Is this OK or Cheap?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by interj, Jul 20, 2010.

1. interj

interj White Belt

I'm a 7 month white and just want to check on a technique to make sure it's cool.

Just recently moved up to the intermediate class so now I'm rolling with mostly blue.

I stay on top most of the time because my guards not that strong, Ill pull guard with a white belt but not a blue.

Anyway, I sometime get's into their half guard and can work chokes from here. So for example, I'm in half guard of the my left side (he has my right leg caught). I'll go cross collar with my left hand. Get it deep and some time be able to get a bow/arrow choke. If not I just use the one arm to apply pressure the throat to work my leg free. I'll go back and forth between trying for a 2 handed choke or just working the leg out by applying pressure. My question, is it a cheap thing to keep the forearm on the throat for pressure or is it just like every other choke attempt?

Just checking because I don't want to piss off any of the new guys I'm rolling with now. I know some people say cross faces are cheap.

Thanks.

2. armtriangle

armtriangle Brown Belt

Nah, it's cool.

3. Damien Karras

Damien Karras Mirabile dichtu, don't you agree?

whatever works. If you're tapping people with the intention of it being a choke then go for it.

But that being said I'm concerned about the fact that you're pulling guard on blue belts. I love pulling guard on higher ranked belts knowing they're going to pass it because it helps me work on my escapes. I find escapes are the most overlooked part of BJJ and most schools don't work on them enough.

4. hughes fan

hughes fan Silver Belt

I actually had the same problem until the guy I was rolling with told me stop and said "Put your arm across my throat and see how much easier it is to control." The reality is that it's just easier to do what you would normally do but don't go as far as to just push your forearm with your free arm so try and submit that way because that it cheap.

5. interj

interj White Belt

Sebchenier - Do you mean you're concerned I'm not pulling guard on blues?

I figure when I'm going against someone better, let me try what works best. I tend to work on the new things and weak areas against equal or lesser training partners. Might be wrong, it's just were I am in my stage of training.

6. sher dog

sher dog Banned Banned

In training you dont want to kill your partner

7. Stungun101

Stungun101 Red Belt

How do you expect to get better then?

8. Crissd4

Crissd4 Blue Belt

just like when defending an armbar knee on the head and jiggle. if its loose. don't break that.

9. malpjones

malpjones Orange Belt

i can't speak for jiu jitsu but back in the day when i first started judo the higher belts told me to go hard at them and then would proceed to throw me all over the gym, it definitely helps you get better though, i'd be surprised if the blue belts you're rolling with haven't been in that position before and probably wouldn't be threatened unless of course you started dropping big elbows on their throats.

10. interj

interj White Belt

I don't understand what this means?

Also, the point about, you don't want to kill your training partner, does that mean I should not be do the move as described?

11. bjjaz

bjjaz Got the Rock...Time to Roll

No you should be ok, if not I do some massive shoulder pressure when trying to pass 1/2 guard.

12. Mitchell

Mitchell Yellow Belt

I think it's fine, just don't crush their throat by forcing it to the mat, just use the leverage from holding the collar.

13. bjjaz

Well a blue belt should be able to capitalize if you are just using forearm pressure on their throat. I would be on my side and if you reached that high up on me like that, I would def take your back or sweep.

14. mehp

mehp Orange Belt

Is it cheap when you work for a RNC and you have the hand under the chin and just push it strongly against the throat making them submit due to the pain?

15. armtriangle

armtriangle Brown Belt

hadaka jime. Not cheap.

It also sets up the RNC. People need to learn that tucking the chin is not really a valid defense... sometimes blasting through it sends that message clearly. I don't think we do our training partners any favors by being overly nice, especially with the chin tuck.

I actually had a guy tap to a bow choke and tell me "you were not choking me, you were just hurting my chin." I said "oh sorry" because I am a pretend nice guy. But I wanted to say "well you should move it next time. In competition I would have probably broken your jaw." Same thing with blocking chokes by sticking four fingers in, expect to get choked with your own fingers and possibly have them broken.

I am kind of an ass that way I guess. If you are so concerned about getting tapped that you chin tuck and let me squeeze you, then I guess I should be equally concerned enough to just squeeze it until you move it on your own.

16. BSFT

BSFT Brown Belt

this. when people do the forearm crush on my throat, i look to shoot it across my neck and hit the arm triangle. if that doesn't work, take the back or look to sweep. i'm pretty tall, so if they are putting pressure on my neck like that, they are way off their posture and over extended and vulnerable to all of the above.

17. BSFT

BSFT Brown Belt

for the most part, i'll let you keep squeezing, then when your arms gas out, i'll escape and take advantage of that acid build up.

18. Flapjack666

Flapjack666 Purple Belt

^^ What he said.....you're 7 mnths in - time to open up and take some chances with the higher belts too. Your stifling your own development.......so you get passed......you'll get tapped more.....but that's the game

in the aftermath of getting beat up you'll learn way more

19. bnosam

bnosam Green Belt

No offense but you sound like a complete prick to train with.

20. bjjaz

I disagree, I have done the major tournaments and if people take it easy on you then you are in for a big surprise. Why not learn the right way to do it? I mean I take it easy but for comp training, sometimes learning the hard way is the only way.

I mean I wouldn't wanna try and injure someone or fingers, but you gotta go hard if you wanna compete at a higher level.