Is okami's strength overhyped?

yes it is overhyped. he is strong though.

Training in the pool with Chael has been paying off :wink:

IIRC it wasn't just one guy who said it, swick said it and one of the previous opponents also did.
Rich said it as well. And that was after a win. He isn't the type to just throw false praise. He kept harping on how suprisingly strong Okami was. Which was the same praise he gave anderson after the first fight.

Belcher's beastly strong and a very explosive MW.

20sya8o.jpg

Cote might not be a very large MW, but he's still a 200 pound man and Belcher was able to pick him up and slam him on the ground.

Now, while it's not entertaining, doing the kind of ground work that Okami did in that fight requires a lot of strength and stamina, regardless of how strong the opponent is. Belcher is a very strong MW-- he might not be as strong as Pal-yarehz or Lombard, or any of those other 5'7 musclebound MW tanks (but, then again, who at MW is stronger than those guys?), but he's still very strong-- as well as being very explosive, and Okami was still able to control him and stifle everything he did on the ground. Can you think of anyone that's been able to do that to Belcher? He got caught early in his career by a couple guys, but can you think of anyone that's been able to manhandle him (albeit in a cautious, not very entertaining manner) like Okami did?

anyone think that okami is actually an OFFENSIVE fighter that always move forward in the standup, which is why he cornered belcher a lot of times. Then he goes for the takedown, no wall and stall for okami. then on the ground okami always tries to improve position. he got full mount and side control on belcher. but the ref stood him up while in side control even though okami just landed 2 punches WTF

so bottom line, okami of today always:

-moves forwards in standup
-does NOT wall and stall. he goes for the takedown, judo trips, even though its RISKY judo trips that can have belcher landing on top on okami. Okami takes risks cuz he knows his ground game is good enough to get back up, even when belcher got full mount after okami's failed judo trip.
-okami always tries to improve position on the ground.

today's Okami's game plan is WAY MORE OFFENSIVE than the old okami that fought rich franklin, the old one lets the opponent come to him. But today okami is the one on the attack

Okami ragdolled Belcher TBH. He may not be very active with his GNP, but Belcher had nothing for him.

Okami is strong

Anderson was stronger. He completely shut down Okami's game. Unless it was due to Okami being starstruck and afraid like most of Silva's opponents.

Okami is a huge MW, is 6'2 and probalby walks around 205lbs-plus.

But I'd say strongest MW's are Sonnen, Silva, Boetsch, Philippou, and Okami is right up there in the top 5 as far as functional MMA strength is concerned.

Everytime this guy fights i hear them saying how strong he is.

Are they saying he's physically strong? Or his grappling strong and stifling as in he's just good at grappling.

Because i havent seen great feats of strength like a rampage power bomb or him lifting opponents into the air for takedowns.

He has good control but that doesnt take brute strength as much as technique.

Anybody else think they just hype his strength. Like they dont really have much to say to hype him up. They say he's been a top 10 guy forever and ummm thats it. So they gotta say he's really strong or whatever.

And he got manhandled by chael so i say his strength is overrated or just hype.

No that guy is extremely strong and he's not out there powerbombing everyone cause that's just stupid and zap's your gas.Okami has ridiculous strength it's clear to see and his technique and style are great for control.The guy's very strong I don't see how that could be disputed.Lmao he doesn't power bomb people :rolleyes:
Im not hatin', just saying i dont think he's much stronger than other MWs.

His size is, Anderson was noticably larger than him. Belcher as well. Actually, Okami has never been significantly bigger than anyone he's fought.

He was much bigger than nate marquardt

Sonnen was also incredibly strong at MW and had top level wrestling technique.

Okami is very grappling-strong, I'm pretty sure the reason they hype it actually comes from an opponent telling their corner that he was super strong during one of his early UFC fights.

mike swick said that when he fought okami. generally, everyone who fight Okami say the samething.

Okami ragdolled Belcher TBH. He may not be very active with his GNP, but Belcher had nothing for him.

Okami is strong

Okami did not ragdoll Belcher. His top game was better than Belcher's bottom game. For every clinch takedown that Okami tried, Belcher was able to reverse and land on top. Belcher actually showed a very strong base to be able to do that. His downfall was going for the guillotines and letting Okami on top.

If he's that strong, how come 90% of his fights are decisions?

He's the most boring "star" in the UFC (to me / my opinion/ no fighter bashing)

edit: I relooked at his stats, and its no where near 90% but I'll stand by my original statement

then GSP is more boring than Okami...shut up!

anyone think that okami is actually an OFFENSIVE fighter that always move forward in the standup, which is why he cornered belcher a lot of times. Then he goes for the takedown, no wall and stall for okami. then on the ground okami always tries to improve position. he got full mount and side control on belcher. but the ref stood him up while in side control even though okami just landed 2 punches WTF

so bottom line, okami of today always:

-moves forwards in standup
-does NOT wall and stall. he goes for the takedown, judo trips, even though its RISKY judo trips that can have belcher landing on top on okami. Okami takes risks cuz he knows his ground game is good enough to get back up, even when belcher got full mount after okami's failed judo trip.
-okami always tries to improve position on the ground.

today's Okami's game plan is WAY MORE OFFENSIVE than the old okami that fought rich franklin, the old one lets the opponent come to him. But today okami is the one on the attack

Lots of people talking about how "Belcher was owning Okami in the standup" but fail to recognize Okami's big straight right that landed in the second, or his overall striking that backed up Belcher EVERY time.

He is always improving. Now he has to improve is submission offense. Like Cain, Okami had a lot of opportunities to go for the sub without compromising position. I'm not going to say he could have subbed Alan, cuz he's a tough nut to crack, but the opportunities were there.

Okami did not ragdoll Belcher. His top game was better than Belcher's bottom game. For every clinch takedown that Okami tried, Belcher was able to reverse and land on top. Belcher actually showed a very strong base to be able to do that. His downfall was going for the guillotines and letting Okami on top.

Belcher was going down no matter what. It was just a matter of time. Alan's poor judgement just accelerated the process. Why anybody would think submission is the way to attack Okami is beyond me.

Also, what is this bs about Lombard vs. Okami next?
Lombard lost to Boetch who beat Okami.
Lombard beat Palhares, who got beat by Belcher.

The fight to make is Belcher vs. Lombard. Both are excellent strikers and both have decent ground games (Lombard's is actually pretty elite but not the stifling game that Okami has or the frightening kind that Palhares has).

Lombard vs. Belcher. Make it happen.

Aggressive stand-up Okami kind of died after the Boestch comeback. After his loss to Sonnen, he moved to Team Quest and got confident in his standup. He TKO'd Linhares, stood with Munoz (funky stand up, hits like a mac truck.), jabbed the hell out of Marquardt, and he was DESTROYING Boestch standing up. It was an unfortunate loss, but I liked seeing that Okami. I hope it comes back.

Aggressive stand-up Okami kind of died after the Boestch comeback. After his loss to Sonnen, he moved to Team Quest and got confident in his standup. He TKO'd Linhares, stood with Munoz (funky stand up, hits like a mac truck.), jabbed the hell out of Marquardt, and he was DESTROYING Boestch standing up. It was an unfortunate loss, but I liked seeing that Okami. I hope it comes back.

Its a shame because was owning Boetsch in the stand up in that fight like we've never seen before. That being said, he has to choose who to stand with and how to grapple.

Anderson: Grapple (he made the wrong choice in the rematch)
Boetsch: Both
Buddy: Grapple
Alan: Grapple
Lombard: Both (but more grappling) He has a 6" height and 7" reach advantage.

Man, if Okami learned how to throw a left hook, it would help his game immensely. He threw them against Linhares. He right jabs the hell out of people and throws that occasional very solid knee he has.

Back