 main disciplines*(Boxing, Muay Thai, Jiu jitsu, Wrestling)
Some people know 1 discipline really well, some coaches just know a little bit of everything. But Firas knows every discipline really well. It's crazy how his brain works, I just dont get it.

Firas,man I don't think he knows because I'm quiet but I really look up to him - Jonathan Brookins

*Quotes arent precise cause it was from a video but you get the point*

Thanks for the giggle m8.

BS. He destroyed Rorys image / style.

Greg has much more diversity and can cater his coaching around the particular style of the fighter. Firas basically has his fighters cater to his style of coaching which results in his fighters fighting as if they were clones of one another.

Keep in mind the guys' sig you are replying to.

Rory will become champion in the toughest division in MMA(WW). It is quite obvious...
Prediction made in Dec 3rd 2013

He might be just a little biased towards Firas and Tristar.

Rory Macdonald has been doing somewhat decent? huh?

Well he couldn't beat Lawlor and had a weak performance over Ellenberger and so that sort of means he has been doing somewhat decent but not great. And he did have to struggle pretty hard vs Maia, who is probably gonna lose his next two fights in brutal, decisive fashion and then get cut.

Back