Is Robbie Lawler the best overall/striker in the history of the UFC's Welterweight?

Then enlighten me, who has better striking and movement that Robbie in the UFC's welterweight division today or ever?
Tarec Saffiedine is definitely pretty close. His set-ups for low kicks are amazing and his defensive footwork is very good.

Diaz, Condit, thiago alves, and GSP are levels ahead Lawler striking wise.

That doesn't make sense to me. He's not a striker and you think he's a better striker than Robbie Lawler, than I'd say you have no idea in what your talking about.
What? Mma striking is the use of all mma techniques to outstrike the opponent. Using the threat of wrestling to outstrike the opponent is mma striking. Ergo, GSP is an excellent mma striker.

Furthermore, "GSP is not a striker"-- his base is in Kyokushin and he was known for his striking between 2004-2006. He is definitely a striker. Just because he decided to get really good at takedowns doesn't make him a wrestler. I am pretty sure GSP has never been in an actual wrestling match throughout his entire life.

Tarec Saffiedine is definitely pretty close. His set-ups for low kicks are amazing and his defensive footwork is very good.

I've thought of him too when I wrote this. He's very technical, but his strikes aren't as effective as Lawlers.

I'd still go with GSP. Condit is a mean striker but he throws defense out the window more often than not, if he didn't have an iron chin he'd never have been a top fighter.

Most power? Possibly.
GSP is the best overall WW striker IMO.
But Robbie's striking is definitely more complete than it was 10 years ago.

People saying GSP when ts said OVERALL. When I think of GSP striking I think of boxing. But Robbie throws it all. I don't know.

tumblr_m8rq65mwNW1ry1rm7o1_250.gif

Do you really want me to bust out the numerous .gifs of St-Pierre's excellent striking on my hard drive?

Then enlighten me, who has better striking and movement that Robbie in the UFC's welterweight division today or ever?

You know what after thinking about it more he probably does overall. I was just thinking of Lombard and Woodley having more lethal punches but Robbie throws it all so I have to go back on what I said originally. I love Lawler he's one of my favorites.

I've thought of him too when I wrote this. He's very technical, but his strikes aren't as effective as Lawlers.
Well, his low kicks are, but yeah you're right his hands pretty much exist to keep opponents off him and set-up his kicks.

Anybody would've knocked out GSP's opponents in the past today... Were talking about evolved elites, not cans.

Many people have already answered your question. GSP consistently out struck the best strikers at ww. Alves, condit, diaz. He was the best. He was a master at controlling distance

What? Mma striking is the use of all mma techniques to outstrike the opponent. Using the threat of wrestling to outstrike the opponent is mma striking. Ergo, GSP is an excellent mma striker.

Furthermore, "GSP is not a striker"-- his base is in Kyokushin and he was known for his striking between 2004-2006. He is definitely a striker. Just because he decided to get really good at takedowns doesn't make him a wrestler. I am pretty sure GSP has never been in an actual wrestling match throughout his entire life.

People also think there are no double legs in Jiu Jitsu

Alves and Condit, but Lawler has improved drastically
This guy is really underrated IMO. Obviously great kicking, but nobody ever talks about his excellent counterpunching.

You know what after thinking about it more he probably does overall. I was just thinking of Lombard and Woodley having more lethal punches but Robbie throws it all so I have to go back on what I said originally. I love Lawler he's one of my favorites.

See, if you really think about it, it does make sense...

Robbie's elite striking now is underappreciated, hence why people are talking about his last fight enough imo...

GSP? LMAO! Condit lost the striking game to Woodley, so where is he in the picture?

GSP beat on Diaz standing up most of the fight. He rather use his greatest strength with low risk of getting caught. He has the highest fight IQ and probably the best boxing @ WW

Back