Is there any bias against no-gi grapplers?

centurion911

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I currently train in no-gi Jiu-Jitsu , but some of my friends say that they wouldn't recognize it unless i was training with a gi.

Is this devaluation a common theme or just the opinion of some people?

i think no-gi grapplers are more adept at adapting to either style personally

My gym doesn't offer it. One of these days I'm going to convince my instructor to give it a try.

Most legit schools, aside from 10th Planet, won't rank you if you never touch the gi.
It's like saying you are a good racecar driver when all you have ever done is race motorcycles. It's not exaaaccttly the same thing.

Some people believe that you need to train in a Gi to be good at no-gi. I personally believe thats already been proven wrong. But hey, thats just my opinion.

I always wondered if someone were to no-gi grapple 2 people, one who trains in a Gi, and one who doesnt, would that person be able to tell which one was which?

i would say just opinion of some people. no-gi is in itself a slightly different animal.

Some people believe that you need to train in a Gi to be good at no-gi. I personally believe thats already been proven wrong. But hey, thats just my opinion.

I always wondered if someone were to no-gi grapple 2 people, one who trains in a Gi, and one who doesnt, would that person be able to tell which one was which?

When has that been proven wrong? Look at all the top recent ADCC champions bro.

To quote The Joker......

"And.....here......we......go."

My gym does both. I think they're both fun and practical. I don't see why folks would neglect one for the other.

We gi guys tend to get pissed off at you no-gi guys when you crank leglocks and injure us.

And, you don't get belts for no-gi. Just accept that.

Other than that, I don't think there's a general bias or discrimination going on.

I'm primarily a gi guy, but I do both these days and I like both gi and no-gi in different ways.

IMO if you can only find no-gi programs then it is definately better than nothing. I started doing only no-gi and once I started training in the gi I adapted very well. I think the down side is everybody tells me I'm a sand bagger. But, I was technically a white belt seeing as there are a lot of GI chokes and grips and a lot of other things I didn't know.

When I went from a school that was primarily no-gi to a school that was almost entirely gi, a lot of people (none of whom had trained with me before) told me that I was going to have to learn to be more technical and not muscle things. This turned out to be funny since the training at the no-gi school was very technical whereas the gi school was vey much based on speed power and aggressiveness.

When I went from a school that was primarily no-gi to a school that was almost entirely gi, a lot of people (none of whom had trained with me before) told me that I was going to have to learn to be more technical and not muscle things. This turned out to be funny since the training at the no-gi school was very technical whereas the gi school was vey much based on speed power and aggressiveness.

That's strange. Perhaps you were comparing higher-level no-gi grapplers to lower-level gi grapplers?

Noooooo, not again.

Different thread title, same trend.

People who only train no gi tend to be douchebags, amateurs, or both.

People who only train no gi tend to be douchebags, amateurs, or both.

Or instead of being a dick, maybe you can understand a lot of HS wrestlers enjoy no gi jiujitsu. I don't like clothing hindering me, it drives me crazy. I've only done no gi because it appealed to me more based on my background and I'm sure it's the same way for a lot of no gi guys. They're probably ex wrestlers, and/or don't give a shit about the TMA mentality.

That said, I'm going to start training in a Gi once a week, looks fun and heard it will help my no gi game.

Back