1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Is showing up just to collect paychecks any better than throwing fights?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by JustOnce, Apr 19, 2021.

1. JustOnce Always learning

So I think we need to talk about this. Im kinda curious what people think.

I have been a guy who really thought highly of Ben through his entire career. Still think Ben would wipe the floor with Mas 9 out of 10 times. I still think he wouldve beaten Colby. And give a tough fight to Usman. And wipe the floor with Khabib. And present tricky challenge to GSP.

So naturally I thought Askren would come through. Against a stronger, bigger, younger, more technically sound boxer with likely biases reffing and judging if it comes to it. Well reffing probably def played part.

But Ben is saying how he has been saying he didnt care if he lost or not. And his own sparring partner thought he was out of shape, though Sonnen said otherwise.

I dont think thats right. If Ben really came for a million dolllar and legit came giving no fuck what happened, how is that ethical? Is that any better than throwing a fight?

I mean Ben said himself that he was carrying the promotion and I dont know if he said if he doesnt care about the outcome maybe he did but it is 110 percent true that Ben was acting all the way through he was coming to beat Paul, and in his own words 7th round tko.

But if he was out of shape enough to a point where his own sparring partner was saying he was out of shape, and didnt care what happened but fought just for money and fun, is that ethical?

Thats pretty sick in my opinion. Thats not right, or is it?

Thad Castle v2, SKYNET and Ares Black like this.
  2. fg1985bg Blue Belt

In this particular case, I don’t mind Ben not really caring. It was simple for a paycheck and what retired fighter wouldn’t have done the same? That event was such a circus from the commentary to the performances....

Ethics and class were the last things going through my mind regarding the event. Is it ethically wrong to just grab the bag to collect the paycheck? Probably. Did it matter in this particular case? Nah...Happy for Ben getting paid.

3. JustOnce Always learning

How is it better than fixing fights?

4. DS66 Brown Belt

There's no rule saying athletes have to care. As long as they are still trying to win on fight night, I don't see any issue with it.

Ben has a very nonchalant attitude and a great outlook on life, but I still think he cared a lot more than he let on. Nobody wants to get KO'd by a douchebag YouTuber. Ben really wanted to win that fight whether he admits it or not. He's just a really terrible boxer, it is what it is.

5. bigmacbub Purple Belt

"that's pretty sick" lmfaoo being a lil dramatic are we? Showing up for a check and throwing a fight do not necessarily equate to the same thing. I'm sure if Ben could of won and not get ktfo he would have.

X Factor and Kraken like this.
  6. JustOnce Always learning

Maybe that makes more sense.

7. JustOnce Always learning

How are they different?

8. JustOnce Always learning

Well that sounds pretty sick thing to do man

9. bigmacbub Purple Belt

Lol do you really need a break down of the differences? Is critical thinking lost upon you? Not caring about a fight and actively intentionally losing? C mon my guy.....

10. r-harper-1 Silver Belt

Ben tried .....he just sucks at boxing ....his only chance was to survive early and take over late .....he didn’t survive Early

daPROFESSOR and Kraken like this.
  11. TIMELESS TRUTH Time Traveler

Sounds like something a wimp would ask other wimps.... welcome to Sherdog 2021 folks!

12. bigmacbub Purple Belt

/Thread

daPROFESSOR and TIMELESS TRUTH like this.
  13. JustOnce Always learning

Both are going to end up in you losing?

14. JustOnce Always learning

Tough guy right here folks!

cheesus and TIMELESS TRUTH like this.
  15. JustOnce Always learning

I think this guy might have been spot on in hindsight. Imagine having tried and losing to Jake Paul..I guess you might be 100 percent right

16. TIMELESS TRUTH Time Traveler

My wife's girlfriend would kick your boyfriend's ass!!!

dildos and Black Paladin like this.
  17. JustOnce Always learning

Confusing stuff

18. SKYNET Madrugada Eterna Platinum Member

[​IMG]

JustOnce likes this.
  19. cheesus Gold Belt

Ben legimately thought he was going to win, at the same time I'm sure he was well aware of the possibility of getting knocked out. I do believe he trained and put in some effort but obviously not nearly enough, he should have been with Roach for the entire duration of the camp and he should have had some more sparring. He overlooked Paul, just like he overlooked Masvidal.

Ben also just has no natural talent for striking, he doesn't have that type of ability. He is rather slow, not a fast twitch type athlete, he has more muscle agility & insane strength which works for many sports, but not boxing.

At the end of the day, Askrens fighting career was over long before this, he probably should have stopped before the UFC. He is now setup for life, as low as losing to a youtuber is, it's far more embarrassing and tragic when ex prize fighters have to fight well into their 40's relying on name recognition alone just to get enough to scrap by, because their career or money was piss poor managed. Askren has his life, his family, his interests, his financials and his wrestling to falll back on. Most fighters don't have that success story after retirement.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    King of Fists and achoo42 like this.
  20. Eric Silva 2.0 Purple Belt

Face it, Askren = .........
    upload_2021-4-19_20-49-38.jpeg

Gamer007 likes this.