Is Rickson Gracie even relevant any more?

I have been to a Rickson seminar. He doesn't have any secrets. He is relevant though, both as an authority on BJJ and as a former champion. But, he is damn near 60... he can't actually beat current champions. Anyone who believes that... well, he can't. But he is certainly still relevant. I mean, I am sure he can still beat just about every other 60 year old man out there.

I heard that he represented earth in some sort of tournament designed to prevent an alien invasion last year, and won by armbar against some guy with 4 arms

I heard it was a choke against some guy with no neck.

Like someone mentioned, Rickson is a legend more than anything else now. Legends aren't practical, but they are relevant. And as for taking jiu-jitsu backward, I tend to think of him as trying to keep it grounded. As a sport, it's absolutely come a long way. As a fighting art, not so much.

As other's have asked, define relevant. He's 54 years old. Seems that never gets brought up.

I always wonder why there are no relevant BBs under Rickson. If he has got the magic tricks he surely would have taught some people. And Kron doesn't count, he's really good but by no means above everybody else. And he has been doing this for much longer than 99% of people including world champions. The lack of successful students (in BJJ or MMA) makes me wonder if Rickson is really what most of us believe of him (like invisible JJ, technique beyond anything else).

I wish Ricardo Liborio vs. Rickson happened. I think Rickson's BJJ mythology would have been completely different today if it did.

After reading this thread I just want to say Rickson will always be more relevant than you.

Rickson Gracie should have the respect from you guys from what he has done which makes him relevant, just because he is not birthing world champs every single day does not mean he is not relevant.

tl;dr someone who isn't relevant should not be saying if a legend of our sport is relevant or not.

Anyone who says Rickson isn't relevant or hasn't produced any good guys besides Kron doesn't know what they are talking about. The style that Rickson teaches is very old school and a lot of his guys don't really compete as much, but are fucking beasts. Go to Krons academy to train and you will see what I'm talking about. Kevin casey and Shane Rice are both BBs under Rickson. I know neither of them have won worlds but they are both incredibly high level grapplers. Henry Akins never really competed past purple belt (I'm pretty sure of that) but is an phenomenal instructor and grappler. I know some of you will call BS on this, but if you really don't believe Rickson has produced any good grapplers, go to his gym in LA and roll with some of his guys (although this is technically Kron's gym now).

I always wonder why there are no relevant BBs under Rickson. If he has got the magic tricks he surely would have taught some people. And Kron doesn't count, he's really good but by no means above everybody else. And he has been doing this for much longer than 99% of people including world champions. The lack of successful students (in BJJ or MMA) makes me wonder if Rickson is really what most of us believe of him (like invisible JJ, technique beyond anything else).

What is your definition of successful? More than a few well regard instructors have BB under Rickson, guys that are monsters on the mat, and I think guys that have competed well, but not at the elite level (except for Kron that I can think of)

My observations make me think being a top black belt competitor today has lot to do with coming out of a system that is designed to produce top level black belt competitors, a system that sets up a lot of training opportunities, focus on tournament strategies, and usual having satellite schools and affiliates that can feed in promising competitors. That is not dig, I think a testament to working towards that focus and having built great systems and methods. I focus a lot of my training on being a good competitor in "sport BJJ", I think I receive great instruction, but if you want to be a Black Belt Mundial champ odds are you need more than that, you need to be part of the right system.

However producing BJJ world champs it isn't the be all and end of BJJ, and I don't think it is even relevant for 99% of the people on this board, competitor or not. Maybe Rickson focused on his own jiu jitsu, or a good program for the everyman, or whatever.

As far as relevant he has given enough seminars and while getting details is always cryptic, no one has ever come out and said it was a dud, most people are blown away it seems.

Anyone who says Rickson isn't relevant or hasn't produced any good guys besides Kron doesn't know what they are talking about. The style that Rickson teaches is very old school and a lot of his guys don't really compete as much, but are fucking beasts. Go to Krons academy to train and you will see what I'm talking about. Kevin casey and Shane Rice are both BBs under Rickson. I know neither of them have won worlds but they are both incredibly high level grapplers. Henry Akins never really competed past purple belt (I'm pretty sure of that) but is an phenomenal instructor and grappler. I know some of you will call BS on this, but if you really don't believe Rickson has produced any good grapplers, go to his gym in LA and roll with some of his guys (although this is technically Kron's gym now).

Dude, obviously Rickson has created "good grapplers." What the heck, even the most McDojo style of Gracie Barra can. We're talking about world champions and big names from a guy with his mystical background. Obviously anybody can be a "fucking beast" at black belt level (assuming they're not 50some years old), but without accolades, everything you're saying is just from your lowly experience (I use that term carefully, as in a very hobby style way of doing BJJ).

I don't think he's been relevant for a long time, other than as Kron's coach (his only really successful student) and for running his tournament. I hear a lot of 'so and so told so and so who told me that an unnamed BB world champ couldn't get out of his mount', but there are never any names. I believe he has amazing BJJ and I'm sure he could teach us all a lot, but he's trying to pull the game backwards rather than push it forwards. In that sense, I think he's not very relevant to the BJJ scene today except as an occasionally cranky artifact from a much earlier day.

I feel as though a lot of people think I'm butchering some sacred cow by simply asking the question. Uchi Mata's response resonated more than any other on this thread. I just feel that for someone as almost godlike and truly legendary as Rickson, who clearly (if nothing else) will go down in history as one of the greatest BJJ practitioners of all time, he could be truly promulgating BJJ on a much grander scale, both in terms of instruction, as well as culture. But instead, it's like the only thing I ever see of him is the obligatory camera shots at ADCC and coaching his son, Kron. His school could be one of legend, and could easily be the benchmark of BJJ schools around the world. Yet, where does he teach? Someplace in Rio? SoCal?

It's quite possible that I have a very uninformed view or perception. But this is the perception I have because I see nothing else to the contrary. And believe me, I find Rickson to be incredibly inspiring. So I guess on some level I also find it disappointing that, as someone as amazing as him, he could be so much more involved and have such a greater, grander presence. But instead, he's just off in the background at best, while the rest of the BJJ world seems to have begun to evolve beyond him.

I heard that he represented earth in some sort of tournament designed to prevent an alien invasion last year, and won by armbar against some guy with 4 arms

Yeah heard about that. Said he got some kind of crazy hold that snapped all four arms at once.

:icon_excl

I feel as though a lot of people think I'm butchering some sacred cow by simply asking the question. Uchi Mata's response resonated more than any other on this thread. I just feel that for someone as almost godlike and truly legendary as Rickson, who clearly (if nothing else) will go down in history as one of the greatest BJJ practitioners of all time, he could be truly promulgating BJJ on a much grander scale, both in terms of instruction, as well as culture. But instead, it's like the only thing I ever see of him is the obligatory camera shots at ADCC and coaching his son, Kron. His school could be one of legend, and could easily be the benchmark of BJJ schools around the world. Yet, where does he teach? Someplace in Rio? SoCal?
It's quite possible that I have a very uninformed view or perception. But this is the perception I have because I see nothing else to the contrary. And believe me, I find Rickson to be incredibly inspiring. So I guess on some level I also find it disappointing that, as someone as amazing as him, he could be so much more involved and have such a greater, grander presence. But instead, he's just off in the background at best, while the rest of the BJJ world seems to have begun to evolve beyond him.

Don't thing always evolve beyond the past physics evolved beyond Newton,but his theories are still used today. Math evolved beyond simple arthmitic to calculus but what is used more and is most useful on a daily basis by most people?
Rickson has put out even recently at least some philosophical stuff. He has done seminars and some of the concepts from those have filtered out. Why does his contribution have to be building tournament killers or Dvds which he has said can't convey the ideas he feels are crucial to be relevant if those things aren't important to him or more important are important his ideal of jiu jitsu?

You can't stand on a mat with Rodrigo Vaghi for more than 1 minute without learning something that will revolutionize your game.

And I say that because he's just a Rickson BB and not Rickson himself.

(As if there is such a thing a "just a Rickson BB.")

Don't thing always evolve beyond the past physics evolved beyond Newton,but his theories are still used today. Math evolved beyond simple arthmitic to calculus but what is used more and is most useful on a daily basis by most people?
Rickson has put out even recently at least some philosophical stuff. He has done seminars and some of the concepts from those have filtered out. Why does his contribution have to be building tournament killers or Dvds which he has said can't convey the ideas he feels are crucial to be relevant if those things aren't important to him or more important are important his ideal of jiu jitsu?

So basically, he cannot teach JJ for competition. His JJ is more for fighting.

How relevant will Marcelo Garcia be when he's 60 compared to the top guys of their time. Jiu Jitsu will always evolve and by that time what he does now will seem "too old school". His knowledge and experience will always be relevant as is Rickson's.

So basically, he cannot teach JJ for competition. His JJ is more for fighting.

Kron, Roger and Xande don't use half the tournament techs used today and seem to be doing ok.

Bjj has changed quite a bit. Before it was all Gracie now it isn't. Rickson still has a lot of respect but it isn't the same Jiu Jitsu style he lived in today.

Back