Is this an OK strength routine for punching power?

james gatti

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
monday: weighted pull ups 5x5 weighted chin ups 5x5 and rows 6-8 reps 3-4 sets
friday: incline bench 6-8 reps shoulder press 5x5 weighted dips 5x5 tricep pull downs 6-8 reps 3-4 sets barbell shrugs I usually do 65 kg and just do 15 reps then kettlebell shrugs just doing reps and core work.

Remember 2-3 times a week when im not lifting weights im at the boxing club doing cardio and bodyweight training, also I am not eating loads of calories so I wont put on 'bulk'. Is this routine okay for punching power? will adding in the extra rows and tricep pull downs doing 6-8 reps ruin any strength gains? Thank you :)

That all sounds fine, but how much are you actually hitting the heavy bag? You should be trying to throw power punches, lightly and with good technique, at least once a day.

The biggest part of punching power is actually technique, because it really does not matter how heavy your hips/core/triceps/etc. are if you don't actually know how to set them into punches. Some of the biggest people I've ever met can't punch worth dick because they just didn't know how to put their bodyweight into punches. Strength training for power pretty much just boils down to strengthening, and adding mass to the muscles which form the weight in your shots.

Squat.

Power starts at the feet.

Might want to consider swapping in some hip/core-dominant lifts like squats, deads, and cleans for some of the upper-body work.

No.

That's really bad.

The standard sherdog response will be squat, 5/3/1, starting strength, and so forth.

Unless you have good punching technique, and accuracy, then I'd train for general strength gains.

If your not punching correctly your strength won't make much of a difference, and if you can't hit a target none of it matters.

Remember I'm not trying to get really strong, just trying to improve punching power, deads and squats is a no because I have a curved lower spine which will get worse with deads and squats. I'm not an mma fighter or anything just a boxer so I don't need to be able to lift my opponent up and throw them, Im just trying to add some extra power to my punch

You can't have a curved lower spine. You can have muscle imbalances (that can either be or cannot be fixed, depending on the nature of the imbalance) that lead to a curve in your lower back, but I'm not sure how you can naturally have a curved lower back.

You can't have a curved lower spine. You can have muscle imbalances (that can either be or cannot be fixed, depending on the nature of the imbalance) that lead to a curve in your lower back, but I'm not sure how you can naturally have a curved lower back.

I have mild scoliosis

I have mild scoliosis

Not saying you should or shouldn't squat but my buddy has a mild scoliosis and he competes in powerlifting. Lamar Gant has severe scoliosis and had some incredible lifts.

Has a sports medicine physician told you not to squat? Or are you assuming you can't.

Not saying you should or shouldn't squat but my buddy has a mild scoliosis and he competes in powerlifting. Lamar Gant has severe scoliosis and had some incredible lifts.

Has a sports medicine physician told you not to squat? Or are you assuming you can't.
A chiropractor and some yoga instructor said I should not squat or DL. You still can squat and DL with scoliosis but it can make it worse, and I am joining the army so it can't get worse otherwise I'll fail the medical.

I have a curved lower spine which will get worse with deads and squats.
And what would be better? I can't dead or squat.

I was going to attempt a serious reply, but then I read this:
I have mild scoliosis

Here is a pic of a person with a more-than-mild scoliosis:
lamar-gant-scoliosis.jpg

And here is a vid of that same person deadlifting a world record:

I was going to attempt a serious reply, but then I read this:

Here is a pic of a person with a more-than-mild scoliosis:
lamar-gant-scoliosis.jpg

And here is a vid of that same person deadlifting a world record:

Like I have said previously, I can't dead or squat because it will make my scoliosis worse and I will fail the army medical. I know lamar could squat but he wasn't joining the army was he? Therefore he did not have to care about how bad his scoliosis was.

A chiropractor and some yoga instructor said I should not squat or DL. You still can squat and DL with scoliosis but it can make it worse, and I am joining the army so it can't get worse otherwise I'll fail the medical.

jennifer-lawrence-10.gif

I have mild scoliosis

My understanding is that "mild" scoliosis doesn't mean much and that you can train anything with it.

My recommendation would be that you actually meet a proper orthopedist and figure out what you can or cannot do.

You cannot rely on a chiro for things. At worst they're total quacks, at best they recognize that most of their claims are bullshit and stick with just dealing with structural imbalances that they can handle, and they won't paralyze you by accident.

As for a yoga instructor... Are you serious?

My understanding is that "mild" scoliosis doesn't mean much and that you can train anything with it.

My recommendation would be that you actually meet a proper orthopedist and figure out what you can or cannot do.

You cannot rely on a chiro for things. At worst they're total quacks, at best they recognize that most of their claims are bullshit and stick with just dealing with structural imbalances that they can handle, and they won't paralyze you by accident.

As for a yoga instructor... Are you serious?

Thank you but my worry is turning that mild scoliosis into a moderate scoliosis its currently 24 degrees moderate is around 25-30 degrees

You need to see a proper doctor (not a chiropractor or some yoga guy) and find out exactly what you can and can't do.

It's possible that deadlifts and squats might not be the best choice. It's also possible that they'd be incredibly beneficial, not only for boxing but for your condition in general. It's also possible that there might be other exercises that are contraindicated or beneficial for your condition that you're unaware of. So you need to see a medical professional, and maybe more than one.

Back