Is there any bias against no-gi grapplers?

I prefer no gi and think it's more fun to roll without the gi but it's all preference. They're both worth doing. To be honest, what I hate most about the gi is the constantly rewashing it(I don't have the money to have multiple gis) and I feel uncomfortable wearing it and using the grips on the gi while rolling. That all being said I train (and suck) at both.

Then learn to sweep them and/or take them down and use your top game instead of pulling guard/getting ragdolled like a dork.

Yes, and their background is something else. They just train enough jiu jitsu for defense and things like that, IE strikers who trained some grappling.

Jake Shields? Jeff Monson? Josh Barnett? Matt Lindland? Matt Hughes?

These are just a handful of the many guys that never put the gi on but are primarily submission grapplers and are successful in pro MMA.

No. Both schools were run by black belts (the gi school by a sixth degree and the no-gi school by a fourth degree), and most of the students were whites and blues, with some purples and browns. The gi school has been around longer and has more high level people (a given class might have a few black belt students), but the vast majority of students in class at either school had less than five years of training.

Having spent three years at the no-gi school and two years at the gi school, the differences are as follows:

The no-gi school emphasized technical mechanics, timing, and detail.
The gi school emphasizes speed, power, and aggression.
The no-gi school emphasized pressure in passing the guard, often on the knees.
The gi school emphasizes speed in passing the guard, often on the feet.
The warm-up at the no-gi school was often technique drills (escapes, submissions, combinations of moves with little to no resistance)
The warm-up at the gi school is calesthenics (running, pushups, burpees, etc)
The average student age at the no-gi school was in the early to mid 30s.
The average student age at the gi school is mid 20s.

There are other things, but I think this gives the idea of it. The really odd thing is that my previous school only had one gi class per week, but I learned more detail about how to do basic collar chokes than similar ranked students at the gi school I go to now.

Sounds like you either went to a really good no-gi school, or a really shitty gi school, or both.

I don't respect/have a "bias" against any dude who says "I'm only a gi guy" Or "Nahh man I only train no gi and MMA" Both are stupid, jiu jitsu is a martial art that has roots in both gi and no gi, so attaching yourself to only one, limits you. I see just as many douche bags that train with the gi, as I see in no gi. I personally prefer rolling with the gi, because its just funner to me & gives me more options, but I train both pretty equally.

Umm I was making a joke about how no-gi grappling tournaments are overrun by people who don't bother with anything but wrestling. They get the take down and literally bear hug you for the rest of the match for a 2-0 win.

Read my sig.

The second quote.

Read my sig.

The second quote.

In this case, though, the wrestlers do need to do something. They need to train in grappling so they can win advanced divisions, not just beginner and novice divisions.

In this case, though, the wrestlers do need to do something. They need to train in grappling so they can win advanced divisions, not just beginner and novice divisions.

By grappling do you mean gi? Because this guy Rustam Chsiev seems to be doing just fine YouTube - Rustam Chsiev

By grappling do you mean gi? Because this guy Rustam Chsiev seems to be doing just fine YouTube - Rustam Chsiev

No, gi or no-gi is fine but you have to learn grappling to succeed in grappling, just wrestling isn't enough to prepare you for the advanced or usually even intermediate division

Or rather the BJJ guy (CroChuck) needs to do something, he's the one who's down on points, and that since he's who we are talking about here. Maybe get his guard game up? Learn takedowns maybe?

Here's the thing. People who go out and say "I absolutely refuse to do *blank*" are usually douchebags.

People aren't biased against nogi grapplers. People are biased against douchebags which nogi seems to attract.

Douchebags do gi too. They just arent near as vocal.

Or rather the BJJ guy (CroChuck) needs to do something, he's the one who's down on points, and that since he's who we are talking about here. Maybe get his guard game up? Learn takedowns maybe?

there are the rules of the competition and the sprit of the compeition. Usually grappling competitions want people to engage on the ground. Is it illegal? NO, does it go with the spirit of the competition? no.

I've never understood why most people who train in the gi are so shit at takedowns. All competitions start standing up and you get points for the takedown, so why not spend some time on learning to shoot a double or a single? Hell, go take some judo classes and learns some cool throws. Well roundedness is a good thing.

Just to clarify, my Martial Arts School has a Gi and a No-Gi class with 2 different instructors. The Gi instructor has been on indefinite leave for about 3 months, I've only been at the school for 4 months. The only class that I have been able to go to is the No-Gi class, but some of the guys that I know from the Jiu Jitsu academy refuse to call us grapplers, they like the term "meatheads" or "MMA delusionals". I was just wondering if this was the norm for Gi practitioners.

Last edited:
if it's only some of the guys at the bjj gym that call you that then even at the bjj gym it's not the norm.

and another thing that you seem to dismiss is that enough of your no gi class members give off a meatheat or TUF wannbe vibe.

and another thing that you seem to dismiss is that enough of your no gi class members give off a meatheat or TUF wannbe vibe.

Or maybe that enough of the gi class members give off an elitist prick vibe. Or maybe a little of both.

All grapplin is good grappling. Haters gon hate and some will even talk shit and generalize a whole group of people and make baseless accusations like some cackling hens.

Or maybe that enough of the gi class members give off an elitist prick vibe.

there was no mention of what vibe the gi class members put off. He asked a question about a few of them thinking that the no gi guys are meatheads or tuf wannabes. Now what asked was a legit question. Multiple posters have stated that alot of douchbags are more vocal about no gi from real life experience.

All grapplin is good grappling. Haters gon hate and some will even talk shit and generalize a whole group of people and make baseless accusations like some cackling hens.

not really, not all grappling is good grappling. You see shitty grappling in youtube vidoes all the time.

there was no mention of what vibe the gi class members put off. He asked a question about a few of them thinking that the no gi guys are meatheads or tuf wannabes. Now what asked was a legit question. Multiple posters have stated that alot of douchbags are more vocal about no gi from real life experience.

Well it seems like there was a bit of back and forth on the issue, so there is no consensus here that people who do nogi are any more or less cool/jerks in real life.

douchbags are more vocal about no gi

In here they certainly are.

not really, not all grappling is good grappling. You see shitty grappling in youtube vidoes all the time.

What I mean is whether you're doing judo, bjj, jj, catch, greco, freestyle or folk, ....IT'S ALL GOOD, BEAUTIFUL AND POSITIVE.

I currently train in no-gi Jiu-Jitsu , but some of my friends say that they wouldn't recognize it unless i was training with a gi.

Is this devaluation a common theme or just the opinion of some people?

What follows is just a bit of advice from a no gi guy.

First of all, don't call what we do Jiu Jitsu or BJJ--that only pisses off the purists. Call it submission grappling.

Accept that we are members of a minority and that a majority of the best submission grapplers in the world have a BJJ background. Accept that these people know a lot more about grappling than we do in general, and that many (not all) say one must train in the gi to be elite in no gi. But also accept that sometimes experts are wrong.

If you truly believe that it doesn't make sense to train gi in preparation for submission grappling competition, then don't train in the gi. Gi grapplers from white belts to black belts will try to discourage you. When a gi guy of any rank decides to start up the dreaded gi debate, be polite and respectful. Don't argue. Listen to their arguments and consider them carefully.

Focus on being the very best grappler that you can be with the time you have. Don't worry about what other people think about you--worry about whether your training methods work or not.

Also forget about the caricature of no gi guys perpetrated in this forum. It might be accurate in many cases, but it doesn't say anything about you. You're an individual, not part of a collective; train hard and let your competition performances do the talking.

What follows is just a bit of advice from a no gi guy.

First of all, don't call what we do Jiu Jitsu or BJJ--that only pisses off the purists. Call it submission grappling.

Accept that we are members of a minority and that a majority of the best submission grapplers in the world have a BJJ background. Accept that these people know a lot more about grappling than we do in general, and that many (not all) say one must train in the gi to be elite in no gi. But also accept that sometimes experts are wrong.

If you truly believe that it doesn't make sense to train gi in preparation for submission grappling competition, then don't train in the gi. Gi grapplers from white belts to black belts will try to discourage you. When a gi guy of any rank decides to start up the dreaded gi debate, be polite and respectful. Don't argue. Listen to their arguments and consider them carefully.

Focus on being the very best grappler that you can be with the time you have. Don't worry about what other people think about you--worry about whether your training methods work or not.

Also forget about the caricature of no gi guys perpetrated in this forum. It might be accurate in many cases, but it doesn't say anything about you. You're an individual, not part of a collective; train hard and let your competition performances do the talking.

Very good advice :icon_excl

Back