Is my workout anygood?

B

Butcher101**

hey guys, i just wanted to hear your opinions on the workout i've been fallowin for the last 2 weeks.
It is a 6 day work out and this is how it goes:

Day 1:
Shoulder presses 3x8
incline dumbell press 3x8
shoulder shrugs 3x8
Lat raises 3x8
consentration curls 3x8
standing alternating curls 3x8
trisep press down 3x8
lying trisept extention 3x8

Day 2:
squats 3x8
seated leg presses 3x8
standing calf raises 3x8
lying leg curls 3x8
leg extention 3x8

Day 3:

Flat bench press 3x8
incline bench press 3x8
one arm rows 3x8
flat flys 3x8

day 4: same as day 1
day 5: same as day 2
day 6: same as day 3

I also run on treadmill 2-3 hours a week. usually something like 30-40 minutes a day, 4 times a week.
my chest and back workout is kinda easy as you can see... but thats only cause benching makes me hurt like hell. Im planning to add dips and chin ups real soon. Im kinda new to the whole working out in the gym. Only 2 months seriously... a total of 4-5 months now.
again thx for your time.

I'll give you the nice answer, no. Read the stickies, and if you have, read them again.

It isn't so bad, just lower the reps a bit, I'd only train maximum 4 days/week, add in deadlifts, drop one of the curls and you're doing pretty good.

Personally I prefer to focus my training on two compound movements, then some support stuff.

PS. What do you mean by your chest hurts like hell? Keep in mind that training so hard that you tear something, have to take time off and then when you finally come back you're not as strong as before is a very bad idea!!!

go kill yourself............j/k

On a more serious note, the routine is pretty shitty. Cut out all that direct bicep and tricep work and switch over to big compound movements like DEADLIFTS, HEAVY SQUATTING, and of course heavy benching. Also lower your rep range and work with heavier weight, also i only reccommend training each muscle group once a week so you dont overtrain...

Too many exercises.

Cut the fat.

the sets are fine i ve done it for 2 weeks and im fine... i feel that i ve gained some muscle from it. Added to my lifts quite a bit.

ill cut the reps. thx guys.

one dude told me to take 1 day break after each three days. So i ll do 6 days in first week and 5 days in week 2.

Since you're new I'm going to guess that ANYTHING you do in the gym is going to get you results. As your attourney I advise against going 6 days a week and spending a lot of time in the gym because (asside from injuries and over training) you're going to burnout and not want to go. then you'll not want to go the next day and begin rationalizing your excuses. 3 days a week for right now.

First, if you haven't read the stickies, do so now, then come back to this post. Check out carnal's thread on lifting, check out my web page, and use the glossary for terms you don't understand. do that now and come back.

Next, I've found that 80% of my results come from 20% of my lifts. Find that 20%, cut the shit and restructure your routine around those exercises. you won't beleive this until you experience it yourself cause you're probably so wrapped up in a "more is better" mindset that you need a colon cleansing to find your cranium. That's alright though, it's normal. If you give it a shot and take it on faith that I'm right about this, you'll be better off in the long run.

now, about structuring your routine around key exercises, I gotta tell you, curls and isolated tricep work aren't going to do nearly as much to improve your lifts as pullups or rows and close grip bench or dips. Stick to compound movements WHEREVER POSSIBLE (it's always possible). get rid of the isolation work, learn to deadlift, invest in a thickbar to degay some movements, separate your cardio from your lifting, do some interval training twice a week (on non-lifting days) instead of that pussy jogging, and call it done.

What exactly are your goals anyways?

Urban said:
Since you're new I'm going to guess that ANYTHING you do in the gym is going to get you results. As your attourney I advise against going 6 days a week and spending a lot of time in the gym because (asside from injuries and over training) you're going to burnout and not want to go. then you'll not want to go the next day and begin rationalizing your excuses. 3 days a week for right now.

First, if you haven't read the stickies, do so now, then come back to this post. Check out carnal's thread on lifting, check out my web page, and use the glossary for terms you don't understand. do that now and come back.

Next, I've found that 80% of my results come from 20% of my lifts. Find that 20%, cut the shit and restructure your routine around those exercises. you won't beleive this until you experience it yourself cause you're probably so wrapped up in a "more is better" mindset that you need a colon cleansing to find your cranium. That's alright though, it's normal. If you give it a shot and take it on faith that I'm right about this, you'll be better off in the long run.

now, about structuring your routine around key exercises, I gotta tell you, curls and isolated tricep work aren't going to do nearly as much to improve your lifts as pullups or rows and close grip bench or dips. Stick to compound movements WHEREVER POSSIBLE (it's always possible). get rid of the isolation work, learn to deadlift, invest in a thickbar to degay some movements, separate your cardio from your lifting, do some interval training twice a week (on non-lifting days) instead of that pussy jogging, and call it done.

What exactly are your goals anyways?

Listen to the man.

You are gonna head for a burnout dude.

not unheard of though. 394 posts in the training forums in a month... THAT's crazy.

I've seen better workouts in Muscle and Fitness. Throw in a bunch of crunches and you've got a beach boy routine. Scrap it immediately.

Think compound exercises, less volume, more leg and core work.

cockysprinter said:
dont worry alon, weightlifting still pwnz powerlifting.
Oh I'm not talking about that, in many ways powerlifting is a much better sport, this is about the whole "COCK DIESEL GAY HANDS" crap, it just seems pointless to place all this emphasis on something which Butcher doesn't seem to care about - not everyone would prefer a good grip over actually lifting more.

Oh and Urban I hope you're not doing your military presses with the thickbar, it just makes things akward and IMO leads to wrist problems.

I agree with the other aim of the philosophy (push yourself you weak little bastard), but I think it's retarded to make equipment suggestions like that without some sort of reasoning.

Back