Is showing up just to collect paychecks any better than throwing fights?

A lot of fighters show up for paychecks. Cerrone vs Conor for example. I think Jones kinda shows up for paychecks as well with his fights against Anthony Smith, Santos, and Reyes.

If they are trying to win then it's all fine. It doesn't matter otherwise. Throwing a fight is illegal and is a blatant cash grab. Going into a mismatch but trying your best isn't that.

but if you half ass in your fights how do you expect to win against much superior opponent?

fighting much superior opponent isn't same as fixing a brake. But then again i'm no mechanic

I don't think Ben thought Paul was a much superior opponent and I think he thought he could get away with training as little as he did.

implying that athletes in premier MMA orgs throw fights purposely is extremely disrespectful to the athletes and the sport in general and honestly i think it should be a bannable offense and I have reported TS for fighter bashing

I’ve had a lot of jobs I’ve shown up for half heartedly over the years, I’m sure that happens in a lot of professional sports.

How are they different?
I’d say it comes down to intent. You can show up to a fight to collect a paycheck, and still try to win. I think the implication is you just didn’t put your best effort to prepare for it for whatever reason (motivation, laziness, injuries, etc). Throwing a fight is intentionally losing with no intent ever to win. Both have money as the main objective, but one has no intent to ever try and win.

Back