Is there a bigger underachiever than Gustafsson?

Who thought he lost to Shogun, was that a thing on here? He beat him pretty convincingly, and I always thought of that night as kind of a "passing of the torch" night, because of Gus vs. Shogun, and BJ vs Rory. Those were the first fights where either of those guys looked old. Gus had a lot of momentum/hype going into that fight too, wouldn't say there weren't expectations.
I thought Gus won too but many fans (probably biased) scored it for Rua.
Gus really wasn't seen as anything special before the Jones' fight. It's why Jones is so adamant he didn't train (I call BS but I do believe he didn't think Gus was good)
He was another rangy guy who sucked at keeping range in the eyes of many people.

I thought Gus won too but many fans (probably biased) scored it for Rua.
Gus really wasn't seen as anything special before the Jones' fight. It's why Jones is so adamant he didn't train (I call BS but I do believe he didn't think Gus was good)
He was another rangy guy who sucked at keeping range in the eyes of many people.
Not really many fans. 6.9% voted it for Shogun

upload_2020-2-13_17-16-45.png

Not really many fans. 6.9% voted it for Shogun

View attachment 728231
My bad, must've Sherdog/pride bias.
I scored it Gus and saw potential after he beat Thiago

But my point still stands that nobody considered him to be as good as he was before the Jones fight. He exceed expectations in his performance against Jones

Biggish guy with not a lot of power compared to others. He's taken guys out but mostly from an accumulation of damage and then a stoppage. He got tagged a lot and is not great on the ground so he did as well as he was meant to

He is not really black though. Ok, he losses to all African American fighters.
Jimi Manuwa is absolutely "really black", lol. You see him as what, caucasian??

I guarantee you you'll know he's black if cops show up to any scuffle and he is nearby. Guaranteed they try to arrest him first (unless there are other black ppl around to arrest). That's one way to know who is considered black in society.

The guy went to jail...In Sweden.

Like, I know 78% of all American Adults have spent at least 1 month in prison, but what do you have to do to be sent to jail in Sweden.

Blow up a planet?

The perennial “Always a bridesmaid but never a bride”
always-a-bridesmaid-never-a-bride

Jimi Manuwa is absolutely "really black", lol. You see him as what, caucasian??

I guarantee you you'll know he's black if cops show up to any scuffle and he is nearby. Guaranteed they try to arrest him first (unless there are other black ppl around to arrest). That's one way to know who is considered black in society.
Shut the fuck up
<3>

this shit you pasted says since 2019. he retired in 2006, due to a nagging neck injury among other injuries if i remember correctly. not sure what you're trying to say with this comment.

<28>
Im trying to say he is not a underachiver. He retired just when he had to and is doing fine compared to many other early MMA stars.

Guy has all the talent in the world 6'5'' 82'' reach and gets lazy barely fighting lets the game pass him by.

I don’t think he’s an underachiever. It’s not like this guy was some freak athlete who burst on the scene and had everyone buzzing. He has a good frame for the division but is otherwise pretty average. Average speed. Average power. Didn’t come in like Maia, Romero or the collegiate wrestlers with some dominant skill.

He achieved basically as much as anyone could have ever hoped for when he was a young prospect. Gave Jones his toughest fight. Gave Cormier his toughest fight other than Jones and Stipe. He’s slightly different judging away from being crowned champion on two separate occasions, in a division ruled at the time by two all time greats.

What non-champion has come closer? Romero and Tony Ferguson maybe? No shame in slotting behind those guys. Wonderboy? Mendes? Those are the kinds of guys he should be mentioned with. Other perennial contenders (Fitch and Florian come to mind) got smoked when they faced elite champions.

The only disappointment IMO is that he fell off slightly early. But when you think about a decade long career punctuated by wars with Jones and Cormier and a big knockout against Rumble, it’s understandable.

Justin Scoggins was imo the biggest underachiever in UFC.
He could've been champ if he had a quarter of a brain.

Could've gone further at an american gym. Also he often fights just once per year.

Back