Is the Ali Act good for MMA?

Is the Ali Act good for MMA?

• Total voters
On the bright side fighters would get paid more and have more leverage. But we'd likely see more favorable matchups like boxing.

Do the positives outweigh the negatives?

Ali Act is designed for boxing. It wouldn’t change much in MMA.

The biggest thing would be promotions wouldn’t own the titles.

That’s about it. Nothing else would change.

A union or sports association is what the sport needs

Have you read the law? The fighters wouldn’t get paid more under the Ali Act because their aren’t other promotions to hid against the UFC. MMA is too different from boxing
The Ali Act bans exclusive contracts. So, the UFC would cease to function as a league. It would just end up being a promoter, and nothing else.

2 possible futures of the sport under the Ali Act:

1) It would end up like boxing where fighters fight under like 5 different world title belt systems, divided among dozens of different promoters, and weight classes for 'champions' every 5 lbs.

2) The alternative possible future is it would just drive the creation of a UFC type league outside of the US.

So, either it turns MMA into boxing or it just moves the MMA industry outside of the country.

Yes it's good but it's a little late. I hope I'm wrong- I really do- of course- but I dont see this big upside on this global phenomenon that I once did. The Fertittas are not dumb men - they have that vision of looking downstream .

The Ali Act bans exclusive contracts. So, the UFC would cease to function as a league. It would just end up being a promoter, and nothing else.

2 possible futures of the sport under the Ali Act:

1) It would end up like boxing where fighters fight under like 5 different world title belt systems, divided among dozens of different promoters, and weight classes for 'champions' every 5 lbs.

2) The alternative possible future is it would just drive the creation of a UFC type league outside of the US.

So, either it turns MMA into boxing or it just moves the MMA industry outside of the country.

What are you talking about? The Ali Act doesn’t ban exclusive contracts at all.

It has provisions that prevent coercive contracts and limits the lengths of contracts. In addition it has provisions that has promoters disclose numbers about revenue.

Plenty of boxers sign exclusives deal with promotions TODAY

most would make less. the worst guys in the ufc make 16k/16k i think. you ever looked at the worst guys on a boxing card?

The worst guys? These guys aren't even in the top 500 and UFC guys are already proven fighters.

It makes no sense to compare boxing PPV model and undercard to UFCs PPV model and undercard, because both are complete different. UFCs model is closer to WWEs.

It's better than nothing. We as fans have benefited for a long time because of fighter exploitation. Personally, I think a union or association would be much better, but if that isn't going to happen, then the Ali Act will be a step in the right direction.

Best option IMO is for the UFC fighters to form a Fighters Association and slowly reduce the government's involvement, rather than increase it.

Like imagine if everywhere had the same rules or like if there was a rule that needed to be tweaked, the fighters and the UFC could just agree to tweak it

On the bright side fighters would get paid more and have more leverage. But we'd likely see more favorable matchups like boxing.

Do the positives outweigh the negatives?
Yes. For all the good that Dana / Fertittas have done for the sport, they’ve done it at the expense of the well-being and financial stability of the fighters. Fighters need to ne paid respectably, and have representation / collective bargaining. And, as mich as boxing suffers from record-padding, I do think that having rebound / build-up fights is a better strategy than smashing your fighters to bits (giving them the Akiyama treatment that UFC prefers).

Hell no! The best fighter is a hungry fighter.

probably not.

would blow up the ufc, fracture the sport. create sanctioning bodies.............

i get people think it's magically going to make fighters rich but i don't see it.

X2 I've been saying this forever

I understand fighters deserve pay, but let's not pretend these guys/girls are on buttons

Most of the mma fanbase would be shocked to know how little lower level boxers earn.

I personally know a very accomplished pro boxer who was a legit top 10 guy, who sold out arenas that only made 150k for a world title challenge. I also found out from his manager that the champion earned 10 times that before ppv. The champ also had not one, but 2 rematch clauses

Anyway back on point, it is good for the fighters to have rival promotions as big as the ufc, but fans should hope we don't have 4 or 5 organisations that rival it

The best will not fight the best and it would even be a bigger mess than boxing imo

most would make less. the worst guys in the ufc make 16k/16k i think. you ever looked at the worst guys on a boxing card?
fighters in the best promotion make 12 k minimum. Fighters in other organisations make even less. I believe boxers actually more on average I though John Nash had a podcast on it. Anyway, 12k is pathetic, no sane man or woman should do that to entertain me.

Ali Act is designed for boxing. It wouldn’t change much in MMA.

The biggest thing would be promotions wouldn’t own the titles.

That’s about it. Nothing else would change.

A union or sports association is what the sport needs
Imagine passing a law that says ring of combat or king of the cage can’t call someone champ of their organization.......and then making up a separate body that owns that right......

Back