Is my little brother getting screwed by his co-workers?

phoenixikki

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
My little brother works in the weekends as a pizza-delivery guy. A couple of weeks ago he asked for advice. Apparently after a meeting the manager said that delivery-men could give a small share of their tips for the people who work in the kitchen. He asked me what I would do in his shoes. I said that cooks don´t have to work outside when it´s raining, snowing or hot as fuck. Besides they don´t really "cook" in the pizza place where my bro works, they simply put the ingredients on the pizza which is already done, all they have to do is to arrange the right ingredients and put it in the oven, they don´t even have to look for it because it´s a industrial oven. I said to him that driving entails much more responsibility, he can get hurt really hurt if he gets involved in an accident (they drive scooters so he´s probably getting much more hurt than the another person) and he had to invest money to get a driving license whereas a "cook" didn´t have to invest shit. He said that he agreed with me. So he goes to work like usual and in the and of the day he keeps his tips to himself, he starts to get upset looks from the the shift leads who collect the money and are also cooks. Today the manager was to collect the money (my brother said that he never does this) and when my brother gave the exact sum the manager said: Hmm, don´t forget about the people in the kitchen, they helped you out too! My bro just smirks and says next time.
Do you think he has to give a share of his tips? Or should he say screw it and pretends nothing happened? Was my advice correct?

I used to deliver and I wouldnt give a dime of my tips. The insiders dont have to change oil get breaks or get stiffed all day to the point where a day of work actually cost you money . its not like a waitress where all i had to do is walk across a room to give someone an order it costs money to deliver a pizza.

So Phoenixkki is a pizza delivery guy

Good for you

I'd be telling them to pound sand. Like Gutter said, delivery drivers have to pay for their vehicles, maintenance, fuel, insurance etc and usually rely on tips for the majority of their pay unlike the cooks. Easier to fill the position too, you don't need a drivers license and your own vehicle to warm up a pizza.

Just based off the title..

Can he sit without grimacing?

So Phoenixkki is a pizza delivery guy

Good for you

giphy.gif

Pizza at your front door?
The man is doing god's work.

Keep it up TS.

I'd be telling them to pound sand. Like Gutter said, delivery drivers have to pay for their vehicles, maintenance, fuel, insurance etc and usually rely on tips for the majority of their pay unlike the cooks. Easier to fill the position too, you don't need a drivers license and your own vehicle to warm up a pizza.

TS said the company provides scooters for them to drive.

To be fair, your bro doesn't do shit either. He rides around on a provided scooter.

If the "cooks" wanted tips, then they should get a job where you get tips.

If I pick up a pizza I don't tip. I'm not tipping topping jockeys. If I get a pizza delivered, I tip. Because the guy brought my food to my house.

Yet another reason tipping is stupid.

what do the other delivery people do? if they all tip the kitchen (not saying whether they should or shouldn't), i can see why everyone else would be upset if he's the only one not doing what everyone else is doing. or they could simply be trying to stiff your brother, as i would imagine he's young.

What is his hourly?

Manager/owner probably doesnt wish to increase salary for his cooks.

When i was a delivery driver last year (was helping out a business partner during the week). I tipped out at the end of the day to the cooks.

Manager sounds like a dick. Probably pays his cooks shit so he's trying to play some divide and conquer tactics; get the cooks angry at the driver instead of angry at the boss.

tipping in the united states is 90% retarded. an argument for tipping delivery drivers can be made. i dont see how tipping the cooks in a take-out type pizza shop could make any sense. my opinion is different on actual restaurants. and my opinion on how the entire system SHOULD be is completely different as well.

if they want to pay the back of the house more, they should pay the back of the house more. furthermore, someone in a supervisor position pressuring someone to contribute voluntary tip is illegal.

Never ever heard of a system like this being set up in a pizza place. The cheap ass owner doesn't want to give anyone raises, so he's having the drivers share their tip with the kitchen staff. This is not standard for the industry. At the same time with a clearly mandatory "voluntary" system in place and your brother not contributing, he's going to get screwed one way or another on this through politics. I'd say he should find a different job if he doesn't want to share tips. Everyone will end up hating him and trying to make his life miserable.

TS said the company provides scooters for them to drive.

To be fair, your bro doesn't do shit either. He rides around on a provided scooter.
On the other hand, he risks his life riding a scooter vs a car. Fuck this pizza company. Your brother should not give up any loot and look for a better job.

You gave terrible advice and he should tip the kitchen.

Your same argument could be used by us customers to not tip your brother.

But we tip in this society, and at your brother's job they share with the kitchen. So quit being obstinate buttholes and tip the kitchen

Yet another reason tipping is stupid.

Tipping is one of the most assinine aspects of day to day American living and is one of the things I look forward to the least whenever I go back stateside.

And here is the thing - the American service industry is poorer in quality than in non-tipping cultures.

Tipping is one of the most assinine aspects of day to day American living and is one of the things I look forward to the least whenever I go back stateside.

And here is the thing - the American service industry is poorer in quality than in non-tipping cultures.

I don't mind paying whatever things and services should cost, but this system is insane, especially the percentage consideration. Are expensive foods heavier? Do they require more skill to carry? Did you get special training to bring me my foie gras that you didn't need to bring me a hot dog?

I use to deliver pizzas. I started trying to tip out the hard working cooks/managers, but it just doesn't work. If you don't give equally it gets messy, and I sure as shit didn't make enough to split 10+ ways. Have since left, and in hindsight that alone caused so much friction and bad feelings between co-workers it's ridiculous.

Really depends on the pay scale. Tipping for people who earn below minimum wage is standard. Cooks are not one of the industries where that is legally acceptable (at least where I am). So if your brother and the cooks make equal wages there could be an argument for it, similar how bar tenders have to tip out the bus boys. If he gets paid below scale or gets paid by the delivery, then fuck them.

Back