Is running early in the morning a good routine?

geoffreysquire

Orange Belt
Reaction score
hey,

i am 15 years old, and basically i wanna lose some weight. I am considering running on a treadmill every morning at 6.30am before school, what do u guys think of this? I am gonna cut down on the food and stuff, but are there also any other exercises u guys recommend? Also, is it better to run on an empty stomach or about 1 and a half hours after uve eaten?

cheers
geoff

I like to drink coffee before I run and do it on an empty stomach then eat a big bowl of oatmeal

To minimize muscle loss alot of dietitians say that you should digest some aminos prior to morning runs.

i love to do my cardio in the morning, gets the energy systems going for the rest of the day. I always feel more alive the whole day if i do cardio in the morning

when i do my morning run (anywhere from 2-8) miles i always do it first thing. it has something to do with your body having a higher energy level and a higher metabolism. anything over 8 miles i munch on a powerbar with yogurt an hour and a half before.

thanks for the comments guys, basically i am gonna try it tomorrow, will let u know how it went.

Make sure you warm up first. Running first thing in the morning can be hard on youy spine and joints since all the fluid isn't spread around yet. You're young though, so it should be okay.

If you do eat, make sure you warm up to protect your joints. As far as an empty stomach...it works for some people, some it doesn't. If you do eat, you'll want some aminos in your blood...so I'd say go with a whey protein shake. Give it at least 15 min to get into your blood before running...maybe even up to 25. If you chug and go, you'll probably see it come back up a mile or two down the road. And make sure you cool down...don't want shin splints.

ah ok thanks, i tried it today, and it went pretty well. I just did 30 mins of running on a treadmill. Is it true that lifting weights also helps reduce fat?

geoffreysquire said:
ah ok thanks, i tried it today, and it went pretty well. I just did 30 mins of running on a treadmill. Is it true that lifting weights also helps reduce fat?

Yes because muscle requires calories to work, so by activating muscles who will increase calorie burn possibly even more than running for 1/2 hour.

dragon_21 said:
Yes because muscle requires calories to work, so by activating muscles who will increase calorie burn possibly even more than running for 1/2 hour.
Lifting increases metabolic rates as well as adding muscle over the long term, when done correctly. Muscle burns more calories just by existing there idle, so that also adds to increase metabolic rates.

Read the stickies on the S&P forum and put together a beginner routine. If you are going to start lifting, then start with a decent routine. Don't do too much at first , either. See if you can stick with just the carido for a while, make that a habit.

All the above is IMO, YMMV.

You're going to want to get something in your stomach even if it's not a lot to get your body out of it's catabolic state. By running on an empty stomach the fat you will lose is minimal. If anyone disagrees with what I just said let me know and I'll clarify further.

thanks again for the comments, i will try and find a beginner routine from the sticky topics. So Placebo, u r saying that i shud DEFINATELY eat something before i run then? dammit im confused now, to eat or not to eat?

generally speaking, exercise of any kind is better than not exercising when it comes to increasing your metabolic rate... this is especially true in the morning along with getting some good food in your body for the same reason... if you are weight training also however, it has been shown that lifting in the morning and running in the afternoon/night is better for preserving muscle mass, which might be counterproductive for you if you are solely soncerned with drooping the weight... anywho, running in the morning is a greta idea considering the alternative (doing nothing), just be sure to take all the proper warm-up steps that were posted above

with my experience, I HAVE to eat in the morning before doing any type of exercise... some people however cannot eat too soon before exercise and eating therefore interferes w/ their workout

In a perfect world one would want to eat before exercising (good, clean food, I would recommend oatmeal in the morning), but not all people can do this, so if it doesn't interfere w/ your run I would recommend getting somehting in your body that early in the morning (just not a whole meal)

mahalo said:
when i do my morning run (anywhere from 2-8) miles i always do it first thing. it has something to do with your body having a higher energy level and a higher metabolism. anything over 8 miles i munch on a powerbar with yogurt an hour and a half before.

I don't think your metabolism is high once you wake up. But the exercise will kick start it.

Correct me if i'm wrong.

Also, is it best to run off an empty stomach b/c your glycogen levels are lowest? Thus your body will be more likely to burn fat for energy instead of sugars?

(again please correct me if i'm wrong)

Mad Greek said:
I don't think your metabolism is high once you wake up. But the exercise will kick start it.

Correct me if i'm wrong.

Also, is it best to run off an empty stomach b/c your glycogen levels are lowest? Thus your body will be more likely to burn fat for energy instead of sugars?

(again please correct me if i'm wrong)

according to Siff, an empty stomach will burn 15% more calories.

Also distance running does not require a warm up. the beginning is the warm-up.

Back