Is Phil Davis the best current UFC fighter to never have had a title shot?

and he beat what top ten fighter exactly? Rampage? lol bader? te huna? and we all know rampage has had problems lately, whether it be he is at the end of his career or wasn't healthy or happy. either way hes not in the top ten. IMO the UFC built Glover as a contender and padded his record with less then stellar competition to have someone to challenge Jones since nobody saw GUS giving that great a fight they thought they needed to have a challenger people would be excited about to sell tickets and have a big draw.

Who has Davis beat? He should've lost the Machida fight. Gus wasn't in the top 10 when they fought and nowhere near the type of fighter he is today. I also don't get why you laugh at beating Bader. Jones got his shot after beating him. Machida was supposed to get his shot after beating him too. Also, beating Rampage > beating Lil Nog

renan barao

357hcon.gif

P.Davis_Fighter.jpg

Well go on wins.

Davis has 3 wins against the current top 10.

Stann
Gus
Boetsch
Lil Nog
Prado
Maghales
Machida

Werdum is up there.

Jacare is up there.

Anyone else?

Stann, Magalhaes and Prado really mean nothing, to be honest. Cub Swanson in my opinion is the best fighter on the roster to not recieve a title shot in the UFC. Granted, he lost a title fight to the current champ in the WEC, but he hasn't lost a fight in 2 years and has finished all but one of his opponents since. Poirier is the only guy he didn't finish, dominating that fight, and Poirier is a tough, tough guy.

phil davis is is a boring wrestling fighter,,basically a worse version of rashad evans...He got dominated by Machida yet was gifted a W...

OMG it pisses me off how people don't only think Davis won a close fight that should have went to Machida but think it was a robbery. Davis won two rounds pretty clear cut. That flurry in the first round didn't connect and was a counter to a nice Davis kick. Combine that with the TD and Davis gets round 1. Nothing going on in Round 2 except the Davis TD and with another minute Davis could have finished Machida. Only in Round 3 did Machida really do anything stuffing all of Davis TD's and dominating the standup. Davis won 29-28 all these people who think Machida got robbed have to stop it's okay to think Machida won but it's not ok to keep saying it couldn't have been scored either way and Machida dominated because he didn't.

OMG it pisses me off how people don't only think Davis won a close fight that should have went to Machida but think it was a robbery. Davis won two rounds pretty clear cut. That flurry in the first round didn't connect and was a counter to a nice Davis kick. Combine that with the TD and Davis gets round 1. Nothing going on in Round 2 except the Davis TD and with another minute Davis could have finished Machida. Only in Round 3 did Machida really do anything stuffing all of Davis TD's and dominating the standup. Davis won 29-28 all these people who think Machida got robbed have to stop it's okay to think Machida won but it's not ok to keep saying it couldn't have been scored either way and Machida dominated because he didn't.

Machida obviously won, though.

Glover is one of the most overhyped fighters in UFC. He has nothing to offer against Jon Jones and he's gonna get crushed.

Hmmm... this sounds familiar... Oh yeah, that's what everyone said about Gus.

On topic he's right up there near the top. I'd probably say Lamas but Davis is a beast too.

How is it obvious if Davis clearly won Round 2, Machida clearly won Round 3 and Round 1 could have went either way?

Right, but Machida won round two. One late takedown shouldn't take precedence over Machida's control over the rest of the round. You can have close fights with clear winners.

Right, but Machida won round two. One late takedown shouldn't take precedence over Machida's control over the rest of the round. You can have close fights with clear winners.

Nothing went on the entire round until that TD and with another minute Davis would have finished Machida as Machida couldn't get up and Davis was hitting him with little to no resistance at the bell. I can't see how you can give Davis the second. Even the majority of people who think Davis lost scored it 29-28.

Glover has zero wins against the current top 10.

Davis has wins against Machida, Gus and Nog.

Machida fight was a robbery. Gus wasn't top 10 when Davis beat him and neither was Nog. Evans beat him easily as well.

Werdum would not beat jds , Cain, overeem.. I'd like to see werdum vs Cormier or miocic

People are seriously trying to discredit Davis since it looks like he and Gustafson may fight at some point. If Gustafson is as good as you think he is, he'll beat Davis. It's really that simple.

Phil is definitely the most explosive fighter not to get a title shot.

DC would have got a title shot if he didn't love Cain.
Davis wasn't impressive defeating Nog and was Gus even ranked at the time?
He also "loss" to machida seeing how Sherdog ranks it as the #5 robbery of all time.

Machida fight was a robbery. Gus wasn't top 10 when Davis beat him and neither was Nog. Evans beat him easily as well.

Just curious, how did you score Shogun/Machida I?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicenhot
Back