Is the Ali Act good for MMA?

Is the Ali Act good for MMA?

• Total voters
Parkinson's disease isnt good for anyone.

Maybe MMA should act like someone that doesnt shake it like a Polaroid picture

If you mean that Ali terrorist, then no. That Ali act is no good for any US sport.

The main problem with it is the guys/girls who are currently fighting for 12/12 wouldn't have that value to anyone outside the UFC so wouldn't make anything like that.

They might not even get fights at all seeing as if organisations aren't keeping their fighters, they don't really have much incentive to develop up and coming talent.
Not true

of course the UFC will fight as hard as possible the Ali Act only allows 12 month exclusive contracts.

Why do people keep parroting this without actually explaining why it would happen? MMA isn't going to go to a boxing model anytime soon for a variety of reasons, but why do you think a boxing model where the promoters have to pay a significantly bigger slice of the pie to fighters would necessarily disadvantage fighters who don't draw? Are fighters who aren't at the top level and don't draw doing particularly well in MMA at the moment in terms of pay? Why would they get a smaller slice of the revenue in the event that promoters have to pay out more (I don't think they'd get much more, but there's no reason to expect they'd get less from what I can tell).

Also, with regards to promotions re-investing in boxing, boxing has an international amateur structure that MMA doesn't even come close to. I've been hearing for 15 years that the UFC is pouring tons of money into amateur MMA, but the rate of improvement in that amateur infrastructure even as the UFC profits have exploded is pretty meagre (or, in some areas, utterly non-existent).

Right now the ufc puts in the big shows. The early prelim guys benefit from that.

the issue is you don’t have strong demand for regional mma right now.

I’m not saying things would automatically be worse but if the giant changes course there’s no guarantee that there’s a market to swallow it up just the same.

Back