Is there a bigger underachiever than Gustafsson?

NorrisB

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Guy has all the talent in the world 6'5'' 82'' reach and gets lazy barely fighting lets the game pass him by.

He wanted to be a champ but after realized its impossible he mentally gave up

The guy was right up there with DC and Jones at one point.

He almost KTFO DC.

From a criminal to probably a millionaire he overachieved if anything

The Swede in him won’t allow him to compete against certain demographics

<JonesLaugh>

The Swede in him won’t allow him to compete against certain demographics

<JonesLaugh>
giphy.gif

Quite the opposite, everybody thought he lost to old man shogun.... and then he gave us 2 of the greatest title fights in history against Jones AND DC

Gus was never supposed to be anything, everybody now acts like he's the historic #3 LHW (I'd argue it but whatever) the guy exceeded all expectations

On the contrary, I think he has achieved as much as he could've possibly achieved. Maybe more. I think the first Jones fight put his name out there, but keep in mind, that was Jones at his worst, and Gus at his best. We saw what happened when they fought again, and Jones didn't look particularly great that night either.

No he lost fair and square to the top 4/5 consistently. His claim to fame is "almost" beating a Jon Jones who barely trained as evidenced in the rematch.

He comes from a little village in Sweden called Arboga. spent time in Juvenile prison and in general was just a lowlife "white trash", Yes, those exist in Sweden aswell. 99% of all Swedish MMA fans became fans after watching his first fight against Jones me included. The fact that he even fought for the title once is impressive, but then he fought for it 2 times more. So no he achieved things beyond his wildest imagination and has had a good career overall. However, him training out of Sweden is not optimal. He should have trained in the US but family came first for him. Cruz and Schaub said he's one of the most talented guys they have seen while training with him.

Quite the opposite, everybody thought he lost to old man shogun.... and then he gave us 2 of the greatest title fights in history against Jones AND DC

Gus was never supposed to be anything, everybody now acts like he's the historic #3 LHW (I'd argue it but whatever) the guy exceeded all expectations

Who thought he lost to Shogun, was that a thing on here? He beat him pretty convincingly, and I always thought of that night as kind of a "passing of the torch" night, because of Gus vs. Shogun, and BJ vs Rory. Those were the first fights where either of those guys looked old. Gus had a lot of momentum/hype going into that fight too, wouldn't say there weren't expectations.

its a mental thing for Gus

He has all the talent in the world but folds

Back