Is okami's strength overhyped?

Show some fights where Okami was clearly dwarfing his opponents? Right but Joe and Dana tell you how huge he is, so he must be. In his ufc career at least, he's never fought anyone way smaller than him.

Go watch Rich vs Okami, that will open your eyes.

Show some fights where Okami was clearly dwarfing his opponents? Right but Joe and Dana tell you how huge he is, so he must be. In his ufc career at least, he's never fought anyone way smaller than him.

Go watch Rich vs Okami, that will open your eyes.

They were the same size....

No it's not overhyped at all. Watch the fights.

Boetsch is a very big and strong MW with a good wrestling background and Okami showed he was functionally stronger than him.

This made me chuckle.

Okami is strong and a great grappler. Lots of guys get recognition for takedowns but Okami takes guys down and they just don't get up. More importantly I will take the fighters words for how strong he is. 3 times guys have gone back to their corners during an Okami fight and said "Damn he's strong" or something similar. The best was Mike Swick who seemed genuinely in disbelief of how strong he was. Not many other fighters can I recall that happening to in fights.

Came here to say this. When do you hear fighters say things like that?

Okami doesn't necessarily have killer instinct but you can't deny his strength. Do people remember how he simply bodylocked boetch and you could see how easily he broke his posture when getting him down.

Very good guard passing too. Rogan said Belcher was more likely to submit Okami than vice versa, but it was Okami putting Belcher is more dangerous positions throughout the fight.

Belcher was fucking huge in their recent fight, and Yushin controlled him very well

If he's that strong, how come 90% of his fights are decisions?

He's the most boring "star" in the UFC (to me / my opinion/ no fighter bashing)

edit: I relooked at his stats, and its no where near 90% but I'll stand by my original statement

GSP is unquestionably one of the strongest WWs if not the strongest and nearly all of his fights go to decision and he consistently gets 2 more rounds to finish people than Okami gets.

I don't know where you got that strength should = finishes. Being able to control position is still a far reach from winning by stoppage.

Motherfucker you have done it now.

People don't have much to say about Yushin "The Monsoon" Okami?

Yushin "The Rainmaker" Okami is the fucking man, masterful judo, elite wrestling, K-1 striking, infinite cardio and submissions so deadly he has to stop himself from using them lest he murder the poor Alan Belchers of the world and get the UFC banned. When Yushin "Rolling Thunder" Okami shows his strength he doesn't do it with powerbombs or explosive takedowns, he instead stares mountains into crumbling and wills humans into living deaths.

They even named a documentary video game based on his life story:

250px-OkamiNTSCcoverFinal.jpg

It tells the factual story of the time Yushin "Lightning Rod" Okami defeated all the evil beings in the celestial planes. They're working on a sequel where he embarrasses the entirety of the middleweight division (Anderson Silva will have moved to light-heavyweight.)

Do you even understand how many fighters are ducking Yushin "Flash Flood" Okami? They had to go through the entire roster before they found someone who was so careless with their life and career that they would agree to sign the papers. Even Rousimar Palhares was like "I'm pretty crazy but I'm smart enough not to go fight Yushin 'Thank You' Okami."

Didn't swick and okami fight and swick literally broke mentally cuz how.fucking strong he is?

That was awhile ago, when Swick was close to getting a title shot, how things change.

He's the most boring "star" in the UFC (to me / my opinion/ no fighter bashing)

edit: I relooked at his stats, and its no where near 90% but I'll stand by my original statement

Yeah. Hey, why isn't Mariusz Pudzianowski undefeated?

deep-thoughts.png

You're probably right. I always assume everyone is weak until they Arona-bomb someone.

solid response - when lots of fighters who have fought you mention that you are very strong, thats the compliment you're looking for

clearly hating fans, not so much - but the fighters who say hes strong, and his success - those things are what matters

Nothing tests MMA strength and stamina more than grappling against the cage. Fighters who train day-in and day-out keep saying this.

Okami is very grappling-strong, I'm pretty sure the reason they hype it actually comes from an opponent telling their corner that he was super strong during one of his early UFC fights.

Swick. He dropped to ww right after that loss.

Back