Is Robbie Lawler the best overall/striker in the history of the UFC's Welterweight?

I don't think Lawler's performance overshadowed TJ's at all and I'm a big Lawler fan. One of the reasons being is that TJ was supposed to get wrecked by Barao and he did the exact opposite. He also showed better footwork and head movement than Lawler that night.

If we're talking about pure striking than I would agree, Lawler is the best. However the best striker at WW is GSP because he's so good at threating with his wrestling.

GSP beat on Diaz standing up most of the fight. He rather use his greatest strength with low risk of getting caught. He has the highest fight IQ and probably the best boxing @ WW

Yeah, GSP did out jab Diaz from the distance. But that doesn't make him an elite striker, let alone the best striker... I don't buy that.

This guy is really underrated IMO. Obviously great kicking, but nobody ever talks about his excellent counterpunching.

He is hands down my favorite fighter. People will notice him again soon enough :D

Larkin beat him standing up too guess he's a top 5 WW striker too , sherdog is funy

I really can't put him ahead of Nick Diaz.. And therefore some other guys.

Anybody would've knocked out GSP's opponents in the past today... Were talking about evolved elites, not cans.

Didn't realize we hired another GSP troll?
There's already 2 full timers in this forum so we're gonna have to just put you on part time & covering vacations.

I don't think Lawler's performance overshadowed TJ's at all and I'm a big Lawler fan. One of the reasons being is that TJ was supposed to get wrecked by Barao and he did the exact opposite. He also showed better footwork and head movement than Lawler that night.

If we're talking about pure striking than I would agree, Lawler is the best. However the best striker at WW is GSP because he's so good at threating with his wrestling.

We're not talking about wrestling to set up strikes.

TS is getting a lot of shit and although I might not necessarily agree with him, I think Robbie Lawler has a serious case if you take his power into consideration.

TS has a short memory span...
Just cos Robbie is looking good now doesn't mean u come to the conclusion that he's the best overall striker @ WW today LMAO
Remember Carlos Condit's run to the top?
One punch KO of Hardy, actually 'finishing' Rory, then flying knee KO of the Dong!

Lawlers striking is like Kampmann either he looks good or eats a shitload of shots.

I really can't put him ahead of Nick Diaz.. And therefore some other guys.

Diaz is 1 dimensional, we saw what happened with the Condit & GSP fight. Robbie has the ability to close the distance and have the technique to win on points against Condit and GSP.

Lawler has a lot of cool KOs but, he's been outstruck a little too many time to be considered some GOAT striker. I'd say GSP would be the best striker, but his performance against hendricks showed that it's not that effective if he is unable to land take downs consistently. Thiago alves is good but he hasn't beaten enough high level strikers to be in consideration for goat list. Condit is also good, but if he didn't have crazy chin, he would've had a bunch of KO losses. WW is not striker's division in general, if I had to chose i'd say it's GSP, eventhough he is not some striking phenom.

As for some non-obvious answers, IMO, Mike Pyle and Gunnar Nelson both have excellent striking.

Back