Is there a bigger underachiever than Gustafsson?

Few guys come to mind. Jordan Mein, Gesias Calvacante, Takanori Gomi in the UFC, Rousimar Palhares

Always thought Jordan Mein could have achieved more in the UFC. Good size, youth and well rounded, the guys is just only 30 now. He lost a few fights really early in his career when he was like 17-18. When he hit his prime around 2011 he wont on a really solid streak and had that split with Woodley and some good wins after. And after the TKO loss to Matt Brown he was up and down. Now he's with Bellator.

Calvacante had a very good skill set and start to his career and then it all went south mid way. Thought he was destined to do better.

I felt Gomi had more in him for the UFC. I think if he could have adjusted his training to the US and also moved down to 145 faster he could have done good things in the UFC. He came to the UFC right around 2010 when FW was just starting up.

Palhares was another one that I think could have done more. He had some mental issues and also could have used better training to develop his game. Otherwise, a great BJJ came and he beat some very good WWs.

Regarding Gus? I think Gus did as well as he could have and just fell victim to Jones and Cormier.

Homeboy is up there for P4P most gifted title shots in MMA history.

He is a lot of people’s darling for life because he was the first to make Jones look human in defeat.

folks never got out from underneath the sack after that no matter how much he underperformed.

Im trying to say he is not a underachiver. He retired just when he had to and is doing fine compared to many other early MMA stars.
yeah on second thought you're right, i was just zoned in on what i thought he could've accomplished if he was able to continue fighting, but yeah he doesn't really fit the criteria.

InexperiencedWeirdFlounder-size_restricted.gif

Quite the opposite, everybody thought he lost to old man shogun.... and then he gave us 2 of the greatest title fights in history against Jones AND DC

Gus was never supposed to be anything, everybody now acts like he's the historic #3 LHW (I'd argue it but whatever) the guy exceeded all expectations

Wth you are making stuff up. Nobody thought he lost to Shogun. Nobody. Gustafsson dominated him. Keep you revisionist history to yourself.

Shut the fuck up
<3>
Well because you asked so politely, you should know I haven't spoken a word since your powerful directive. I kinda think you're cool now, man. And tough!

He was unlucky to have been around during a really strong time for LHW. Any other era and he probably becomes champion.

Quite the opposite, everybody thought he lost to old man shogun.... and then he gave us 2 of the greatest title fights in history against Jones AND DC

Gus was never supposed to be anything, everybody now acts like he's the historic #3 LHW (I'd argue it but whatever) the guy exceeded all expectations
Literally the guy is defined by his losses. People give him far too much credit for them.

Tbh I always thought people overrated him cos of the jones fight. When you see his other fights,he never looked as impressive as a Daniel cormier or a jon jones but by god when he fought those two he took yrs off their lives. It was disappointing to see the rematch where we didnt get to see him give it his all. Maybe those two matches was all he had.

Luis Ortiz: world class Amateur and pro fighter, won two times vs Wilder (score Cards) but Wilder knocked him the fuck out ...

<5>

i mean if you're retarded, yeah i could see why you'd think that.

its a mental thing for Gus

He has all the talent in the world but folds

Everyone folds taking bombs like Gus vs AJ. His defense often gets sloppy and thats his problem. Exactly that has cost him his high profile fights. Against Jones with a little more restraint he would have dodged the ellbow and won the fight (well it would still have been rigged on scorecards). Against AJ he had to play it safe at the start and look how he fought. He has a very good technical arsenal of straight punches and is a very intelligent fighter but he just cant stop the defensive sloppyness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back