Is mma in Canada dying?

Is Canadian mma dying?

• Total voters
You obviously don't follow the MMA scene enough in Canada because it's thriving and we have many many young fighters coming up.

I know a guy who just won his first amateur belt in Ohio.

You're not looking hard enough and you're generalizing.

Well, I was agreeing with that other guy on the fact that its getting harder to find bars to watch fights at and that when they do show the events, its never packed like it used to be. And like the other guy, I dont know anyone who follows MMA. My point is it seems like the interest isn't what it used to be.

We continue to produce fighters, but it is still in decline, as you now have to look harder than ever.

Not really, I can count 5 bars who played Hendricks vs Wonderboy alone.

You don't have to look harder than ever, you're just not looking.

Well, I was agreeing with that other guy on the fact that its getting harder to find bars to watch fights at and that when they do show the events, its never packed like it used to be. And like the other guy, I dont know anyone who follows MMA. My point is it seems like the interest isn't what it used to be.

The interest is there, just not so much on a casual level. But we are thriving, we have more gyms then ever before and producing more fighters then ever before.

Not really, I can count 5 bars who played Hendricks vs Wonderboy alone.

You don't have to look harder than ever, you're just not looking.

Looking to go watch a fight with drunks at a bar ?.
Nope.

The interest is there, just not so much on a casual level. But we are thriving, we have more gyms then ever before and producing more fighters then ever before.

Since Tuf everyone and their mother tried their hand at training.

as a canadien, most canadiens hate taking risk and just stay in there confort zone and alot of pussies who think all ko's are brutal and a near death experience

The opinion of the Francaise means shit, alright. Quebec isn't even a part of Canada, anymore... Not to me. Take your share of the National debt and GTFO.

Yeah... The " e " in Canadians gave you away, frere.

Since Tuf everyone and their mother tried their hand at training.

Well, in this day and age. Finding an MMA gym is very easy, training with upcoming pro fighters is just as easy. I'v even trained with some regional pro fighters.

The bar I sometimes go to on Queen St. In Toronto to watch PPVs is is always packed and the cards I've seen there aren't the high profile ones.

At GSP's peak everyone and their sister knew who he was. It got really quite after his popularity died down. For a few years hardly anyone I knew tuned in for fights. The bars I used to go to watch fights were no longer showing the cards. Since McGregor's rise a lot of people I know seem a lot more invested in the sport. I don't really like him but he's definitely had a huge impact on fan base.

In Ontario it's mostly the licensing fees for promotions, I forget the exact number, but it costs promotions a huge amount to hold an event in the province, far beyond the costs it takes for the essentials like medical staff and testing, meaning smaller promotions get shoved out of the picture. That's generally why we only get a few events in Canada's largest province every year, while Alberta gets nearly a hundred events every year.

MMA's popularity in canada was unsustainable it was more centred around GSP then MMA. Now that GSP is gone there are only true MMA fans left which is still a large percentage of the population. If we ever get another big star you bet it would grow back to the point it was... MMA wouldnt be as big in ireland without mcgregor or big in the U.S without Jones and Rousey or big in Brazil without Silva and Aldo... when you lose the countries biggest star of course the popularity will go down

as a canadien, most canadiens hate taking risk and just stay in there confort zone and alot of pussies who think all ko's are brutal and a near death experience
You're a Frenchie. You don't count as Canadian.

It died when GSP retired. It died again when Northcutt bought hair gel.

It seemed a lot more popular before because GSP was huge- he even won best Canadian athlete multiple times over Sidney Crosby.

Overall though, I think it's slowly growing here. Rousey and McGregor are household names and bars sell out when they fight. Also keep in mind that our dollar is horrible so less people are going to shell out the money to go see live events. When GSP was fighting our dollar was worth more than the US dollar but now it's down to something like 80 cents.

It seemed a lot more popular before because GSP was huge- he even won best Canadian athlete multiple times over Sidney Crosby.

Overall though, I think it's slowly growing here. Rousey and McGregor are household names and bars sell out when they fight. Also keep in mind that our dollar is horrible so less people are going to shell out the money to go see live events. When GSP was fighting our dollar was worth more than the US dollar but now it's down to something like 80 cents.

Household names is a bit of a stretch.
The only fighter in Canada to ever obtain that is GSP.

TL;DR
If the Canadian market really is dwindling, I think it is because of a string of bad choices made by the UFC in how they have handled the T.V. market, and live shows here.

My observations and experiences;

If Conor or Ronda fought in Montreal or Toronto, even Vancouver, those fights would sell well. Canadians are patriotic, but not with the same intensity that other countries show. The Canadian loyalty to MMA is linked to overall fighter and promotional quality. Yes GSP was a big help to boost the fan depth, but the UFC treats the Canadian market too much like they do the Brazilian market; they think it has to be build around nationalism instead of just making it about quality.

Rory is not that well known among casual fans to carry cards along anywhere including Canada. He has definitely picked up fans after the latest fight with Robbie, but the age group that really get into MMA cards find characters like Conor much more appealing to watch.

The last card Rory was on was with Chad and Conor fighting. I watched it at a bar and the people around me were mostly talking about Conor.

The only real way to see if the Canadian market has dropped significantly is to look at the PPV buys and the Fight night ratings for the Country and compare them.

Several years ago the group I used to watch UFC events with was a moderately sized at about 15 to 20 people, most of which were about 10 to 15 years younger than I am. Five, six, and seven years later these people have transitioned to different points in their lives. Many of them are now married, with kids, mortgages, and full time jobs. Some of them have moved away for career opportunities, or just simply nestled down into their chosen careers. Being past those stages already has not changed my UFC/MMA commitments as much as the rest of the group has.

This does not mean that they all no longer follow or watch UFC events. Some still do now and then, others do not, and others still probably would except that it is not as easy to commit to once your lifestyle is forcibly changed by family and career obligations.

This topic is way too vast to just generalize. The UFC has had most of a decade to grow and maintain in the Canadian market. Obviously they like to have big stars leading the way in certain markets. Without GSP to carry it, perhaps the UFC really doesn't feel like the market is as solid as it once was. Ronda and Conor have been getting the biggest workload and Canada has had fewer events overall and the quality of those events has been lacking the bigger names in the sport.

I think the Canadian market would be happy to have some big cards with some big names on them. I am not sold on the idea that without GSP this market is weak per se. I think we Canadians are just as discerning as anyone else is. Send us weak cards and average shows and we won't hand over the money blindly. Plenty of the American shows put up weak numbers also. Fans the world over want to get good entertainment for the money they spend, however there are some places that will line up for anything UFC related because they hardly ever get shows on a regular basis. Those folks will buy practically anything because it might truly be once in a lifetime that an event will be on their soil. Canadians can easily travel into the U.S. to see some of the bigger shows if they wish.

I would also add that Hockey will always be a bigger priority to Canadians over MMA no matter what. Even during the UFC's peak with GSP at the helm, the local NHL games were given priority over the UFC. Usually the Leafs game would end and the UFC's main card would be just about to begin, or was into the first fight. During playoffs, the UFC would be ignored.

With TSN now holding the T.V. rights I think the UFC has lost a lot of ground. I watch most of the shows in the internet now. I can't find them on T.V. like I once could, and there are zero MMA shows recapping the events on my local cable channels. This means that I as a fan have to find the information and content to satiate my interest, whereas a few years ago it was broadcast to me via multiple T.V. channels and shows on my cable network. This has to suck for a causal fan. A couple of my friends actually just have me catch them up on the major details. Otherwise they would only know the headlines when it is big stuff like Ronda getting KOed, or something of equal viral impact.

I think the UFC has just mishandled the Canadian market. I think they let it die with GSP's 'sort of' retirement because they don't know how to handle us.

It's a simple I just don't see the ufc doing the business in Canada that they used to. I mean shouldn't the ufc be trying to save that market? Any Canadians that can fill us in on how the sport is viewed, local promotions, interest level, amount of schools? Why has the ufc quit on a market that was booming

It's about the same as it's always been, minus GSP. That's a big minus, but overall the interest in other fights and other cards and the sport in general is pretty close to what it's always been, with the exception of the Brock spike that happened everywhere.

As a Canadian I say hell yes it's dying compared to a few years ago. I don't know how MMA gyms are doing but as a fan I can tell you that it's harder and harder to find bars that show the events. And the ones that do aren't nearly as busy as they were.

Also, I don`t know a single person who seriously follows MMA. That's just my experience though, so on its own it doesn't mean shit.

But wasn't it always kinda like this?

GSP brought a lot of interest, and the Brock era was massive, and then Silva had a brief blip where everyone wanted to watch all his fights (he should thank Chael for that).

Aside from that, though, it's always been casual fans watching hyped fights. The bars around my area have been doing just fine with Ronda, and Conor has been gaining some traction. No one's scrambling to see fights like Weidman v Rockhold or Lawler v Condit, but I don't think anyone ever was.

On a world wide scale, Zuffa invests a lot of time and energy in a wide variety of things, but if they want to really ramp things up again there's only one sure fire solution:

Repair the HW division.

People all over the world want to watch high skilled HW fighters throw down, and the UFC has decided they've got more pressing things to worry about than that shit division.

Back