Is Sambo the greatest single martial art on the planet?

JustPED

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
tumblr_mgxf142G8e1qaa8d1o1_500.gif

Id like to hear a counter argument.

tumblr_mndqwjRz6p1qfrkf9o1_500.gif

The khabib fight was a brutal display of rag rolling someone who has elite skill in one area. Half of Fedors career was the same thing. The other half was down to his own atributes and development as a mmartist, and i know that Sambo guys are also fighting guys who have developed many styles thesedays.

But as far as a single martial art goes, is there anything better than Sambo?

tumblr_mndqkwCTvx1qfrkf9o1_500.gif

it's a gross over-simplification to say that any martial art is better than another

No, because then everyone would train sambo instead of BJJ, wrestling etc.

The greatest single martial art is marksmanship. I can see Sambo being second or third.

It's such antiquated thinking

The fact is as you get higher up the levels in each martial art they all start doing the same things.

As an art by itself it is better than wrestling, BJJ and boxing because it mixes all of them together. Anyone that says otherwise is bias, nationalistic, or uneducated.

Does Sambo involve a lot of punching? Because that's what's happening in 2/3 of those gifs.

Yes, it is.

And yes, I'm biased

If sambo is indicitive of Khabib's last fight, then sambo is the art of not letting something stand up while you hug them from behind and make no submission attempts and try and inflict damage.

If sambo is indicitive of Khabib's last fight, then sambo is the art of not letting something stand up while you hug them from behind and make no submission attempts and try and inflict damage.

Abel got saved by the bell in the first round
Fedor is Sambo in and out

Almost all of sambo's useful grappling techniques are borrowed from catch wrestling, except the few derived from Judo. And you don't need to punch if you have Karelin takedowns. So nope. Pro wrestling still wins. If Chiek Kongo trained catch wrestling under Billy Robinson for the same amount of time he has been training kickboxing with whoeverthefuck, then he would be the undisputed HW champion with 20 consecutive title defenses. Probably. It's science bro.

I'm disregarding Sambo's punching techniques because swinging for the fences should not really be the defining characteristic of any martial art.

Last edited:
lol wat?

You should see the planet, sometime. So many more dangerous applications when rules aren't involved.

In terms of mma? No.

The greatest single martial art is marksmanship. I can see Sambo being second or third.

Great point. The greatest Sambo player in history would lose to an average marksman 95 times out of 100. In a street fight with no rules, of course.

Back