Is the Ali Act good for MMA?

Is the Ali Act good for MMA?

• Total voters
The Ali Act bans exclusive contracts. So, the UFC would cease to function as a league. It would just end up being a promoter, and nothing else.

2 possible futures of the sport under the Ali Act:

1) It would end up like boxing where fighters fight under like 5 different world title belt systems, divided among dozens of different promoters, and weight classes for 'champions' every 5 lbs.

2) The alternative possible future is it would just drive the creation of a UFC type league outside of the US.

So, either it turns MMA into boxing or it just moves the MMA industry outside of the country.
Well said. It would be disastrous. Boxing is based on a few big fights that occasionally get made, making it all the more exciting. It is an old sport that has more than than its current entertainment value suggests it should. Doing this in MMA would result in fractured chaos.

Yes. For all the good that Dana / Fertittas have done for the sport, they’ve done it at the expense of the well-being and financial stability of the fighters. Fighters need to ne paid respectably, and have representation / collective bargaining. And, as mich as boxing suffers from record-padding, I do think that having rebound / build-up fights is a better strategy than smashing your fighters to bits (giving them the Akiyama treatment that UFC prefers).
Your argument appears to be that Zuffa saved the sport, but lets blow up what they built and just hope it works out anyway.

If the best fighters are fractured between leagues, and have endless contractual red tape and rematch clauses, as well as different networks preventing certain fights, I will stop watching MMA. And I actually pay for PPV.

The Ali Act bans exclusive contracts. So, the UFC would cease to function as a league. It would just end up being a promoter, and nothing else.

2 possible futures of the sport under the Ali Act:

1) It would end up like boxing where fighters fight under like 5 different world title belt systems, divided among dozens of different promoters, and weight classes for 'champions' every 5 lbs.

2) The alternative possible future is it would just drive the creation of a UFC type league outside of the US.

So, either it turns MMA into boxing or it just moves the MMA industry outside of the country.
What about non-US based orgs?

And what happens to regional orgs?

fighters in the best promotion make 12 k minimum. Fighters in other organisations make even less. I believe boxers actually more on average I though John Nash had a podcast on it. Anyway, 12k is pathetic, no sane man or woman should do that to entertain me.
Find me a boxing card with 24 fighters making 12k min.

X2 I've been saying this forever

I understand fighters deserve pay, but let's not pretend these guys/girls are on buttons

Most of the mma fanbase would be shocked to know how little lower level boxers earn.

I personally know a very accomplished pro boxer who was a legit top 10 guy, who sold out arenas that only made 150k for a world title challenge. I also found out from his manager that the champion earned 10 times that before ppv. The champ also had not one, but 2 rematch clauses

Anyway back on point, it is good for the fighters to have rival promotions as big as the ufc, but fans should hope we don't have 4 or 5 organisations that rival it

The best will not fight the best and it would even be a bigger mess than boxing imo
Uhhh... You do realize 150k for a title shot is significantly better than what one earns for a title shot in the UFC right?

that's not accurate as a blanket statement.
OK, how many title challengers bank more than 150k? I can't think of very many and most would probably be former champs.

12k is not the average pay either. i didn't say it was average. 12k is the min all 24 fighters on any card get.
Okay, well, I mean the average pay. Also ,a WBO top 10 Welterweight makes a lot more than a UFC fighter. Many UFC top 10 guys make 50k to show. And Cejudo made 300k (around that) for his double champ fight. If he was a boxer at WBO, he would made a lot more money.

doesn't the act require promoters to report their earnings and the contracts? I think getting all that info out there will help fighters get paid more. Recently, DC said he made more than Jones for the first fight, that would not happen under the Ali Act.

OK, how many title challengers bank more than 150k? I can't think of very many and most would probably be former champs.
going by reported payouts in 2019:
colby: 500k
max: 350k
de randamie: 100k
santos: 350k
holm: 300k
poirier: 250k
max: 350k
israel: 350k
kelvin: 150k
stipe: 750k
smith: 350k
usman: 350k

doesn't the act require promoters to report their earnings and the contracts? I think getting all that info out there will help fighters get paid more. Recently, DC said he made more than Jones for the first fight, that would not happen under the Ali Act.
he didn't say he made more than jones from what i have seen.

Well said. It would be disastrous. Boxing is based on a few big fights that occasionally get made, making it all the more exciting. It is an old sport that has more than than its current entertainment value suggests it should. Doing this in MMA would result in fractured chaos.

What about non-US based orgs?

And what happens to regional orgs?

SMH.... none of if that is true. The Ali Act doesn’t ban exclusive contracts. You are being misinformed

he didn't say he made more than jones from what i have seen.
I'm going off memory, but it was on his show with Ariel, a couple months ago. He said that Jones's management came to him telling him how much Jones has made, and that they could get him a similar contract. DC said no thank you, because he was making more

On the bright side fighters would get paid more and have more leverage. But we'd likely see more favorable matchups like boxing.

Do the positives outweigh the negatives?

low tier boxers get paid way less than ufc fighters. Ask that blond boxer chick that got shinned on the nose in bellator. She said her biggest pay was in bellator and she was some type of badass female boxer.

Back