Is mma in Canada dying?

Is Canadian mma dying?

• Total voters
I swear the UFC leaving Spike was the start of UFC decline. I have friends who still watch though. Don't care who doesn't.

I think it's in decline because no where near the amount of bars will host events, at least in Calgary. I'd hate to blame it on the natives, but every watress or manager I've talked to about the events have said natives stir up too much shit. So I'll blame it on natives :)

as a canadien, most canadiens hate taking risk and just stay in there confort zone and alot of pussies who think all ko's are brutal and a near death experience
as a Canadian, you are an idiot and shouldn't speak for Canadians ...

The big networks were no help because you need to purchase a sports package before you can even watch some of the free events....

You're right about that. A few years back it was great when it was on Sportsnet. I remember a couple of events that were in Europe that were played on a delay (9 PM) in the States, but we had it live at 3 PM on Sportsnet.

Now that it's on TSN, most of the events shown are on channel 498 (a cable package channel) while the regular TSN channel is showing curling, or minor hockey or something even worse. You don't even see promos for the upcoming events on TSN that TSN is friggin' airing !! I'll bet the UFC is regretting going with TSN instead of Sportsnet.

DW has always said that Canada is one of the UFC's best per capita markets, but if they take the market for granted, it's going to suffer eventually. Losing GSP as a headliner hasn't helped either. If he comes back, they'll sell 50,000 seats at the Rogers Centre easily.

Yeah it's on the decline, Canadians prefer hockey....and I don't blame them, I'm going to see an NHL hockey game on Thursday.

Meh, it's died down but as a Canadian I will always be a die hard fan until I die.

Ugh no. MMA is thriving in The Great White North.

We have many young and upcoming fighters.

There is three different gyms in my region alone and multiple amateur and pro fighters coming out of my region.

Matt Dimarcantonio, a prominent figure here in the MMA scene. Fights KrazyHorse and there is a billboard advertising such fights.

I hope not. you canucks have done so much for the sport, and given the rest of us so many great fighters.

as a canadien, most canadiens hate taking risk and just stay in there confort zone and alot of pussies who think all ko's are brutal and a near death experience

You're not a Canadian, you are a Quebecor, quit pretending.

Last edited:
MMA died in Canada ever since TJ Grant went into a coma.

Fighting is slowly being removed from hockey so it makes sense few Canadians are becoming fighters. :p

Definitely declining, but that doesn't bother me at all.

As a Canadian I say hell yes it's dying compared to a few years ago. I don't know how MMA gyms are doing but as a fan I can tell you that it's harder and harder to find bars that show the events. And the ones that do aren't nearly as busy as they were.

Also, I don`t know a single person who seriously follows MMA. That's just my experience though, so on its own it doesn't mean shit.

As a Canadian, I second this. Everything he said is true. I also don't know a single person who seriously follows MMA.

As a Canadian, I second this. Everything he said is true. I also don't know a single person who seriously follows MMA.

You obviously don't follow the MMA scene enough in Canada because it's thriving and we have many many young fighters coming up.

I know a guy who just won his first amateur belt in Ohio.

You're not looking hard enough and you're generalizing.

I think it's in decline because no where near the amount of bars will host events, at least in Calgary. I'd hate to blame it on the natives, but every watress or manager I've talked to about the events have said natives stir up too much shit. So I'll blame it on natives :)

A lot of bars do not want to show anything other than Hockey Night in Canada during the Nhl season, and who can blame them.

You obviously don't follow the MMA scene enough in Canada because it's thriving and we have many many young fighters coming up.

I know a guy who just won his first amateur belt in Ohio.

You're not looking hard enough and you're generalizing.

We continue to produce fighters, but it is still in decline, as you now have to look harder than ever.

There're more people in a Chinese city than half of Canada, why would the UFC care about Canada now there're no big PPV stars, no champions and no $$$ to be had? They should use that time to find a Chinese guy who can actually fight. Chinese champion defending title against Japanese challenger = 3x super bowl TV ratings minimum. You'll fill 100k seat stadiums in seconds without even advertising that stuff. Slap some blue chip Chinese sponsors on that guy and you're talking more money in one fight than they'll ever make in Canada in ten years. Canadians can go back to their hockey and curling.

Of course, you gotta find a Chinese guy who can fight first.

Back