Is there a new wave of Kazakhs coming to the UFC in 2023?

I think Azamat is clearly the best of the four at the moment. The level of competition isn't really comparable. He's beaten Kurban Ghadzhiev twice, Rasul Albaskhanov etc. Of them all I think he's the only one you'd have to say is clearly in the top 10 in the world right now.

I would actually say Cogumelo has fought tougher comp than Maksum has. Manoel Rodrigues is no joke.

Azamat is the most proven for sure, just not who I see as having the most potential. He's also 31 and less active....

I'm not sure about Cogumelo having fought tougher competition but it's somewhat comparable. His game isn't as fleshed out as Maksums though, but Igor has time to develop...He will end up in the UFC regardless as long as nothing dire happens. The Kazakhs can wrestle in a way I seriously doubt Igor can. Asu is more polished, experienced and proven than both and just seems like a fantastic athlete.

Not too important, hopefully all these dudes get signed.

Azamat is the most proven for sure, just not who I see as having the most potential. He's also 31 and less active....

I'm not sure about Cogumelo having fought tougher competition but it's somewhat comparable. His game isn't as fleshed out as Maksums though, but Igor has time to develop...He will end up in the UFC regardless as long as nothing dire happens. The Kazakhs can wrestle in a way I seriously doubt Igor can. Asu is more polished, experienced and proven than both and just seems like a fantastic athlete.

Not too important, hopefully all these dudes get signed.

Yeah, I think the big thing Igor has going for him is he's only 19, which is absolutely wild considering his skill level.

Agree all these guys will hopefully get in.

There's actually alot of fighters coming through from the ural mountains in Russia. They're absolute animals.

Because MMA has too many weight classes in the upper divisions. There are going to be many droughts going here on in MW-HW, it'll be rare when all 3 are good to go.
Disagree. Everything from 171 to 260 lbs is covered by three weight divisions.

Disagree. Everything from 171 to 260 lbs is covered by three weight divisions.

Yes, that's 3 weight classes for men who weight over 200 pounds. Boxing which has more talent really has two weight classes for that (HW and CW). Cruiserweights are about the size of MMA Middleweights, perhaps a bit smaller even.

There aren't really that many athletes who are over 200 pounds (people cut a lot of weight in MMA), much less any who want to fight for a living.

I personally don't have a problem with how things are but if the general consensus is that those 3 weight classes are weak out of periodic spurts - well, that is why.

Last edited:
Everyone knows Shavkat Rakhmonov is the uncrowned pound for pound king of MMA and a proud Kazakh, unfortunately Damir Ismagulov retired and while we have a couple others currently in the UFC like Morozov and Zhalgas Zhumagulov but there's 4 standout Kazakh's all young, impressive and beating on the UFC's door for their contract I'd like to share with you.

1. Asu Almabaev 17-2 (13 fight win streak), 28 years old training out of Dar Pro Team alongside Shavkat Rakhmonov and American Top Team. Asu is widely considered one of the best Flyweights in the world outside the UFC. Asu is managed by Sayat Abdrakhmanov who is the manager of basically every Kazakh in the UFC, other central Asians and many Russian fighters too (Fiziev, Damir, Shavkat, Petr Yan etc) so I'm hopeful Asu will be signed.

Screenshot_20221207_052155_com.instagram.android_edit_5834668822994063.jpg

2. Magomed Kabardiev 9-0, 27 years old fighting out of Akhmat Fight Club in Kazakhstan, Kabardiev also signed with Sayat Abdrakhmanov and is currently trying to get signed to the UFC. Kabardiev is the Naiza Lightweight champion and one of the best Lightweight prospects in the world. He has won a lot of different grappling, Pankration and Sanda tournaments, he's one of those guys who seems very next level talent wise compared to most. An absolutely massive Lightweight at 6ft too.

3b122d.jpg

3. Azat Maksum 15-0, 27 years old fighting out of DDV Team in Almaty Kazakhstan, when the best Flyweights outside the UFC come to mind after Mighty Mouse and Kyoji Horiguchi it's always Asu and Azat that come to mind. Azat is a big 5'8 flyweight with knockout power and strong wrestling. Currently fighting for the Kazakh promotion Octagon as their champion, Azat has also been knocking on the UFC's door trying to get his conctract. I don't believe he's signed with Sayat but hopefully he will if he finds it difficult to sign to the UFC otherwise, the right managers seem to have huge pull in getting fighters signed. He's been asking for a fight with Muhammad Mokaev, ;)

Screenshot_20221207_053042_com.instagram.android_edit_5835069288626293.jpg

4. Bekzat Almakhan 14-1, 25 years old fighting out of DDV Team alongside his teammate Azat, Bekzat is the Bantamweight champion in the Kazakh promotion Octagon. Bekzat also I am unsure if he is signed with Sayat or not but he posts a lot about trying to get signed to the UFC. With the amount of (T)KO finishes he has I'm sure it's just a matter of time, similarly a very heavy handed Kazakh like his teammate with great wrestling, especially his fast level changes into shots and scrambling. His single loss was to one of the more talented Kazakh's when Bekzat was only 22 in a competitive fight where he won the first round vs now 18-2 Sultan Zholdohsbek.

We've got a week left before any UFC, thought I'd do a showcase of coming talent from Central Asia trying to make their way to the UFC similar to how I did with the 4 standout D1 wrestlers coming up on the US regional scene right now a week or two ago. These guys are all exciting and deserve some love and attention, I look forward to revisiting this thread and seeing that all of these men have been signed hopefully this year. Kazakhstan may not have the biggest population but when you consider Dagestan is less than 4 million, perhaps 19+million Kazakhs begins to sound more significant. It is a country that stands out in Boxing, Sambo and Freestyle wrestling on the world stage regularly and all of these fighters I've listed you can catch training with Kazakh Sambo teams, Boxing teams and Wrestling teams, even sometimes going to Kyrgyzstan to train too. Kazakhstan is a country that's begun to embrace MMA in a big way, top flight gyms and regional promotions have been opening up and we are beginning to see some of their best talent rise to the UFC and I think this generation will not disappoint.

Good stuff! Thank You for the info.

Why are there so many midget fighters in Kazakhstan? Why no more MW/LHW prospects?
Same reason there is not a lot of fighters in that weight classes from Mongolia or Indonesia.
Yeah I'd love to see Takhtay in the UFC, he had a massive impact on me when I saw him in BRAVE, just the dude is so inactive it's difficult for me to trust him to sign.
Yeah, remember from your hype trains thread.
Also regarding UFC if there is event in Kazakhstan I wouldn't be surprised if they sign Akhmetov from ONE if he is a free agent of Kazakhstani guys from Brave.
If I am not mistaken Abylaikhan Sharatov was in national Judo team, Samusev is unbeaten, Ilyas Khamzin is etnic Kazakh and friend of Petr Yan.

Everyone knows Shavkat Rakhmonov is the uncrowned pound for pound king of MMA and a proud Kazakh, unfortunately Damir Ismagulov retired and while we have a couple others currently in the UFC like Morozov and Zhalgas Zhumagulov but there's 4 standout Kazakh's all young, impressive and beating on the UFC's door for their contract I'd like to share with you.

1. Asu Almabaev 17-2 (13 fight win streak), 28 years old training out of Dar Pro Team alongside Shavkat Rakhmonov and American Top Team. Asu is widely considered one of the best Flyweights in the world outside the UFC. Asu is managed by Sayat Abdrakhmanov who is the manager of basically every Kazakh in the UFC, other central Asians and many Russian fighters too (Fiziev, Damir, Shavkat, Petr Yan etc) so I'm hopeful Asu will be signed.

Screenshot_20221207_052155_com.instagram.android_edit_5834668822994063.jpg

2. Magomed Kabardiev 9-0, 27 years old fighting out of Akhmat Fight Club in Kazakhstan, Kabardiev also signed with Sayat Abdrakhmanov and is currently trying to get signed to the UFC. Kabardiev is the Naiza Lightweight champion and one of the best Lightweight prospects in the world. He has won a lot of different grappling, Pankration and Sanda tournaments, he's one of those guys who seems very next level talent wise compared to most. An absolutely massive Lightweight at 6ft too.

3b122d.jpg

3. Azat Maksum 15-0, 27 years old fighting out of DDV Team in Almaty Kazakhstan, when the best Flyweights outside the UFC come to mind after Mighty Mouse and Kyoji Horiguchi it's always Asu and Azat that come to mind. Azat is a big 5'8 flyweight with knockout power and strong wrestling. Currently fighting for the Kazakh promotion Octagon as their champion, Azat has also been knocking on the UFC's door trying to get his conctract. I don't believe he's signed with Sayat but hopefully he will if he finds it difficult to sign to the UFC otherwise, the right managers seem to have huge pull in getting fighters signed. He's been asking for a fight with Muhammad Mokaev, ;)

Screenshot_20221207_053042_com.instagram.android_edit_5835069288626293.jpg

4. Bekzat Almakhan 14-1, 25 years old fighting out of DDV Team alongside his teammate Azat, Bekzat is the Bantamweight champion in the Kazakh promotion Octagon. Bekzat also I am unsure if he is signed with Sayat or not but he posts a lot about trying to get signed to the UFC. With the amount of (T)KO finishes he has I'm sure it's just a matter of time, similarly a very heavy handed Kazakh like his teammate with great wrestling, especially his fast level changes into shots and scrambling. His single loss was to one of the more talented Kazakh's when Bekzat was only 22 in a competitive fight where he won the first round vs now 18-2 Sultan Zholdohsbek.

We've got a week left before any UFC, thought I'd do a showcase of coming talent from Central Asia trying to make their way to the UFC similar to how I did with the 4 standout D1 wrestlers coming up on the US regional scene right now a week or two ago. These guys are all exciting and deserve some love and attention, I look forward to revisiting this thread and seeing that all of these men have been signed hopefully this year. Kazakhstan may not have the biggest population but when you consider Dagestan is less than 4 million, perhaps 19+million Kazakhs begins to sound more significant. It is a country that stands out in Boxing, Sambo and Freestyle wrestling on the world stage regularly and all of these fighters I've listed you can catch training with Kazakh Sambo teams, Boxing teams and Wrestling teams, even sometimes going to Kyrgyzstan to train too. Kazakhstan is a country that's begun to embrace MMA in a big way, top flight gyms and regional promotions have been opening up and we are beginning to see some of their best talent rise to the UFC and I think this generation will not disappoint.

Good thread man, thanks.
Which of those guys do you think has the best chance of succeeding in the UFC?

They all represent Kazakhstan brother. Kabardiev carries the flag of Kazakhstan to the cage with him, lives in and trains out of Kazakhstan. He can be Kumyk and Avar by birth or heritage. Ethnic identity continously changes the further back you go in time, it is not some concrete thing but him training, living and representing Kazakhstan is.

Kazakhs are loyal to Eurasian history they are close with Russia for historic and lingustic reasons. The Kazakhs I know the ethnic kazakhs prefer to speak Russian.

Asians are small. Look at the combat press kickboxing rankings. Its always funny that you got the thais and Japanese and some chinese dominating the smaller divisions and the europeans in the upper divisions.
Why are there so many midget fighters in Kazakhstan? Why no more MW/LHW prospects?

Good thread man, thanks.
Which of those guys do you think has the best chance of succeeding in the UFC?

I think all 4 have very, very realistic chances of succeeding in the UFC, they all shine as guys who could reach top 10 status. Saying more than that with confidence is tough. There's quite a few others good Kazakhs the region is booming and getting behind MMA big time. These 4 guys for me stand out.

To me how guys do in the UFC is kind of a timing thing as much as it is "how good they really are". Azat and Asu are 27 and 28, if they get signed this year they have time to put together wins and be in the top 10 within 12-18 months after getting signed, they even can afford a set back or an injury/layoff. But if the UFC waits until they are pushing 30 it becomes less and less likely, their primes will begin to drop off, time will kind of run out, an ill timed injury or upset could ruin all potential at ever reaching contender status etc. So when they don't sign guys from these regions due to demographic quotas, they sorta just kill them off. Bekzat is the is the youngest so time is most on his side, curious if these guys would want to fight on the contender series or not...with their records and pedigrees its almost embarrassing to not just get a contract, asking them to fly from Kazakhstan for 8k and acting like 14-1, 17-2 and 15-0 guys who have titles are rookies is weird...They're a lot better than most contender series guys.

Kabardiev I have a feeling will get signed. He's got that contender series type record. I think the spinning back elbow KO and his style is super marketable, it's weird because he sorta deserves it the least but I also think he's one of the best LW prospects in the world so I'd be happy as fuck.

I think they're all trying to get their "before Ramadan fight" in right now. Naiza, Octagon and Brave I all believe let their guys go to the UFC even if they're still under contract, right?

Yeah, the Octagon promoter I think actually wants Azat to go straight to the UFC as he'd be the first Kazakh to go there directly from a Kazakh promotion and I think he thinks it would be an honour.

Yeah, the Octagon promoter I think actually wants Azat to go straight to the UFC as he'd be the first Kazakh to go there directly from a Kazakh promotion and I think he thinks it would be an honour.

I'd wager he feels similarly with Bekzat then too. Same gym, training partners, both champs 125 and 135. When does the contender series usually start each year?

They are all basically waiting for khamzat to pick a division or retire before ascending to contention. Why get smeshed?

I think all 4 have very, very realistic chances of succeeding in the UFC, they all shine as guys who could reach top 10 status. Saying more than that with confidence is tough. There's quite a few others good Kazakhs the region is booming and getting behind MMA big time. These 4 guys for me stand out.

To me how guys do in the UFC is kind of a timing thing as much as it is "how good they really are". Azat and Asu are 27 and 28, if they get signed this year they have time to put together wins and be in the top 10 within 12-18 months after getting signed, they even can afford a set back or an injury/layoff. But if the UFC waits until they are pushing 30 it becomes less and less likely, their primes will begin to drop off, time will kind of run out, an ill timed injury or upset could ruin all potential at ever reaching contender status etc. So when they don't sign guys from these regions due to demographic quotas, they sorta just kill them off. Bekzat is the is the youngest so time is most on his side, curious if these guys would want to fight on the contender series or not...with their records and pedigrees its almost embarrassing to not just get a contract, asking them to fly from Kazakhstan for 8k and acting like 14-1, 17-2 and 15-0 guys who have titles are rookies is weird...They're a lot better than most contender series guys.

Kabardiev I have a feeling will get signed. He's got that contender series type record. I think the spinning back elbow KO and his style is super marketable, it's weird because he sorta deserves it the least but I also think he's one of the best LW prospects in the world so I'd be happy as fuck.
Will keep an eye on those guys!

Back