Is mma in Canada dying?

Is Canadian mma dying?

• Total voters

tfcfights

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
It's a simple I just don't see the ufc doing the business in Canada that they used to. I mean shouldn't the ufc be trying to save that market? Any Canadians that can fill us in on how the sport is viewed, local promotions, interest level, amount of schools? Why has the ufc quit on a market that was booming

Has been for a while actually.

I don't think it's a GSP thing. MMA is no longer the new and cool thing like it was 5-10 years ago. Now casuals only care about a few big names otherwise they won't watch. The same happened in Japan, the same will happen everywhere.

MMA is not even popular in USA despite Ronda being the new Amy Schumer.

as a canadien, most canadiens hate taking risk and just stay in there confort zone and alot of pussies who think all ko's are brutal and a near death experience

Been going downhill last few years.

Used to be an annual PPV in Toronto.

That stopped 3 years ago.

The last Montreal show was pitiful. Barely sold any tickets, so day of the show they blocked out the upper bowl.

When GSP was doing his thing, Bell Centre draws 20,000 no problem.

A lot of people are fans of Rory obviously, and Conor.

I don't have the best idea but it definitely didn't help that gsp left. The bars in my small town are filling up when ppvs take place which is a good sign.

It's not like it's huge here though, they need to have more quality ppvs in Vancouver and Toronto.

nope...
tumblr_ns3n7pXuv61s3mh3po1_1280.jpg

The big networks were no help because you need to purchase a sports package before you can even watch some of the free events....

as a canadien, most canadiens hate taking risk and just stay in there confort zone and alot of pussies who think all ko's are brutal and a near death experience

Can confirm this isn't true.

Been going downhill last few years.

Used to be an annual PPV in Toronto.

That stopped 3 years ago.

The last Montreal show was pitiful. Barely sold any tickets, so day of the show they blocked out the upper bowl.

When GSP was doing his thing, Bell Centre draws 20,000 no problem.

If Rory's next title shot is in Montreal it will sell out.

I love your enthusiasm, but I don't see it.

Rory is not known as a big draw anywhere, let alone Canada.
After watching Rory vs Lawler how can it not be? Canadians love those crappy hockey fights. How can they not be completely stoked for the Red King?

UFC pretty much just holds PPV in the west coast and Brazil nowadays.

Are you kidding buddeh? It's as popular as Kraft dinna!

a little bit, the posterboy of mma in canada took a break so yes...

After watching Rory vs Lawler how can it not be? Canadians love those crappy hockey fights. How can they not be completely stoked for the Red King?

Brother, I'm with you. That was one of the best fights I've ever seen.

Canadians just stopped caring that much when GSP left.

Almost every Canadian knew who GSP was. Almost a national hero. I bet if I stopped 100 random Canadians and asked them who Rory is...maybe 1 might know.

That said, big Rory fan here. Like watching him fight more than I do watching GSP.

I hope I'm wrong, love to see Rory get that title shot in Canada.

As a Canadian I say hell yes it's dying compared to a few years ago. I don't know how MMA gyms are doing but as a fan I can tell you that it's harder and harder to find bars that show the events. And the ones that do aren't nearly as busy as they were.

Also, I don`t know a single person who seriously follows MMA. That's just my experience though, so on its own it doesn't mean shit.

Back