Is this true?

IloveTHIS

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Hypothreahicle. You have two mugs of boiling hot coffee. Mug A you let cool 10 minutes, then add an icecube because its still hot. Mug B you reverse it and add the icecube right away, then let it cool 10 minutes.

It is my hunch mug A would be a few degrees lower than mug B after this process.

I feel like adding the icecube right away to something boiling hot would just obliterate it instantly and not result in much cooling potential. Am I wrong and basic energy conversion should mean both would result in the same temperature? Or is my gut intuition possibly right?

Hypothreahicle. You have two mugs of boiling hot coffee. Mug A you let cool 10 minutes, then add an icecube because its still hot. Mug B you reverse it and add the icecube right away, then let it cool 10 minutes.

It is my hunch mug A would be a few degrees lower than mug B after this process.

I feel like adding the icecube right away to something boiling hot would just obliterate it instantly and not result in much cooling potential. Am I wrong and basic energy conversion should mean both would result in the same temperature? Or is my gut intuition possibly right?
Hard to take the question seriously when the first word stumbled out the gate in such dramatic fashion.

I feel like this is something you could've done yourself in the time it took you to type this out.

But instinctively I believe you are right (not your spelling though). The energy required to lower a higher temperature is greater than a lower temperature so the ice cube would have more effect in the first mug

Water has immense ability to absorb heat and cold water even more. So the earlier it's introduced, the colder your beverage will be.

Obviously there is already water in coffee, but you get what I'm saying.

I think the hotter the coffee is, the faster it loses that heat. So if you let mug A sit for 10 minutes it will lose a lot of heat to the air, then add the ice and it will cool it down more.

If you add the ice first, it will cool the coffee as it melts, but once it's melted, then the coffee won't lose heat to the air as fast as it did in mug A.

I can't believe you're doing these cruel things to coffee, watering it down like that

1. **Mug A (Cools First, Ice Added Later)**: When you let the coffee cool for 10 minutes, it loses heat to the surrounding environment. The rate of heat loss is initially high because of the larger temperature difference between the coffee and the surroundings, but it decreases as the coffee cools down. When you add an ice cube after 10 minutes, the remaining heat in the coffee is used to melt the ice and then further cool the coffee. Since the coffee is not as hot when the ice is added, the ice cube will melt more slowly and will be more effective in cooling the coffee.

2. **Mug B (Ice Added First, Then Cools)**: Adding an ice cube to boiling hot coffee will cause rapid melting of the ice due to the high temperature difference. This rapid melting absorbs a significant amount of heat from the coffee quickly, but because the ice melts quickly, it may not be as effective in cooling the coffee over time. After the ice melts, the now warmer coffee continues to cool down for 10 minutes.

In theory, the amount of heat lost by the coffee in both scenarios should be similar, assuming the environment is the same for both mugs. However, in practice, the cooling curve might be slightly different due to factors like how quickly the ice melts and how heat transfer occurs in each scenario. Your intuition that Mug A might end up slightly cooler could be correct, especially if the ice cube in Mug B melts too quickly to efficiently cool the coffee over the duration of the 10 minutes.

While the basic principle of energy conservation suggests that both mugs should eventually reach a similar temperature, the dynamics of the cooling process (rate of heat loss to the environment, rate of ice melting) can lead to different cooling curves. Mug A might end up slightly cooler after the entire process due to the more efficient use of the ice cube's cooling potential, as the ice melts more slowly and steadily in the already somewhat cooled coffee. However, the difference in final temperatures might be small and also depends on various factors like the size of the ice cube, the initial temperature of the coffee, and the ambient temperature.

source: ChatGPT

Last edited:

Bud, it really depends on how long after you will drink it, after adding the ice cube. If you wait long enough it will just become roughly the same but slightly lower than the temperature of the environment it's in, room temperature if it's inside, in either situation. Given there is a stable, constant temperature in the environment

Last edited:
1. **Mug A (Cools First, Ice Added Later)**: When you let the coffee cool for 10 minutes, it loses heat to the surrounding environment. The rate of heat loss is initially high because the larger temperature difference between the coffee and the surroundings, but it decreases as the coffee cools down. When you add an ice cube after 10 minutes, the remaining heat in the coffee is used to melt the ice and then further cool the coffee. Since the coffee is not as hot when the ice is added, the ice cube will melt more slowly and will be more effective in cooling the coffee.

2. **Mug B (Ice Added First, Then Cools)**: Adding an ice cube to boiling hot coffee will cause rapid melting of the ice due to the high temperature difference. This rapid melting absorbs a significant amount of heat from the coffee quickly, but because the ice melts quickly, it may not be as effective in cooling the coffee over time. After the ice melts, the now warmer coffee continues to cool down for 10 minutes.

In theory, the amount of heat lost by the coffee in both scenarios should be similar, assuming the environment is the same for both mugs. However, in practice, the cooling curve might be slightly different due to factors like how quickly the ice melts and how heat transfer occurs in each scenario. Your intuition that Mug A might end up slightly cooler could be correct, especially if the ice cube in Mug B melts too quickly to efficiently cool the coffee over the duration of the 10 minutes.

While the basic principle of energy conservation suggests that both mugs should eventually reach a similar temperature, the dynamics of the cooling process (rate of heat loss to the environment, rate of ice melting) can lead to different cooling curves. Mug A might end up slightly cooler after the entire process due to the more efficient use of the ice cube's cooling potential, as the ice melts more slowly and steadily in the already somewhat cooled coffee. However, the difference in final temperatures might be small and also depends on various factors like the size of the ice cube, the initial temperature of the coffee, and the ambient temperature.

source: ChatGPT

Lol and I was impressed for a second. ChatGPT my anus!

The ** should have given it away to me though. I'm too stoned.

Last edited:
I can't believe you're doing these cruel things to coffee, watering it down like that
early in the morning I need caffeine in my system pronto. otherwise never would. straight black as the blackhole I call my soul, 4 life

Lol and I was impressed for a second. ChatGPT my anus!

The ** should have given it away to me though. I'm too stoned.
Hey I basically said the same thing and I didn't use chat GPT!

I used Google

Hey I basically said the same thing and I didn't use chat GPT!

I used Google

Good ol' Google Fu still hasn't been dethroned by ChatGPT!

Trying to get a gif of Neo doing Google Fu included in my post, but it's just too large...

The ice cubes would lower the coffee temperature equally.​

They Don't Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do.

Back