Is my little brother getting screwed by his co-workers?

I delivered pizza in highschool and for about a year after and never heard of anything like this. I would never agree to it. Firstly, delivery guys make less than minimum wage and the "inside" guys do not. I somewhat understand the logic because after tips delivery guys generally make way more than the guy who works around minimum wage, but I would lie like a mofo about my tips before I handed them out to dudes answering the phone. If you want tip money, deliver the pizzas, a million times better than working inside anyway.

You gave terrible advice and he should tip the kitchen.

Your same argument could be used by us customers to not tip your brother.

But we tip in this society, and at your brother's job they share with the kitchen. So quit being obstinate buttholes and tip the kitchen
It really depends on what the pay situation is like, and this is not a normal setup. If he makes less than minimum there's no way he should be sharing tips. IF he doesn't it's still sketchy. Bartenders tip out, but they make a hell of a lot more in tips than delivery guys.

call it selfish if you want, but your number 1 priority at work is looking after yourself. If you don't no one else will.
As far as I'm aware you guys in the US get paid really shit wages for this sort of thing, so if you get tips, take them.
Just had a look at your wages and it said $7.60 an hour. That shouldn't even be legal

Last edited:
When I worked at a pizza place we never expected the drivers to tip us out. That said, this was 17 years ago and if the manager is having every driver do it, your brother isn't really getting screwed so much as they are just implementing a bad policy. Fortunately, delivering pizzas is a skill that is easily transferable to other pizza places, of which there are plenty in every town.

I did deliveries a couple of hours a week each Friday a long time ago, I had Fridays open and a friend of mine had a kitchen that made and delivered lunches to companies. Fridays were super busy and I made INSANE tips. Orders were often around $100 and I'd get a $20 tip for delivering a box of lunches. It made no sense to me. I had days where I made a couple hundred dollars in tips in two hours.

But we tip in this society, and at your brother's job they share with the kitchen. So quit being obstinate buttholes and tip the kitchen

Fuck the kitchen. Its the managers job to pay his kitchen staff more.

I did deliveries a couple of hours a week each Friday a long time ago, I had Fridays open and a friend of mine had a kitchen that made and delivered lunches to companies. Fridays were super busy and I made INSANE tips. Orders were often around $100 and I'd get a $20 tip for delivering a box of lunches. It made no sense to me. I had days where I made a couple hundred dollars in tips in two hours.

Have you heard my story of how I spent a couple weeks as a pizza deliverator in an NSX?

i worked at a pizza place for 2 years back between 2000-2002. I did every job there including phones, register, cooking, and plenty of delivering. Drivers never tipped the other staff. We got paid min wage plus 1$ per delivery plus got to keep all our tips. Considering the amount of wear and tear on your car and gas that doesnt leave room to be dishing out the tips. Your bro's situation might be a little different in that he doesnt have to use own vehicle or gas though.

I would say this, did your bro get told from day 1 that they would be splitting the tips with other staff? If so tell him to fork some up. If that was not what he was told from the get go and they are now trying to switch it up on him, i would tell the manager to eat a dick. Also, cooking and making pizzas and dealing with in store customers is no easier or better then having to drive and deliver. Both have their good and bad. Personally i loved delivering, driving around and listening to music >>> greater then doing same shit over and over for hours while the clock runs slow as hell. But then again i wasnt on a moped. So dont play the you have it rough angle, just be straight up it's my money and i want to keep my money. If you dont like that then change your policy in writing and make it official not some gray area thats up for interpretation.

is there a dining room?

It all depends on the attitude.

Once I ordered pizza and decided to leave a $2 tip for the guy, he was like a Luiz Guzman looking motherfucker. Asshole should've been grateful but he gave me attitude and said "ugh thanks asshole" and at this point I was livid and told him "this is the last time i'm ordering from here" then he said I wasn't welcome anymore. So I turned around and he was probably thinking that I was gonna walk away but I just took a few steps back to build up momentum for my flying knee. I managed to connect and knocked him out cold. But two other guys working there attacked me, one looked like Tank Abott while the other guy looked like a methed out Joe Silva mixed with a chihuahua. They were swarming me but I managed to slip some punches and did damage but they backed me up into a corner and the little Joe Silva weasel knocked me out with some brass knuckles. They threw me out of the joint and when I came to I took my phone out and called my good friend Nicolas Cage and told him to bring back up.

I waited for a few minutes and I see this 1935 one of a kind Rolls-Royce Phantom pull up. Out comes Nicolas Cage, Samuel L. Jackson, Garey Busey and Wesley Snipes. I explained to them the situation and they agreed that it was time for payback. I walk in the joint and the guy I KO'd screams out "IT"S HIM!" then comes out the poor man's Tank Abott thinking he's gonna beat me up, but his face soon turned to a look of horror as the batshit insane Gary Busey lunged at him, knocked him out with his shoe and dragged him out (Busey disappeared for the night). Next up is Wesley Snipes who starts knocking out the other employees left and right. Samuel L. Jackson shows up and says "motherfucker I have some uppercuts for you" and knocks out the pseudo - Luiz Guzman. Finally Nicolas Cage shows up and out from the back comes out the little Joe Silva guy. Nicolas Cage says to him "you don't know pain till you've met me" and starts landing bombs while counting them out loud "and ugh 1 and ugh 2 and 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and then 8!" screams out Nicolas Cage as the little Joe Silva looking bastard drops to the floor like a sack of shit. I took my $2 back and gave them a 1 star rating on Yelp for good measure. After that me, Cage, Snips and Jackson went out for some drinks and cocaine.

drive a mile get 2 dollars, drive 10 miles get 2 dollars, screw that

if they're already putting pressure on the kid, he better start looking for a new job

This guy works in the kitchen.

Great, it would be a nice change. I am visiting for three weeks at the end of the month, Melbourne->Sydney->Goaldcoast->Melbourne is the plan. Is there any other place you'd recommend?

Back