Is my workout anygood?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Butcher101**, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Butcher101**

Butcher101** Guest

hey guys, i just wanted to hear your opinions on the workout i've been fallowin for the last 2 weeks.
    It is a 6 day work out and this is how it goes:

Day 1:
    Shoulder presses 3x8
    incline dumbell press 3x8
    shoulder shrugs 3x8
    Lat raises 3x8
    consentration curls 3x8
    standing alternating curls 3x8
    trisep press down 3x8
    lying trisept extention 3x8

Day 2:
    squats 3x8
    seated leg presses 3x8
    standing calf raises 3x8
    lying leg curls 3x8
    leg extention 3x8

Day 3:

Flat bench press 3x8
    incline bench press 3x8
    one arm rows 3x8
    flat flys 3x8

day 4: same as day 1
    day 5: same as day 2
    day 6: same as day 3

I also run on treadmill 2-3 hours a week. usually something like 30-40 minutes a day, 4 times a week.
    my chest and back workout is kinda easy as you can see... but thats only cause benching makes me hurt like hell. Im planning to add dips and chin ups real soon. Im kinda new to the whole working out in the gym. Only 2 months seriously... a total of 4-5 months now.
    again thx for your time.

2. This should be fun to watch...

3. gruesome

gruesome Green Belt

I'll give you the nice answer, no. Read the stickies, and if you have, read them again.

4. Alon

Alon Purple Belt

It isn't so bad, just lower the reps a bit, I'd only train maximum 4 days/week, add in deadlifts, drop one of the curls and you're doing pretty good.

Personally I prefer to focus my training on two compound movements, then some support stuff.

PS. What do you mean by your chest hurts like hell? Keep in mind that training so hard that you tear something, have to take time off and then when you finally come back you're not as strong as before is a very bad idea!!!

5. Ted-P

Ted-P Brown Belt

lift 3 or 4 days at max.

6. Squabbin

Squabbin White Belt

go kill yourself............j/k

On a more serious note, the routine is pretty shitty. Cut out all that direct bicep and tricep work and switch over to big compound movements like DEADLIFTS, HEAVY SQUATTING, and of course heavy benching. Also lower your rep range and work with heavier weight, also i only reccommend training each muscle group once a week so you dont overtrain...

7. Ted-P

Ted-P Brown Belt

Too many exercises.

Cut the fat.

8. Butcher101**

Butcher101** Guest

the sets are fine i ve done it for 2 weeks and im fine... i feel that i ve gained some muscle from it. Added to my lifts quite a bit.

ill cut the reps. thx guys.

9. Butcher101**

Butcher101** Guest

one dude told me to take 1 day break after each three days. So i ll do 6 days in first week and 5 days in week 2.

10. Urban

Urban Savage Mystic

Since you're new I'm going to guess that ANYTHING you do in the gym is going to get you results. As your attourney I advise against going 6 days a week and spending a lot of time in the gym because (asside from injuries and over training) you're going to burnout and not want to go. then you'll not want to go the next day and begin rationalizing your excuses. 3 days a week for right now.

First, if you haven't read the stickies, do so now, then come back to this post. Check out carnal's thread on lifting, check out my web page, and use the glossary for terms you don't understand. do that now and come back.

Next, I've found that 80% of my results come from 20% of my lifts. Find that 20%, cut the shit and restructure your routine around those exercises. you won't beleive this until you experience it yourself cause you're probably so wrapped up in a "more is better" mindset that you need a colon cleansing to find your cranium. That's alright though, it's normal. If you give it a shot and take it on faith that I'm right about this, you'll be better off in the long run.

now, about structuring your routine around key exercises, I gotta tell you, curls and isolated tricep work aren't going to do nearly as much to improve your lifts as pullups or rows and close grip bench or dips. Stick to compound movements WHEREVER POSSIBLE (it's always possible). get rid of the isolation work, learn to deadlift, invest in a thickbar to degay some movements, separate your cardio from your lifting, do some interval training twice a week (on non-lifting days) instead of that pussy jogging, and call it done.

What exactly are your goals anyways?

11. Ted-P

Ted-P Brown Belt

Listen to the man.

You are gonna head for a burnout dude.

12. neosamurai1979

neosamurai1979 Blue Belt

Enough about his workout...394 posts in a month??? That's crazy right there!

13. Urban

Urban Savage Mystic

not unheard of though. 394 posts in the training forums in a month... THAT's crazy.

14. Alon

Alon Purple Belt

Why?

15. Cmart

Cmart Aspiring Milo

I've seen better workouts in Muscle and Fitness. Throw in a bunch of crunches and you've got a beach boy routine. Scrap it immediately.

Think compound exercises, less volume, more leg and core work.

16. cockysprinter

cockysprinter Purple Belt

dont worry alon, weightlifting still pwnz powerlifting.

17. joe broadway

joe broadway Unbeatable

if i say "no comment" am i still making a comment?

18. Alon

Alon Purple Belt

Oh I'm not talking about that, in many ways powerlifting is a much better sport, this is about the whole "COCK DIESEL GAY HANDS" crap, it just seems pointless to place all this emphasis on something which Butcher doesn't seem to care about - not everyone would prefer a good grip over actually lifting more.

Oh and Urban I hope you're not doing your military presses with the thickbar, it just makes things akward and IMO leads to wrist problems.

I agree with the other aim of the philosophy (push yourself you weak little bastard), but I think it's retarded to make equipment suggestions like that without some sort of reasoning.

19. CarnalSalvation

CarnalSalvation Trying to make a Milankey

*screams like a girl and covers my eyes*

20. joe broadway

joe broadway Unbeatable

smiles like a baby and pisses my pants