• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is Kesting right, how many mma/bjj guys take steroids?

Look at Rafael at ADCC this year, his back was covered with pimples and his physique looked different from past competition and DVD footage. Including his interviews where Atos guys train 3 times a day 6 days a week, along with strength and conditioning on the side; steroids would be a pretty good idea to recover and be able to train hard. Steroids if used properly are good for you from what I hear, plus with all the machoism and availability of steroids in Brazil anyway. At least I think so.

My instructor pointed out, "These guys half to train atleast 8 hours a day to stay competitive. During that time most of it is technique. You dont get to look like a bodybuilder from drilling armbars, rolling, and working a bag. You stay in good shape, but you dont look like a competitive bodybuilder. The guys that do, are most likely using"

That's about the essence of what I was told.

I'll also mention that training any combat sport or MMA for 6-8 hours for 5-6 days a week is really impossible. The human body just can't train that hard everyday that many days back to back without some help, even if it;s legal substances. When I was doing bodybuilding hardcore, I could only do mon-fri hard as hell, and had to take 2 whole days off doing practically nothing and taking glutamine and a shitload of fish and eggs. I've even used NO2 and Creatine at times but I tried to get big using all protein. I;ve noticed Creatine gives you a "fluffy muscle" look. people that have taken it know what I mean. But I digress.

I ain't accusing GSP of shit, but it is amazing how his body looks (no homo), and I know a lot of it is genetics, but man he is probably the best example of a fighter's body in MMA today.

Most of the guys that have been busted for roids in MMA have not looked anything like bodybuilders...

This is true, but there are some like Sean Sherk, Wandy in Pride, etc. Royce, Barnett, and most of those busted don't look like bodybuilders at all. I still wonder why Royce did it.

Look at Rafael at ADCC this year, his back was covered with pimples and his physique looked different from past competition and DVD footage. Including his interviews where Atos guys train 3 times a day 6 days a week, along with strength and conditioning on the side; steroids would be a pretty good idea to recover and be able to train hard. Steroids if used properly are good for you from what I hear, plus with all the machoism and availability of steroids in Brazil anyway. At least I think so.

I don't know man, I mean Rafa was always a skinny dude, it wouldn't be that hard for him to put on some muscle for the ADCC.

I completely disagree that steroids are good for you if used properly. I've taken them once in 2005 in very moderate doses just to see what the hype was and the side effects were ridiculous. Acne everywhere, especially on the back, and worst of all, temper. It made me very depressed and angry. That said, I gained about 8 lbs of pure muscle in one month. Not worth it.

Every body responds differently to any given supplement, even legal ones. I have no idea how you could use roids properly. I guess you could mess with the dosage to see what works for you, but even then, if the chemicals don;t become addictive, the way you look will, and you'll continue to use. I had to compare it, but it really is like taking addictive drugs. It is very difficult to do opiates or cocaine recreationally. Are there people that can? Sure. But they're very rare.

I don't know man, I mean Rafa was always a skinny dude, it wouldn't be that hard for him to put on some muscle for the ADCC.

I agree. Some people are fast gainers. I would say though I did notice the bacne. I will not diss Rafa though as I still feel Cobrinha is bigger lol.

I completely disagree that steroids are good for you if used properly. I've taken them once in 2005 in very moderate doses just to see what the hype was and the side effects were ridiculous. Acne everywhere, especially on the back, and worst of all, temper. It made me very depressed and angry. That said, I gained about 8 lbs of pure muscle in one month. Not worth it.

Every body responds differently to any given supplement, even legal ones. I have no idea how you could use roids properly. I guess you could mess with the dosage to see what works for you, but even then, if the chemicals don;t become addictive, the way you look will, and you'll continue to use. I had to compare it, but it really is like taking addictive drugs. It is very difficult to do opiates or cocaine recreationally. Are there people that can? Sure. But they're very rare.

If you don't mind me asking what steroids did you take? I know they are very easy to get at gyms, I hired a personal trainer after my knee operation and within two weeks the guy was trying to sell me Deca. Telling me how wonderful it was and how I wouldn't have to bust my ass like a chump. I ended up dropping the trainer and didn't do the deca.

If you guys think Popovich looks like an action figure you should see some of his team pictures, as someone said in a previous post it looks like the cast of "300"

I agree. Some people are fast gainers. I would say though I did notice the bacne. I will not diss Rafa though as I still feel Cobrinha is bigger lol.

Also keep in mind that Rafa is like 20, and comparing his physique to a couple years ago or whatever, he was still more or less a teenager then. It's not unusual to put on more muscle as one enters adulthood.

The acne and bacne alone is enough for me to not touch roids. F that noise.

They once tried doing random testing at the Mundials. All of the tests came back positive except for one.

They once tried doing random testing at the Mundials. All of the tests came back positive except for one.

Also according to steroid.com, there are several varieties of steroids that can be completely out of your system in a matter of weeks or even days: Steroid Detection Times of Various Anabolic Steroids by Steroid.com

So if they knew that it were a tested event, they probably all would have stopped juicing long enough in advance that they would have passed. Kinda makes you wonder about UFC fighters as well...

a very popular grappler admitted to doing a cycle on another bjj forum. it was in his opinion by what he seen in the sport, that almost all the top guys were juicing at some point.

its not really surprising to me when you think about the massive gap in pay/fame between the top guys and everyone else, these guys will do anything to get up there

Lol on Pablo... I'll soon be learning from him at his school. The guy is really massive and i don't doubt he's got something going on. As for steroid use in BJJ, i certainly don't doubt it. Though, it has it's traces back in American routes as well as european far back in the day. So IMO... im not surprised... If anyone wants a good insight on this check out "Bigger Stronger Faster". It's a docu about steroids and it's history with America and covers alot of stuff but definitely opens your mind.

To paraphrase a steroid researcher from Penn State, the only guys who get caught juicing are stupid,lazy or want to be caught. Its that easy to beat tests now. I'm buddies with a guy who was a lineman for a southern college football team that was pretty good and he told me 80% of his team was on hgh or steroids. They'd get tipped off when they were going to be tested and would cycle down or get masking. I also remember chatting with a BJJ'er who had done NAGA in New England and Florida and he joked that half the competitors would have been bounced if there were piss testing.

Throw in the fact that 'roids and hgh are so easy to get in some places and I have no doubt most MMA guys and lots of BJJ guys are doing them.

A very reliable blackbelt instructor with a very good reputation and tons of inside info.

EDIT: It was Paul Schreiner aka Delicious Bass on the Jiu Jitsu Gear forum. Same thread where Jeff Glover admitted to trying a cycle.

Back