Is there an advantage to wearing a Weigted Vest?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Staring At Fate, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Staring At Fate

Staring At Fate Refuse To Lose.

Besides doing it for exercises what about just wearing it when your around your house? I heard from someone in my MMA gym that by wearing it a lot it tricks your body making you faster when you take it off, don't know anything about the topic but since I own one I thought I'd ask.

2. milano

milano I am the Walrus

Yeah man wear it around the house, I wore it while cooking and tricked my body into cooking frozen meat in about 30 seconds.

3. slayer57

slayer57 Banned Banned

i lold

4. Oreomeister

Oreomeister Blue Belt

bro it's just like how goku wears weighted clothes 24/7 and when he takes them off a year later he's super strong and fast!

5. doc holiday

doc holiday White Belt

i hear they make you heavier

6. maximus__

maximus__ Blue Belt

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:icon_chee

7. HorrorPlease

HorrorPlease Green Belt

You'll FEEL faster, but you won't BE faster. And that feeling will go away pretty quickly.

8. paolo27th

paolo27th Black Belt

^^^EDIT Beat me to it.

You won`t get faster unless you train to move faster. Wearing a weighed vest will slow you down hence it won`t improve your speed. The fact that you "feel" faster when you take it off does not mean you actually are faster.

9. cheez whiz

cheez whiz Brown Belt

I just trick my body into thinking it has a weighted vest on. By being fat.

10. yocan

yocan Orange Belt

if you go about your day at the same speed as before you will get stronger and such. But that won't happen you will slow down. Nof if you put weight on because at the office you can't run but you can put weight on and walk the same speed maybe a benefit would exist.

little muscles in your back would indeed get stronger but will that carry over to anything else whatsoever beyond wearing body armor? I have no idea.

11. zhangmaster12

zhangmaster12 Blue Belt

They are good for Glute ham raises, pushups, chins, ab rollers.

12. MASShole

MASShole Get it?

I wear it sometimes when I mow the lawn just for some additional GPP work *shrug*

13. ThePitBull32

ThePitBull32 Green Belt

I've noticed that wearing a weight vest is much different that a weighted belt when doing chins. Mostly, I use the belt, but it's a nice change to throw in the weight vest now and then.

14. Endo

Endo o hai!

There are a lot of exercises you can do with a weighted vest, but if you have the option of a full gym then its not worth the money in my opinion. For a home training rat, sure.

My friend let me borrow his 75lb vest for FD training. Personally, I think it wears the shit out of your upper and lower back and does not provide enough benefit to justify the price or pain. Although for weighted chins/dips it'd be nice to have; but are you really willing to spend close to 300 dollars for a heavy enough vest?

15. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

I talked to a guy who used a weighted vest in addition to a barbell when doing squats. The reason was he had back issues limiting how much weight he could have on the bar when squatting, so the weighted vest was a way to add resistance beyond that.

16. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

I can only equate it to when I was in the military and would wear a flak jacket for extended periods of time. It did not make me faster in any way, just sore, sweaty and uncomfartable.

17. Staring At Fate

Pushups/Dips/Squats is what I mainly do right now, but I've been wearing it around the house for a few days I feel faster in training but that's probably just me thinking it makes me faster.

18. SportsScience

SportsScience White Belt

Im thinking about getting the 145lbs Mir weighted vest for some long distance walking im doing plus i figure it will be handy for running?

The walking i wont have a problem with but whats the go with having that much weight when you run? i figure start small then work your way up yeah?

Another thing i dont see the point in getting a 75lbs vest, i figure ill out grow that in a month or two.

19. Staring At Fate

It cost me 100 for a 40 pound weighted vest but the thing is top quality right now its about 23 pounds but I increase the weight weekly.

20. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

Running with a weighted vest is stupid. It increases the impact of the exercise on the joints exponentially and doesn't offer any benefit that just running faster or running hills doesn't.