Is there any good excuse or is Barao over rated?

Barao @ 9 years undefeated is hardly over rated....Dillashaw just flat out whupped his ass, it happens. The Team Alpha Males had the blue print to beat him just had to find the right man for the job.

Barao underestimated his opponent. I think he would win a rematch.

Barao was arguably No.3 P4P in the world, he met a rapidly evolving fighter who fought the fight of his life. He isn't overrated and no excuse need to be made, TJ is or at least was, better.

barao is a good fighter, but the lighter divisions are not established as well as 155 through 185 and thus not as stacked, so it is too early for pound for pound in those divisions until we see more. p4p is too hard to measure in mma and can make people look really silly. They are getting deep but I feel like 125 and 135 are still int he process of growing

Pretty much.

TJ came to fight and Barao had never faced such adversity.

I can't remember Barao ever being hurt, much less in trouble before. I'm sure being concussed played a huge role, and Dillashaw said as much post-fight, Barao looked shell-shocked and a bit scared after the first and third rounds.

Awesome performance by Dillashaw

LOL typical sherdog, the guy wins 34 in a row and dominates for years and when he finally loses his first fight in almost a decade, he's overrated.

LOL Barao is a beast, it's just that TJ whooped his ass tonight.

If there was a legitimate excuse I do think Barao might have underestimated Dillashaw. It doesn't matter though.

I think after he got clocked, he never really recovered. It could have been a finish right there, but Barao was damn tough and hung in there.

Barao is a very good striker, but he is not great . The thing that he lacks is speed. Aldo is bigger and fighting in a heavier weigh class but he is clearly faster than Barao.

How is winning 35 fights in a row hype? Renan is not any less great after the fight as he was before. Jesus Christ, if you're gonna be a fan of someone. Be a fan through wins and loses. Don't discredit a fighters career because of 1 loss.

He's not overrated. TJ, however, was apparently very underrated.

Dana only calls ppl p4p when their ppv is coming up. Thats why hes always switching who it. This time it made him look like a complete dumbass cause the best p4p fighter in ufc just lost to the #4 ranked fighter. Keep up thr good work dana.

I think TJ was more underrated than Barao overrated.

Also I love that he didn't make any excuses in the post fight interview and said he'd be back for his belt.

Renan Barao was worth every inch of what Dana said about him. The guy was destroying guys in the division for a long time. You not losing since 2005 counts for something. However the same thing that happened to Silva, happened to him. He ran up against a wrestler with a deadly underrated stand up game. To be honest the angles and strikes TJ was throwing I've never seen before. His dancing around reminded me actually of Ali and the way he kept shifting out of the way reminded me of Mayweather. I've never watched TJ before and I only watched this card to see Lawler.

Lawler performed as I expected he would but TJ surprised the fuck out of me. The kid was just a better fighter. A lot of these Brazilian champions like JDS, Silva, and Barao get these reputations that they are unstoppable and almost ethereal. However, it seems like the cure to this is the American wrestler with amazing striking.

Barao is a very good striker, but he is not great . The thing that he lacks is speed. Aldo is bigger and fighting in a heavier weigh class but he is clearly faster than Barao.

This sums up Sherdog nicely.

TJ is just that much better, technically speaking. It doesn't make anyone overrated.

Back