Is Lloyd Irvin the best BJJ coach ever ?

Amave

Green Belt
Reaction score
Watching the Lloyd Irvin Kumite i saw Keenan Cornelius basically destroy all brown belts and it looks like this is LI intention, is it possible that LI has the secret hidden formula to produce world champ BJJ players , or is it that he holds his students back , to the point that lower belt ranks should be higher ranked due to them cleaning house in their division ?

I know LI likes to recruit from other schools the absolute best and give them somewhere to live while they train , but why does he put together a grappling promotion with ONLY brown belts knowing Keenan has black belt abilities ( as seen in his own grappling Kumite and if you YT Keenan he holds his own with the likes of Cyborg Abreu )

It seems as tho Keenan is a black belt , but LI wants to let him stay at brown for W/E reason ...

This being said would a great coach let his best students stay at a certain belt longer while his student kills all ppl in his belt color?

I wondered this for some time now

"Keenan has only done a couple of tournaments at brown belt since he's been a brown for about 6 months if that, yes there is a fine line between brown and black, if you know anything about bjj you know that keenan isn't even allowed to be promoted to black belt even if I wanted to for a year. so your point is mute"
LI FB response about sandbagging Keenan at Brown Belt.

he doesnt recruit students

also keenan wouldnt be allowed to compete at black belt in ibjjf tourneys right now so why promote him to have him sit out?

mike fowler and dj jackson got their blackbelts in 4yrs. what more do u want from the man

"Keenan has only done a couple of tournaments at brown belt since he's been a brown for about 6 months if that, yes there is a fine line between brown and black, if you know anything about bjj you know that keenan isn't even allowed to be promoted to black belt even if I wanted to for a year. so your point is mute"

okay so he should compete for the next 2 and a half years at brown belt destroying everyone?
yes actually. he is allowed to go to black, he just cant compete at ibjjf tourneys. he can still do Naga, GQ, and abu dhabi.

Last edited:
okay so he competes for the next 2 ans a haf tear a brown belt destroying everyone. ,
yes actually. he is allowed to go to black, he just cant compete at ibjjf tourneys. he can still do Naga, GQ, and abu dhabi.

Yes but obviously competing in IBJJF tournaments is a huge deal to them. Dude just got his brown, give him a break. He will get his black when he is able to under IBJJF rules.

And no offence to those tournies but who gives a shit about Naga, GQ when you could be winning worlds and pans?

okay so he competes for the next 2 ans a haf tear a brown belt destroying everyone. ,

not sure if you are serious.

you just created a little imaginative scenario in your head to argue what point again!

he has ZERO BB mundial champs. ZERO.

not saying he is not a great coach, but other coaches have many more. fabio gurgel, ramon lemos, and Terere (who has his own school once again).

in the future though, who knows. maybe mendes bros/marcelo/cobrinha will put out some bb world champs in the not too distant future. Tanner rice already beat tanq.

i would say the top thing LI guys have going for them is that they are training together. other schools are going to need to start doing a competitors house.

He won all 6 of his matches, but so did sean roberts right? And how do you know he 'destroyed' everyone? Several of his matches went more than 20 minutes. I wouldnt call that destroying everyone.

not sure if you are serious.

you just created a little imaginative scenario in your head to argue what point again!

What r u talking about. The dude is obviously a black belt if copa podio finds him worthy to compete along with the lines of rodolfo and xande. Just because ibjjf has a requirenment doesnt mean he needs to stay at brown. Bj penn, jt torres both got their black belts in 4 years. There have been a few guys to actually skip belts(fredson paixao) give the dude a black belt. He can fight better competitions in other orgs for a while.

What r u talking about. The dude is obviously a black belt if copa podio finds him worthy to compete along with the lines of rodolfo and xande. Just because ibjjf has a requirenment doesnt mean he needs to stay at brown. Bj penn, jt torres both got their black belts in 4 years. There have been a few guys to actually skip belts(fredson paixao) give the dude a black belt. He can fight better competitions in other orgs for a while.
You were already talking about li delaying his promotion for another two years

Whatever the required length for brown is

It is one year. Keenan got his brown six months ago. Li cannot promote him for another for another six months. Are you suggesting that he should break the rules and Keenan cannot compete in ibjjf event for another six months?

Is lloyd irvin the best coach? A year ago,i would of said no. Now, i definitely believe hes the best coach.

Check the results, game plan, ect....this cat keenan never one anything, now he's the hottest prospect in bjj regardless of belt level.

Dj, winning at every level, even at black
jt will win one day, he's just in a stacked division.
Results don't lie.

Developing ryan hall and fowler.

Who developed competitive black belts in 4 years?

It is one year. Keenan got his brown six months ago. Li cannot promote him for another for another six months. Are you suggesting that he should break the rules and Keenan cannot compete in ibjjf event for another six months?

Its not breaking the rules. Ibjjf isnt the epitome of jiu jitsu. Guys like jeff glover have made a career out of grapplers quest. Keenan would be fine. At least hed be fighting black belts

Point is "mute?" Seriously?:rolleyes:

I dunno, you need like a decade to say whether or not he's the best coach. Definitely the most organized. The saddest thing is I think he's simply winning using common sense. Mimicing other combat sport training camps.

I wouldn't call him the best ever, but what he is doing is damn good. He is a true coach looks like he does a lot for his guys, above and beyond what you could expect from a coach. From watching his videos, he makes everything happen with hard work. I was kind of a hater, but after seeing what he does can't help but like what he is doing. He looks like an amazing coach, but I wouldn't go so far to call him the best....at least not yet.

Lets hold off the title "best" for a little longer but he could very well be on his way. He is running a school and training guys at a high level so I could see him turning out a few Mundials champs pretty soon.

Back