Is okami's strength overhyped?

DVN**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Everytime this guy fights i hear them saying how strong he is.

Are they saying he's physically strong? Or his grappling strong and stifling as in he's just good at grappling.

Because i havent seen great feats of strength like a rampage power bomb or him lifting opponents into the air for takedowns.

He has good control but that doesnt take brute strength as much as technique.

Anybody else think they just hype his strength. Like they dont really have much to say to hype him up. They say he's been a top 10 guy forever and ummm thats it. So they gotta say he's really strong or whatever.

Im not hatin', just saying i dont think he's much stronger than other MWs.

And he got manhandled by chael so i say his strength is overrated or just hype.

Sonnen has good technique, I think that's why he was able to control Okami like that.

You're probably right. I always assume everyone is weak until they Arona-bomb someone.

Sonnen was also incredibly strong at MW and had top level wrestling technique.

Okami is very grappling-strong, I'm pretty sure the reason they hype it actually comes from an opponent telling their corner that he was super strong during one of his early UFC fights.

And he got manhandled by chael so i say his strength is overrated or just hype.

Chael is probably the strongest MW.

I think they refer to Okami's grappling when they talk about his strength. Specifically his heavy top game and stifling clinch. I do think his size is a bit overstated. He's definitely one of the biggest MW but not the biggest

Didn't swick and okami fight and swick literally broke mentally cuz how.fucking strong he is?

You're probably right. I always assume everyone is weak until they Arona-bomb someone.

This made me chuckle.

Okami is strong and a great grappler. Lots of guys get recognition for takedowns but Okami takes guys down and they just don't get up. More importantly I will take the fighters words for how strong he is. 3 times guys have gone back to their corners during an Okami fight and said "Damn he's strong" or something similar. The best was Mike Swick who seemed genuinely in disbelief of how strong he was. Not many other fighters can I recall that happening to in fights.

Didn't swick and okami fight and swick literally broke mentally cuz how.fucking strong he is?

Yeah, you could hear Swick telling his corner between rounds how strong Okami is. I believe other fighters have commented along the same lines as well though I can't absolutely confirm it.

Yes. Everything is over hyped and overrated ... Everything.

You guys can stop asking now.

His size is, Anderson was noticably larger than him. Belcher as well. Actually, Okami has never been significantly bigger than anyone he's fought.

I do think his size is a bit overstated.

He's huge in Japan...

All joking aside I remember Randy Couture creaming his pants talking about how big Okami is. He assumed Okami was a LHW when he met him and then when he found out he was a MW it blew his mind and his load.

His size is, Anderson was noticably larger than him. Belcher as well. Actually, Okami has never been significantly bigger than anyone he's fought.

What are you talking about? The man is 6'2" and has a physique on him

He's huge in Japan...

All joking aside I remember Randy Couture creaming his pants talking about how big Okami is. He assumed Okami was a LHW when he met him and then when he found out he was a MW it blew his mind and his load.

Lol!

tumblr_m74ubvN71p1ry1rm7o1_250.gif

Did you watch the belcher fight? Watching Beecher struggle to get an undertook on okami should be evidence of how strong okami is.

Back