Is this OK or Cheap?

As far as choking the chin/face goes, my opinion of it is this. If someone is choking my chin and I can't manage to escape, I will normally tap and then tell them they didn't have the choke on properly. Not because I need an ego boost, but because they should know that they weren't applying it effectively. A lot of the time you can both sit there for ages with nothing happening except giving the choker tired arms and the chokee gi burn...

Yeah, it pisses me off when I get a forearm in the throat or when I get my face smashed defending a rnc but it is legit. I find most new guys try that forearm in the face thing, and i just bump the elbow and throw on a arm triangle.

Im a white belt so bear with me. Someone posted that tucking your chin in is not consider a valid defense against a choke. But my instructor has taught us many times that when defending against the choke, you have to tuck your chin in and then work the escape.

Do you guys mean one shouldn't just tuck their chin in, and just wait? or am i missing something here?

Im a white belt so bear with me. Someone posted that tucking your chin in is not consider a valid defense against a choke. But my instructor has taught us many times that when defending against the choke, you have to tuck your chin in and then work the escape.

Do you guys mean one shouldn't just tuck their chin in, and just wait? or am i missing something here?

That's correct. Tucking your chin while working your escape will buy you a little more time to get out. Tucking your chin and sitting there like an idiot while your jaw gets crushed in the hopes that your opponent will give up on the choke is about as good an idea as letting your elbow get hyperextended and hoping he'll give up on the armbar. In both situations the person being submitted is a moron who is jeopardizing his own safety. The only difference is the moron getting his jaw crushed is more likely to complain about how you "didn't have the choke on properly".

Don't get me wrong - intentional face chokes are a dick move in my book. But if I'm performing the choke properly and you choose to put your jaw in the way while doing nothing else to defend, you have nobody to blame but yourself. (Actually I'll usually let go and move on to something else anyway - I don't think getting a tap in training is worth injuring somebody, even if he is being an idiot.)

Yeah, it pisses me off when I get a forearm in the throat or when I get my face smashed defending a rnc but it is legit. I find most new guys try that forearm in the face thing, and i just bump the elbow and throw on a arm triangle.

you mean arm triangle from guard?

Don't get me wrong - intentional face chokes are a dick move in my book. But if I'm performing the choke properly and you choose to put your jaw in the way while doing nothing else to defend, you have nobody to blame but yourself. (Actually I'll usually let go and move on to something else anyway - I don't think getting a tap in training is worth injuring somebody, even if he is being an idiot.)

ya know i've actually been curious about this myself. i had a purple bitch at me once about tucking my chin instead of "working escapes." he had my back and yeah, i tucked my chin -- seems the sensible thing to do -- but i was also fighting off his hands, breaking grips, trying to break out of his legs, etc. i'm sure there are more technical escapes than what i was trying to do, i just don't know them yet. um, hello, white belt here.

typically when a higher belt gives me advice i thank them and take it to heart. but honestly, i kinda felt like the guy was just frustrated because he wasn't able to finish me off in whatever 2 minute drill we were doing. he gets that way sometimes. i mean, christ, i'm sure he could've finished me in at least a half dozen other ways if time hadn't run out.

frankly i think i was doing a pretty decent job of defending myself, given my knowledge base. point is: don't bitch at me for not using a more technical defense. SHOW it to me fer chrissake, but don't bitch at me for using what little i know. if your only option is to try and choke me thru my face, how is that bad on me? and if we're just training, what's there even to be pissy about?

Whenever I get the back in training and encounter a chin I can't get under with minimal effort I just transition to something else. But in my head I am aware that in a tournament roll the choke would have been applied anyhow.

sounds good to me, the blue should be able to defend himself from that, next time when you go cross collar with the left, overhook his left arm with your right arm, once overhooked grab the lapel on his right side (near chest area, this grip just cuts all the slack, doesnt need to be deep in his throat), then get up on your two feet, knees off ground and put all your weight on your left forearm into his throat, he will tap, it's a tough choke to get down at first but with practice people are not going to want you sitting in their half guard like that and they will need to move or get tapped

at white belt dont concern yourself too much with subbing people, work on defense more and transitioning, subs will come easier when you are rolling more smoothly

Back