Is there an advantage to wearing a Weigted Vest?

seriously tosa? you're telling me running with an extra 50kg's has no gains you can't make from running up hills or running faster? how in the hell do you figure that?
Thats plain illogical man.

seriously tosa? you're telling me running with an extra 50kg's has no gains you can't make from running up hills or running faster? how in the hell do you figure that?

I agree there can only be benefits.

What is it that you think the weighted vest is going to do for you when running?

It's either going to tax your cardiovascular system more, or your muscular endurance more. Or if you're doing sprints, your anaerobic energy system will be taxed more or it'll slow down the sprinting, focusing more on the force developed per stride, and less on rate of force development.

None of the above are things that a weighted vest is better at accomplishing than other means that don't have the added impact. Even if running with added resistance has a place in someone's routine, doing sprints with a prowler/sled/parachute makes infinetly more sense as the impact is lower, while the exercise is just as, if not more effective.

Isn't the underlying principle here that you get good at what you train at? If you carry an extra 5-10 kilos in the form of a weighted vest, you get good at carrying an extra 5-10 kilos in the form of a weighted vest. It won't translate into much else, athletically, except very similar things.

As for the gym... I have a bulletproof vest with armoured plates (for the thoracic region) in my room. I am planning to start wearing it when doing pullups, chinups and possible dips soon. It is not actually as heavy as I hoped it would be, but I think it will be perfect for starting off with adding weight. The sports stores are limite in Kabul and finding proper belts and hooks is a pain- especially as we don't exactly have free movement around the city.

Carrying the extra weight has to translate over to carrying your oponents weight in the ring. I cant see why it wouldnt?

Say i have a 145 pound vest from Mir that meens i can carry a 145 pound man around the ring, right? More or less.

I think you carnt just dismiss the weighted vest especialy at the higher weights.

Carrying the extra weight has to translate over to carrying your oponents weight in the ring. I cant see why it wouldnt?

Say i have a 145 pound vest from Mir that meens i can carry a 145 pound man around the ring, right? More or less.

I think you carnt just dismiss the weighted vest especialy at the higher weights.

So you're expecting to run while carrying your opponents, who happen to be arranged so that they're wrapped nicely centered around your center of gravity, and supported evenly across your shoulders?

as someone that wears armor a lot. there are some tertiary benefits teaches your body not to do certain overtaxing motions so you don't hurt your back, other odd motions you get stronger at again limiting your chances of hurting your back.

beats your knees to hell or it teaches you how to run with weight on. I learned and I learned quickly, in 2 months my knees went from kililng me to feeling better than they have in my entire life. (the right boots helped)

I don't suggest running shoes and a vest.

teaches you how to move in a vest.

but in truth watching marinens with and without armor, when it gets heavy they slow down. if your wearing it and now slowing down ok some benenfits may exist. hiking with weight there are serious benefits. now are they worth it? I don't know but my legs got stronger from doing it maxed out a few things after the machine gun school. you learn to bend the right way...... my deadlif stayed the same, romanian deadlift went up a ton. like 30 percent. but I also gained 10 lbs almost all in my lower back/ass area.

Teaching your body long term under load endurance this or a pack will do that. everything else, I just think there are better ways to train.

A few pounds while running isn't a horrible thing. 145lbs though? Just look at obese people if you want to see what that will do. You'll grind your knees to dust.

as someone that wears armor a lot. there are some tertiary benefits teaches your body not to do certain overtaxing motions so you don't hurt your back, other odd motions you get stronger at again limiting your chances of hurting your back.

beats your knees to hell or it teaches you how to run with weight on. I learned and I learned quickly, in 2 months my knees went from kililng me to feeling better than they have in my entire life. (the right boots helped)

I don't suggest running shoes and a vest.

teaches you how to move in a vest.

but in truth watching marinens with and without armor, when it gets heavy they slow down. if your wearing it and now slowing down ok some benenfits may exist. hiking with weight there are serious benefits. now are they worth it? I don't know but my legs got stronger from doing it maxed out a few things after the machine gun school. you learn to bend the right way...... my deadlif stayed the same, romanian deadlift went up a ton. like 30 percent. but I also gained 10 lbs almost all in my lower back/ass area.

Teaching your body long term under load endurance this or a pack will do that. everything else, I just think there are better ways to train.

I'm intrigued.

How did your running style adapt?

I'm in no means saying running with weight is a good idea, but I have wondered how running in vibrams and the adapted gait for running in that stlye, would transfer over to weighted runs.
The idea is to remove the shock to the joints and let the tendons and lower leg musculature take it, so in theory, wouldn't running in the adjusted gait allow for it.

I'm just thinking allowed here.

I'm intrigued.

How did your running style adapt?

I'm in no means saying running with weight is a good idea, but I have wondered how running in vibrams and the adapted gait for running in that stlye, would transfer over to weighted runs.
The idea is to remove the shock to the joints and let the tendons and lower leg musculature take it, so in theory, wouldn't running in the adjusted gait allow for it.

I'm just thinking allowed here.

to a large extent you learn how to land softish but land and keep going down a smidgen to absorb the blow. it gets shorter unfortunately. you don't pronate fully to keep the torque down.

which translates to when I came home and played ultimate frisbee I got hurt because I was stronger and it quickly became faster (after the first game the next week I was the fastest in my life) but my tendons weren't used to opening up all the way and I hurt my achilles tendon.

outside of the hips and such getting stronger which I too agree pushing a sled is a healthier way to do it, all the benefits can be gained by the vibrams without the beating. and this way you don't pick up things you don't want/need in life. That are kinda necessary for wearing 150 lbs.

to a large extent you learn how to land softish but land and keep going down a smidgen to absorb the blow. it gets shorter unfortunately. you don't pronate fully to keep the torque down.

which translates to when I came home and played ultimate frisbee I got hurt because I was stronger and it quickly became faster (after the first game the next week I was the fastest in my life) but my tendons weren't used to opening up all the way and I hurt my achilles tendon.

outside of the hips and such getting stronger which I too agree pushing a sled is a healthier way to do it, all the benefits can be gained by the vibrams without the beating. and this way you don't pick up things you don't want/need in life. That are kinda necessary for wearing 150 lbs.

Sorry, I think you misinterpreted my post.

I meant if you run with vibrams and developed an adjusted gait because of the lack of cushioning in the heel, would that help prevent the knee injuries that are prevalent with running under load (ie using one to help prevent injuries in the other).
Obviously you have to perform ruck marches etc, however they are less detrimental and bring about the required adaptions (lower back, shoulders, core). Thus when you do have to run with a load, it doesn't result in injuries and you can keep the pace up (compared to just running or just doing ruck marches) as you have the relevant adaptions for it without the injuries.

Sorry, I think you misinterpreted my post.

I meant if you run with vibrams and developed an adjusted gait because of the lack of cushioning in the heel, would that help prevent the knee injuries that are prevalent with running under load (ie using one to help prevent injuries in the other).
Obviously you have to perform ruck marches etc, however they are less detrimental and bring about the required adaptions (lower back, shoulders, core). Thus when you do have to run with a load, it doesn't result in injuries and you can keep the pace up (compared to just running or just doing ruck marches) as you have the relevant adaptions for it without the injuries.
vibrams and running in a flak honestly make you land to a large extent the same way. While not while wearing the weight but you kinda land flat footed I think, and when I put on tennis shoes I was running the right way.

but vibrams weighing nothing encourage a longer stride,

flak encourages a shorter stride. With a light flak on, I was running more like the vibrams than I did before the machine gun school.

Yeah I think people in the Marines wear the vibrams because it does help us survive wearing the load, thats why I bought them. But if it changes how you walk under load I'm not sure. (light load yes, but 150 lbs, you have to use your heal) but it makes you feet stronger and less prone to injury and more spring in your step so your stride is longer.I haven't had them long enough to find out. I think it does a little bit, and every bit helps.

vibrams and running in a flak honestly make you land to a large extent the same way. While not while wearing the weight but you kinda land flat footed I think, and when I put on tennis shoes I was running the right way.

but vibrams weighing nothing encourage a longer stride,

flak encourages a shorter stride. With a light flak on, I was running more like the vibrams than I did before the machine gun school.

Yeah I think people in the Marines wear the vibrams because it does help us survive wearing the load, thats why I bought them. But if it changes how you walk under load I'm not sure. (light load yes, but 150 lbs, you have to use your heal) but it makes you feet stronger and less prone to injury and more spring in your step so your stride is longer.I haven't had them long enough to find out. I think it does a little bit, and every bit helps.

Side note- the vff's encourage a shorter stride as you have to use the forefoot, like running under load.

Agreed with short stride and needing the heel with load.

Sorry, didn't intend it to read like I was suggesting running with 150lbs on!

Don't buy a shitty vest and later complain about aforementioned shittyness. Buy a good vest or a dip belt depending on your training needs.

I have the 75 long + 25 short V-max weight vest. I also have 20-lb ea. All-Pro Ankle Weights. I purchased both of them November '06. The original idea was to train from the FDNY CPAT. Nowadays I train with them sparingly. When it gets very colder and I can train inconspicuous I'll do so. Read the last paragraph for some warnings.

For training cardio I have to recommended stairs, trail walking and hiking. Personally, I use a Polar F-6 Heart Rate monitor whenever I use my vest and ankle weights to accurately gage my cardio. Remember 6 mph at bodyweight is not equal to 6 mph + added weighted. I've never run more than 5 minutes with weights of any kind.

Sprinting is very risky. Once I did a chest plant (I fell/collapsed) because I couldn't decelerate properly and my legs just quit on me. By the way I never use the ankle weights for running or sprinting. Also, bear in mind that overtime the short vest will sag, this is only noticeable when your sprinting or doing other rapid movements.

Jumping Rope is surprisingly easy and effect with both the weight vest and the ankle weights.

Bodyweight training is excellent. Though I think a simple dip belt is generally more practical than a vest. Training will depend on your situation and whether you have spotters to place weights on your back for weighted push-ups for example.

As far as the proper progression, I wouldn't recommend starting out with more than 10-20 lbs. I started with 50-lbs for stairs and it was killer. However, progress was quick and within a few months I was up to 100-lbs. Later on the ankle weights were added.

Looking ahead getting the 150-lbs (75+75) V-max vest and a pair of FiveFingers looks promising. I would use the combination for cardio mostly and do sprints from scratch (bodyweight) to an additional 150-lbs (eventually).

Other notes. Initially breathing was very laboring because of the load the vest placed on my chest. Now I breather deeper and with more force with or without the vest. Coming back to weight vest training is very easy even after a long break.The 40-lbs of ankle weights is significantly more challenging than the 100-lbs vest.

If you train in public, expect to be questioned by detectives and possible house visit(s) from homeland security. I live in nyc and whenever I do calisthenics with the vest at the park I get asked the same dumbass questions from people whether or not they know me and whether or not they are law enforcement. I wouldn't recommended wearing an mp3 player, maybe just a bluetooth for your cell. Wires look conspicuous and in the U.S. they may shoot first and ask questions later. Seriously.

I think a vest would be incredibly hard on the knees if you were jogging, i don't think it would be necessary, especially anything over 10 lbs.
Although I do think a vest would be good for light sparring, and practicing shoots. It would maybe be similar to the resistance bands and shooting.
Also with push ups, maybe plank it would be a bit better.

Don't buy a shitty vest and later complain about aforementioned shittyness. Buy a good vest or a dip belt depending on your training needs.

I have the 75 long + 25 short V-max weight vest. I also have 20-lb ea. All-Pro Ankle Weights. I purchased both of them November '06. The original idea was to train from the FDNY CPAT. Nowadays I train with them sparingly. When it gets very colder and I can train inconspicuous I'll do so. Read the last paragraph for some warnings.

For training cardio I have to recommended stairs, trail walking and hiking. Personally, I use a Polar F-6 Heart Rate monitor whenever I use my vest and ankle weights to accurately gage my cardio. Remember 6 mph at bodyweight is not equal to 6 mph + added weighted. I've never run more than 5 minutes with weights of any kind.

Sprinting is very risky. Once I did a chest plant (I fell/collapsed) because I couldn't decelerate properly and my legs just quit on me. By the way I never use the ankle weights for running or sprinting. Also, bear in mind that overtime the short vest will sag, this is only noticeable when your sprinting or doing other rapid movements.

Jumping Rope is surprisingly easy and effect with both the weight vest and the ankle weights.

Bodyweight training is excellent. Though I think a simple dip belt is generally more practical than a vest. Training will depend on your situation and whether you have spotters to place weights on your back for weighted push-ups for example.

As far as the proper progression, I wouldn't recommend starting out with more than 10-20 lbs. I started with 50-lbs for stairs and it was killer. However, progress was quick and within a few months I was up to 100-lbs. Later on the ankle weights were added.

Looking ahead getting the 150-lbs (75+75) V-max vest and a pair of FiveFingers looks promising. I would use the combination for cardio mostly and do sprints from scratch (bodyweight) to an additional 150-lbs (eventually).

Other notes. Initially breathing was very laboring because of the load the vest placed on my chest. Now I breather deeper and with more force with or without the vest. Coming back to weight vest training is very easy even after a long break.The 40-lbs of ankle weights is significantly more challenging than the 100-lbs vest.

If you train in public, expect to be questioned by detectives and possible house visit(s) from homeland security. I live in nyc and whenever I do calisthenics with the vest at the park I get asked the same dumbass questions from people whether or not they know me and whether or not they are law enforcement. I wouldn't recommended wearing an mp3 player, maybe just a bluetooth for your cell. Wires look conspicuous and in the U.S. they may shoot first and ask questions later. Seriously.
holy shit

Well put funny but true :D

When ever I run up a hill with my vest I always get the feeling that I probably look pretty suspicious.

So you're expecting to run while carrying your opponents, who happen to be arranged so that they're wrapped nicely centered around your center of gravity, and supported evenly across your shoulders?

I actually go into every fight expecting this...

I wonder how much football players or hockey players would have training with weighted vests.

They are carrying 20-30 lbs of equipment anyway. Might be good to do some sprints with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F5CHAMPIONSHIP
Back