Is my little brother getting screwed by his co-workers?

tell him he's not there to make friends, he's there to make benjamins.

No the fucking goofy cooks who are spitting in your pizza don't get a cut of the delivery drivers tips, what a stupid thing for the manager to suggest, way to alienate your staff you fucking moron.

Does his butt hurt?

Ask him, if he says yes then you'll know he's being screwed by his co-workers.

Another thread about tipping. Great.

Well at least it's not the standard "do you tip?" thread.

Somebody was asking for advice about an uncommon practice, that I honestly have never heard of at a pizza store before. In most states owners get away with paying people who earn tips with a lower minimum wage. Just picked a state at random, and in New York the min wage is 9.00/hr, but if the worker is in the food service industry and making 1.50/hr in tips it's 7.50. It don't think it's unreasonable (actually I'd bet on it) to think the manager is trying to both keep the cooks happy because they are paying them shit without paying out of pocket, while also getting the cooks down to a server's wage bracket to save a few bucks by proving they are making enough in tips (if applicable). I really don't see why certain industries are privy to subsidized taxpayer labour below the standard minimum wage levels. It's not like restaurant and bar owners are going bankrupt and need the handouts.

If the OPs brother notices he's getting all the shit deliveries, single pizza orders on a 30-40 minute drive, it's time to just get out and find another store to work at. The cooks are already in bed with some of the drivers who are tipping them, and they aren't going to change unless he starts tipping them more. The cooks are just looking out for themselves because they work in a pizza store with shitty owners/managers, and it's easier for them to just bully or bribe tips by giving the good deliveries to people they know will tip them than it is to find a new job that doesn't treat their employees like shit.

Absolutely not share tips. If the cooks want tips, deliver the pies.

I dont remember the last time I ordered a pizza, I usually just pick it up on my way home or buy one of those take and bake type of pizzas from Sams. Can't believe people still pay for delivery, Why pay extra for something that's already overpriced for the amount of food you're getting?

Tipping is one of the most assinine aspects of day to day American living and is one of the things I look forward to the least whenever I go back stateside.

And here is the thing - the American service industry is poorer in quality than in non-tipping cultures.

Basically you're required to bribe people to doing their jobs. And you're allowing the bosses at the restaurant to pay their employees the absolute minimum that they're required to do so.

This is total horseshit. This is just a cheapass owner trying to pass along his labor costs to kids who are just getting by.

His in a tough spot though...i would recommend being straight up with the manager and telling him its not a standard practice, its not fair, and im not going to participate. If he knew that was the setup when he got hired than that's his bad.

I don't mind paying whatever things and services should cost, but this system is insane, especially the percentage consideration. Are expensive foods heavier? Do they require more skill to carry? Did you get special training to bring me my foie gras that you didn't need to bring me a hot dog?

My gripe with the whole tipping system is what designates who should get tipped and who shouldn't? By default I am supposed to tip my waiter even though they don't particularly provide me any unique service I couldn't do myself. I can take my own order, pick up my own food, fill up my own water. The job requires very little skill, I would know I used to work in a nice restaurant. Delivery guy I have no problem tipping because they're saving me time/effort. Do I tip my dentist? When he does an awesome job on my root canal and saves my tooth? Or the guy who does my oil change, when the 30 minutes oil change takes 28 minutes...? I mean what designates who should get tips? It's certainly not pay because in California there's something called minimum wage and no one can work for less than that, unlike in some other states. In those states it makes sense for tipping because it subsidizes the shitty wages those workers are paid. But in California it doesn't really make any sense, those restaurant workers are making stupid amounts of money for minimum amount of work especially if you're at some expensive restaurant. I have been to Japan where there is no tipping, it's frowned upon and yet I get fucking amazing service there. I was blown away, this person has zero incentive to perform well yet they're crushing it. Go anywhere in Japan from the shitty 24 hour convenience store, McDonalds, Starbucks, fancy sushi restaurant you'll get the same high quality customer services everywhere.

Manager sounds like a dick. Delivery guys should always keep their own tips because typically they're driving their own vehicle, pay their own gas and insurance, car wear/tear/maintenance, potential danger and they have to drive around deal with a bunch of dumbasses like idiot stoners trying to pay you in weed. Which would be great if I was a degenerate loser living off my parents money but shit monica I got bills to pay.

If the manager wants you to split your delivery tips ask those guys to help pay for your gas, mileage, oil changes, tuneups, new tires, brakes, insurance, etc., otherwise fuck that you're better off driving for Uber or Lyft.

Nah fuck that. Tell your bro to keep his tips. If the pizza-toppers have a problem with money, they need to talk to the boss man

Back