Is this an OK strength routine for punching power?

I don't think any sort of weight lifting program can directly improve punching power but the ones that do seem to help are deads, squats and Olympic lifts. I don't see how pullups and benching will help with punching power much (if at all) since you're not punching with your arms or lats, but your whole body. Technique and balance is the best way to improve power and that will only go as far as your genetics will allow.

Follow a complete strength and conditioning program. This alone looks rather bad to me. Doing a more traditional strength and conditioning program will benefit you overall more, and it will probably put more power on your punches as well. That being said, if I was you and I had someone to teach me, I'd look into an Olympic weightlifting influenced strength training regiment. Explosive lifts are going to the the most for punching power. Power jerks will be amazing for punching power. Other than that, I'd focus my strength training on OHP, Bench press, Pendlay rows, squats, and deadlifts. A accessory lift that would be good for you would be wood choppers as it directly translates to the type of movement you would do when throwing a cross or hook.

A chiropractor and some yoga instructor said I should not squat or DL. You still can squat and DL with scoliosis but it can make it worse, and I am joining the army so it can't get worse otherwise I'll fail the medical.

This statement right here makes me know you have no idea whether you can squat or deadlift. That chiropractor knows just about as much about that as the yoga instructor most likely. Don't ever waste your money on a chiropractor. They are mostly bullshit. Go to a real doctor. I highly doubt all forms of squats are out of the question. Back squats might be, but other forms of squats can be substituted. Deadlifts, I don't know, but go to a real doctor first. You also may want to see a doctor that specializes in working with athletes.

Its a given that technique work is the most effective method at improving activity-specific power, and I.doubt any regular in F13 would dispute that. Beyond that, however, heavy lifting, sprints, and plyos are generally considered secondary ways to the same ends. If you have a pre-existing structural abnormality that may prohibit you from doing that, I would visit a sports medicine doctor to determine if I could.

You need to do some squatting as well as athletic type moves like box jumps and stuff if you want punching power. Give me powerful legs and ass to compliment good technique any day.

As ancillary help, anyway.

You need to see a proper doctor (not a chiropractor or some yoga guy) and find out exactly what you can and can't do.

It's possible that deadlifts and squats might not be the best choice. It's also possible that they'd be incredibly beneficial, not only for boxing but for your condition in general. It's also possible that there might be other exercises that are contraindicated or beneficial for your condition that you're unaware of. So you need to see a medical professional, and maybe more than one.

Thanks, the guy who examined me before i got my xray was a spinal surgeon. However I didn't ask him about deadlifting, the thing is my scoliosis also causes my pelvis to be tilted

I don't think any sort of weight lifting program can directly improve punching power but the ones that do seem to help are deads, squats and Olympic lifts. I don't see how pullups and benching will help with punching power much (if at all) since you're not punching with your arms or lats, but your whole body. Technique and balance is the best way to improve power and that will only go as far as your genetics will allow.

When it comes to upper body muscles actually the lats are actually used a lot in a punch, take a look at most hard hitters in boxing they all got fairly good lats

Has anyone got a good strength routine then I can follow which would also help my fighting?

Damn this turned from the usual bad punching power advice thread into an "I'm a doctor" thread pretty quickly. Thank you Tosa for stepping back in with teh logicz.

Punching power can be ASSISTED by strength lifting. The power you develop in the weight room can be UTILIZED by hundreds of thousands of repetitions of ever improving technique. Punching power comes as much from balance, relaxation, speed, and timing (and I mean minuscule bio-mechanical timing) as it does from strength. You will likely not punch very much harder for as much time and effort as you're going to put into the weight room... and you will never develop the "snap" that KOs people without technical practice.

So to answer your question... no, that's not a great punching power workout, but it might help if you also threw a thousand punches a week.

Thanks, the guy who examined me before i got my xray was a spinal surgeon. However I didn't ask him about deadlifting, the thing is my scoliosis also causes my pelvis to be tilted

Well then you should know what you need to do. Ask him, or someone similarly qualified (maybe a doctor of sports medicine) about what types of exercises you can and can't do, what exercises warrant caution and which ones would benefit someone with your condition. Then, with that information, it'd be possible to construct a strength program for boxing.

Without it, it's just people making guesses. And avoiding lower body work entirely is a terrible solution.

Hold a couple of 2.5 or 5 pound dumbells in your hands and do Bas Rutten boxing tapes. I'm not entirely sure if it increases punching power but my speed has risen.

Last edited:
Hold a couple of 2.5 or 5 pound dumbells in your hands and do Bas Rutten boxing tapes. I'm not entirely sure if it increases punching power but my speed has been more prominent.

This will do more for muscular endurance than actually increase punching power. Bas does do cable punches for increased punching power. That is an acceptable accessory movement for increasing punching power as it's the same movement as a punch, but with resistance. You wouldn't want to go too heavy though. You need resistance, but you need it to be light enough to keep the punches fast and snappy.

go see a sports doctor. Not a has been. Not a chiropractor. Not some dude that's been an administrator at a hospital. A real life person who does nothing but treat SPORTS injuries.

Anyone else doesn't know your real capabilities.

go see a sports doctor. Not a has been. Not a chiropractor. Not some dude that's been an administrator at a hospital. A real life person who does nothing but treat SPORTS injuries.

Anyone else doesn't know your real capabilities.

Yep, pre-existing medical condition? Don't take advice from the internet.

And no one here should be giving any advice aside from 'go see a doctor'. Even if you are appropriately trained, I doubt anyone can assess the capabilities of someone with a medical condition without actually examining them.

I will say that the posted routine seems extremely limited, and I'm sure with the assistance of a doctor/physio there are routines that can incorporate more lower/core/compound exercises safely (and those will translate to punching power just as much as any upper body exercises.

The chiro and the yoga guy are as qualified as your random web poster that only sees blogs.

Go to a real doctor.

I dont understand people who are quick to dismiss going for a doctor, i would say most are cheap but then again even Steve Jobs went alternative for fucking pancreatic cancer.

I dont understand people who are quick to dismiss going for a doctor, i would say most are cheap but then again even Steve Jobs went alternative for fucking pancreatic cancer.

The man is also batshit insane so...

theres also a slew of incompetent to horrible doctors. getting a good one is rolling the dice.
definitely a sports doctor is the way to go.

also, for "punching power" - understanding kinetics and stretching / strengthening so ur body is moving as it should in all stages of fatigue, and everything is correctly aligned > any form of barbel dumbell training

The chiro and the yoga guy are as qualified as your random web poster that only sees blogs.

Go to a real doctor.

Funny enough he blamed alternative treatment for his failure in the end and wished he had maintained normal treatments.

Treating cancer is brutal, it works sometimes, and other times it doesn't, but NOT treating it pretty much just lets it kill you. So many people get off 'traditional' (ie actual) treatments like chemo and start something "alternative" and proclaim how much better they feel, not seeming to realize that yes, they feel better since they're off chemo ('it was killing me, I felt sick all the time, it was worse than the disease!'), but now there's nothing actually stopping the cancer and that it's going to kill them.

There's a story right now in Canada about a native girl (forget the age, but young) who has cancer and has decided to stop treatment, because Jesus told her to use tribal medicine. I kid you not. And although I in no way think that anyone should have the right to force her in any way to go through with treatment, when she dies it's going to be interesting seeing what happens.

and by tribal medicine, do you mean marijuana? Cuz there's allegedly some girl using cannabis oil and "beating her cancer".

Back