Is Rickson Gracie even relevant any more?

jgn2112

White Belt
Reaction score
I rarely ever hear of him doing seminars. I think he has a school in Rio but you never hear of anything from his students (or if you do they're few and far between). BJJ just seems to be evolving so quickly and it seems like he's just faded into the background. For someone who was, at least at one time regarded as the greatest ever and an absolute legend, he almost has disappeared to the point where I wonder if he's even relevant any more.
Just curious for everyone's thoughts.

Shut your mouth heathen.

Well kron is his student and you hear about him, right?

i never cared for rickson that much tbh. but if he came to town for a seminar, i guarantee the place would be packed, no matter how overpriced it is.

Our instructor, a Rickson BB has been to every Rickson seminar in the US last year. He said a certain world champion heavyweight couldn't get out of Rickson's knee on chest.. Look up Rickson seminar 2012 and see who's attending. I'd say he's relevant.

He's about as relevant a figure in BJJ as there is today.

I seek out Rickson's students as instructors and usually learn critical details I don't get other places. Usually I focus on basics, and the techniques inside techniques that really make jiu jitsu work (the so-called invisible jiu jitsu.)

I may have drank the kool-aid, but I think there is something aobut getting as close to the source as possible.

I don't think he's been relevant for a long time, other than as Kron's coach (his only really successful student) and for running his tournament. I hear a lot of 'so and so told so and so who told me that an unnamed BB world champ couldn't get out of his mount', but there are never any names. I believe he has amazing BJJ and I'm sure he could teach us all a lot, but he's trying to pull the game backwards rather than push it forwards. In that sense, I think he's not very relevant to the BJJ scene today except as an occasionally cranky artifact from a much earlier day.

Rickson is a legend. Just like how we talk about Hercules.

You don't mess with legends.

define relevant?

from my point of view, Rickson will always be relevant in the bjj world, its like asking is MJ is still relevant to the world of basketball...

define relevant?

from my point of view, Rickson will always be relevant in the bjj world, its like asking is Wilt Chamberlain is still relevant to the world of basketball...

I like to think of Marcelo as the MJ of BJJ.

He's not "relevant" if you define relevant as being on the cutting edge of sport BJJ. That's a pretty lame definition of relevant in my opinion, though.

Our instructor, a Rickson BB has been to every Rickson seminar in the US last year. He said a certain world champion heavyweight couldn't get out of Rickson's knee on chest.. Look up Rickson seminar 2012 and see who's attending. I'd say he's relevant.

Pics and name or didn't happen :icon_neut

He's not "relevant" if you define relevant as being on the cutting edge of sport BJJ. That's a pretty lame definition of relevant in my opinion, though.

Agree.

By that logic guys like Mifune and Karelin aren't relevant to their arts either.

And that Kimura guy, what has he done lately....

If any of the legends, living or dead, wished to offer advise to my sorry game (yes at 10 years of total grappling I am an untalented noob compared to those greats!) I would shut up, listen and thank them, not ask what have they done lately or if their technique is "relevant" in modern Judo/BJJ/Wrestling

Totally depends on what the TS means by relevant.

I'm guessing at this point his defence is very strong and he is probably unsubmitable but I think he can get his guard passed, mounted etc. Even in his prime he had his guard passed etc but came back to submit them eventually.

I agree completely. Defining relevant according to the world of sport Bjj is very limited. The same could be said of Relson, but I still go to every Relson seminar he has in Philly because I find his decades of fighting experience as well as the input of someone who knows how to practice intensely over the long term to be very relevant to my interests and goals.

I heard that he represented earth in some sort of tournament designed to prevent an alien invasion last year, and won by armbar against some guy with 4 arms

Back