Is Kesting right, how many mma/bjj guys take steroids?

This is true, but there are some like Sean Sherk, Wandy in Pride, etc. Royce, Barnett, and most of those busted don't look like bodybuilders at all. I still wonder why Royce did it.
Probably because he was scared of losing to Sakuraba... again.

My instructor pointed out, "These guys half to train atleast 8 hours a day to stay competitive. During that time most of it is technique. You dont get to look like a bodybuilder from drilling armbars, rolling, and working a bag. You stay in good shape, but you dont look like a competitive bodybuilder. The guys that do, are most likely using"

Sorry but I gotta respectfully disagree with your instructor. Dopers come in all shapes and forms.

rafa2.jpg

This guy?!

DSC_0787.jpg

marcelo, pe de pano, nino schembri, i don't think these guys have roided, so u can def. get to the top w/out roiding, in bjj anyway.

That's about the essence of what I was told.

I'll also mention that training any combat sport or MMA for 6-8 hours for 5-6 days a week is really impossible. The human body just can't train that hard everyday that many days back to back without some help, even if it;s legal substances. When I was doing bodybuilding hardcore, I could only do mon-fri hard as hell, and had to take 2 whole days off doing practically nothing and taking glutamine and a shitload of fish and eggs. I've even used NO2 and Creatine at times but I tried to get big using all protein. I;ve noticed Creatine gives you a "fluffy muscle" look. people that have taken it know what I mean. But I digress.

I ain't accusing GSP of shit, but it is amazing how his body looks (no homo), and I know a lot of it is genetics, but man he is probably the best example of a fighter's body in MMA today.

I know exactly what you mean - you add weight from creatine, it's a water weight. You get a puffy look. Guys that bulk up after an anabolic cycle get a very "dry" addition of mass.

And yes, there are a lot of BJJ guys who are on gear, juice, or whatever you want to call it. In fact, I have a friend who, well, let's just say he has a constant supply of "vitamin S". He managed to arrange a deal for weekly privates with a well-renowned BB in exchange for keeping him in supply.

But it is what it is. Better to light a candle than curse the darkness. (I have no idea what that would really mean in this context. Oh well. When in Rome...):icon_neut

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, but I had that exact look and frame on my body at 21 from lifting, protein, and glutamine. Yes, he's in very good shape, but it's not a roid requirement for a young man to have a body like that. He could easily have gotten that body from hard work in the gym and legal supplements. I did, and weighed 185. That's a good 30 lbs heavier than Rafa there, and I still maintained the abs, lack of body fat, lean muscle definition, etc.

On a side note, I could deal with ANY of my favorite grapplers juicing: except MARCELO GARIA. Please, Marcelo, I hope you never juiced man.

I know exactly what you mean - you add weight from creatine, it's a water weight. You get a puffy look. Guys that bulk up after an anabolic cycle get a very "dry" addition of mass.

And yes, there are a lot of BJJ guys who are on gear, juice, or whatever you want to call it. In fact, I have a friend who, well, let's just say he has a constant supply of "vitamin S". He managed to arrange a deal for weekly privates with a well-renowned BB in exchange for keeping him in supply.

But it is what it is. Better to light a candle than curse the darkness. (I have no idea what that would really mean in this context. Oh well. When in Rome...):icon_neut

WOW. Crazy!

Anyone notice Roger's losing his hair??? :wink:

j/k

I completely disagree that steroids are good for you if used properly. I've taken them once in 2005 in very moderate doses just to see what the hype was and the side effects were ridiculous. Acne everywhere, especially on the back, and worst of all, temper. It made me very depressed and angry. That said, I gained about 8 lbs of pure muscle in one month. Not worth it.

Every body responds differently to any given supplement, even legal ones. I have no idea how you could use roids properly. I guess you could mess with the dosage to see what works for you, but even then, if the chemicals don;t become addictive, the way you look will, and you'll continue to use. I had to compare it, but it really is like taking addictive drugs. It is very difficult to do opiates or cocaine recreationally. Are there people that can? Sure. But they're very rare.

There are instances. I once had a severe groin injury. Did physical therapy, several months later, the injury was no better than before. So I took the advice of my "Vitamin S' friend and did a light cycle of Deca and Test. Did not want to feel like I was "cheating", so I didn't lift during that period. Gained no mass, saw no noticable physical changes, but that damned groin injury made more progress in 4 weeks than in the 3 months prior. My libido was a little more ramped than even usual (my wife didn't care too much for that particular side effect), but there was no bacne and no temper or mood swings. So in my case, I felt that it was a manageable experience.

That said, I've not done them again.

I am willing to bet that at least 40 percent of world class bjj players juice. The brazilians more so. I am sure its easier to get HGH through Dr's in Brazil than it is here. Alot of people at my local gym juice let alone world class athletes. Kesting is right and he knows what he is talking about.

The guys in the UFC are doing double every day. There always injured and there body has to recover. Plus if you don't juice your behind the eight ball. Juice will help you in any athletic sport.

Yeah, he does look pretty buff here in this one picture, but if you watch the ADCC matches, he's still pretty skinny.

well i was there and i was surpised how good all the guys look. I don't say Rafa uses steroids I was just surprised to see what he looks with no top, when i see him in a gi he looks so skinny.

Pablo

DSC_0861.jpg

Gregor Gracie

DSC_0550.jpg

DSC_0485.jpg

steriods help your body recover, that's why doctors consider it a legit tool

This is more in defense to Rafa..

when im training 3 days a week and eating properly I look exactly like rafa, maybe 10 lbs lighter.

Its not hard to be cut when you weigh 145lbs.

As an aside, I have heard that many top competitors do juice. Who and how frequent I don't know

makes sense, as previously stated the human body can only endure so much stress without breaking down. It is virtually impossible to train 8 hours a day 5 or 6 days a week without something "special" to help aid in recovery.

Wouldn't surprise me if tons of the top guys take them. Hell, I bet a lot of the regular guys who are just serious in general take it.

I would've never thought this 5 yrs ago but when I started college I started seeing how widely taken they were. Wrestling team, bodybuilders, power lifting, etc.

There was a kid in school we just called 'Roids because he was disgustingly huge and would openly talk about his cycles, blah blah blah.

Then there guys where I did an internship who talked about their power lifting contests and how they all juiced.

I even found out my uncle did steroids when he was younger when he was into powerlifting, etc.

Everyone I talked to about it from the wrestlers to lifters all said they made it possible to go out each day and go 100% with 100% less recovery time.

Well, Pablo Popovitch works out extremely hard; part of his approach is to train exercises which are essentially identical to submission positions he will find himself in so his submission-relevant muscles are as strong as they can possibly be in a nature as specific to the position as possible.

I believe he has the same strength trainer as Monson and some others.

Anyway, hard work does pay off sometimes, you know. Being ripped does not mean being roided.

Back