Is my workout anygood?

You're kinda right I suppose. I should find out his goals first, but IMO thickbar for curls (cause he's going to do them no matter what I say), rows, and oly movements (thickbar high pull is great) as well as the more traditional uses like deadlifts, build good lower arm strength. Important regardless of the goal. And if you've got no problem holding onto the bar on an exercise, why not make it more difficult to do so and get some added grip workout in addition to the muscles you're already hitting?

Like bent over rows for example, many people can successfully use their rowing weight with a thickbar. this can apply to many different things and I really thing that grip strength is underappreciated by people new to lifting.

I'm not going to comment on all the other movements, but I strongly suggest that you don't do oly movements with a thickbar, the catch is near impossible (even I struggle and I have the proportions/wrist flexibility that I'm usually very comfortable in the catch with my hands fully around the bar) especially when learning, add to that the added load on your lower arms inevitably leads to the arms overtightening and the lift being muscled up, taking out all the speed and missing the whole point.

thx for all for your feedback guys.
my goals are
1. Get a nice body, and lower my body fat %
2. add strengh and explosiveness for my mma training that ill start soon.

So what i ve learned so far from this thread, is that
1. More compound exercises
2. less reps with more weight
am i right?
the 6 days a week i ve got no problem with. I dont feel that im overtraining.

Even though you don't feel like you're overtraining right now, as time goes on (probably another month or two) you'll begin to feel the effects (and possibly injuries). This will only get worse when you add in all the compound movements since they'll work you much better, remember that you don't get stronger from the time spent in the gym, you get stronger from the recovery when you're muscles have time to rebuild.

Alon said:
Even though you don't feel like you're overtraining right now, as time goes on (probably another month or two) you'll begin to feel the effects (and possibly injuries). This will only get worse when you add in all the compound movements since they'll work you much better, remember that you don't get stronger from the time spent in the gym, you get stronger from the recovery when you're muscles have time to rebuild.
i dont spend that much time actually.

like 7 hours a week. Is that too much? remember that i dont do anything else for the rest of the day... no mma or sports or anything. I just dont have the time yet

Butcher101 said:
i dont spend that much time actually.

like 7 hours a week. Is that too much? remember that i dont do anything else for the rest of the day... no mma or sports or anything. I just dont have the time yet
Hmm I'm surprised you can get that much done in 7 hours/week, why don't you try 4 days/week with at least two compound movements/training (and some support stuff) for a few weeks and see how it goes, I'm pretty sure you'll begin to see how much it will tire you out within 4 weeks.

I spend three hours a week lifting, including my strongman stuff. So, probably only 2 hours with real weights.

Also, I don't have any difficulties whatsoever moving around a thickbar. The catch IS a little different on cleans, but I can't say I've had any serious problems with it. Is that just something you've experienced or something you've noticed in other people alon?

Urban said:
I spend three hours a week lifting, including my strongman stuff. So, probably only 2 hours with real weights.

Also, I don't have any difficulties whatsoever moving around a thickbar. The catch IS a little different on cleans, but I can't say I've had any serious problems with it. Is that just something you've experienced or something you've noticed in other people alon?
Yes, pretty much everyone who I've seen try use a thickbar. Are you recieving the bar with elbows high, do you use a hook grip, how big are your hands (I know some oly lifters whose hands are borderline too small for the regular oly bar)?

Add to that I think it definitely adds to the arm pulling for the clean, post a video of your lifting and I can get a better idea of what's going on, I'm not saying that everyone has these problems but I think they're pretty likely.

I would love to post a vid of my clean for critique, however, I won't be cleaning anything besides my car for a while. Out with a slight back injury, however if you remind me in a month, I'd be more than happy to oblige, you can tell me how bad my form is and for what goals your reccomendations are biased for then. Really, I'd be grateful for the critique. But like I said, can't do it right now.

No problem, now lets stop hijacking Butcher's thread.

what are some good compound workout?
deadlifts, squats, bench
what else?

Butcher101 said:
deadlifts, squats, bench
what else?

Rows, overhead presses, pullups... think of stuff that uses a lot of parts.

And put in some ab work.

Stick to the basics, cut dwn on the isolation exercises. Your focus now is to build a good foundation so cut out all these crappy buildbuilding isolation exercises. Your focus is function first, form later on. IF you were a car, you should get your engine running well, your brakes working well, your steering wheel in check beore even thinking of a paintjob and magwheels. Sadly, many people think form before function which will set you up for injuries in the long run.

Evil Eye Gouger said:
...dips, pull-throughs, SLDL... just to add a few more.

Yup, now we're talkin'.

I'm not writing up a whole routine, but you (Butcher101) can find a lot of nice routines to improvise from right here in the logs, and it's good for you to look them over.

There's some decent explanations as to why these changes should be made here, and I'll add in my expanded two cents soon. I'm going to start my new workout soon, and will devote more time to S&P.

For now, suffice it to say that the few suggestions here will make your workout more effective.

Butcher101 said:
deadlifts, squats, bench
what else?

Check your PM box.

FATKID said:
Check your PM box.

Not to sound like an old school teacher, but If you have anything worthwhile to say, you should share it with all of us.

sooo... uhh... you read the stickies right? I mean, you DID check those before you asked for compound movments, right? cause it seems to me like you would know what a compound movement was and what exercises qualified if you had read them...

Back