Is running early in the morning a good routine?

I prefer an hour on the bike before breakfast. Maybe I'm just getting old (early 20's) but the impact of running fucks me up for the rest of the day, leaving me stiff and sore.

Besides, aren't you not supposed to go 100% on an empty stomach? The bike is definitely my choice for a good 60-75 minutes @ around 70% Vo2, and I leave running for the night.

i think that it is a good idea if you can stick to it, my advice is get involved in a sport while you still can

When you wake up, have some green tea. Green tea will act as a fat burner alone cause your stomach is empty and the cardio will shed alot more fat. When you come home eat Oatmeal and a glass of OJ

i wouldnt even bother, no point at 6:30am, once u get past first few days u'll lose all motivation to get up that early then go to school, better doing it at night, maybe befor dinner, otherwise u'll last about a week then give up

i drink my whey protein as soon as i wake up and after about 20 minutes a begin running.
don't forget that you should mix your whey only with water, milk and other staff slowers it.

for some reason my cardio workouts suffer in the mornings. Im talking like if i try to go run the local stairs before work at like 5:30 in the am, i feel super winded and almost like puking after about 3 sprints up the stairs......but if i go after work around 6:00 pm i can blow out 10 sprints up these stairs no problem!

Keep at it. It takes some time to adapt to morning cardio, but after a month tops you'll be able to go at 100% no problem. I think much of it is psychological.

Be careful with this. Your body is in a very catabolic state first thing in the morning, and you are primed for muscle loss as well as fat loss. You really should have some carbs and protein first. The positive effects of running with proper nutrition in your stomach on basal metabolic rate (calories burned throughout the day) far outweigh the negative effects you're going to experience in terms of muscle loss by working out first thing in the a.m. with your glycogen stores depleted and your muscles already starving for nutrition.

Gmaniac said:
Be careful with this. Your body is in a very catabolic state first thing in the morning, and you are primed for muscle loss as well as fat loss. You really should have some carbs and protein first. The positive effects of running with proper nutrition in your stomach on basal metabolic rate (calories burned throughout the day) far outweigh the negative effects you're going to experience in terms of muscle loss by working out first thing in the a.m. with your glycogen stores depleted and your muscles already starving for nutrition.

youre talking about cardio right? What about wieght lifting early morning? I go to the gym at 5:30 am 3 times a week to lift......my cardio sucks in the morning so i save cardio/conditioning for pm,.....anyways i drink a protien shake with water before 5:30 workout and sip gatorade throughout, and then chug gatorade when done with workout. Is that sufficient to keep glyco from getting depleted?

largeli said:
youre talking about cardio right? What about wieght lifting early morning? I go to the gym at 5:30 am 3 times a week to lift......my cardio sucks in the morning so i save cardio/conditioning for pm,.....anyways i drink a protien shake with water before 5:30 workout and sip gatorade throughout, and then chug gatorade when done with workout. Is that sufficient to keep glyco from getting depleted?

Yes.

And I'm not sure. You'd have to do some research and personal trial and error to find out what's optimal. But it would depend on a variety of factors including what you ate the night before, workout intensity, etc. The fact that you're eating something upon waking, pre-workout in the morning is at least helping to take your body out of such a catabolic state.

This may have been mentioned, but running in the morning is great for losing weight - your body is forced to burn off stored glucose and fat reserves since your body has been at rest for hopefully 8 hours...

try it but it has to be fun - if you are not a morning person don't force it - may be run home from school everyday - saves a bus ride and you get in shape

is there any diference between doing exercises at morning and at night??

if you chose running to be your cardio then run any time you can if you have time while your watching tv fuck the tv run. Your young just keep moving take the long way when going to school. Take the stair. Walk everywhere you can that is close to you. just stay activte by moving never stop moving.

Back