Is Kesting right, how many mma/bjj guys take steroids?

Kyuktooki

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I got one of Stephen Kesting's newsletters today (I actually don't mind his advertising one bit, everything he sends is interesting and relevant) but I was a little bit surprised when he mentioned steroids.
His exact words were:
If you watch UFC All Access it's easy to get the impression that you have to train for 8 hours a day to make any progress in combat sports.

These are professional athletes at the peak of their sport. They DON'T have full time jobs, other than training. While in training camp they eat, sleep and train - that's it. Many of them are also taking 'supplements' to train harder and recover faster. By 'supplements' I mean steroids and other banned substances
I don't doubt that there are fighters who take steroids but is he right to suggest that many of them take steroids?
I hope for the sake of MMA they don't, it hurts the reputation of the sport.

With the recovery time and rate of steroids, I wouldn't doubt it. You don't have to take a lot, just a little to recover faster. That's what makes it believable.

I'd wager that a decent majority are on PEDs. I'm sure there are some who aren't.

very believable, i know a few amateur guys now who does it and
at UFC level it's probably rampant

My instructor pointed out, "These guys half to train atleast 8 hours a day to stay competitive. During that time most of it is technique. You dont get to look like a bodybuilder from drilling armbars, rolling, and working a bag. You stay in good shape, but you dont look like a competitive bodybuilder. The guys that do, are most likely using"

Absolutely, I believe a good majority of all pro athletes do. Hell it's even a problem in the amateurs.

My instructor pointed out, "These guys half to train atleast 8 hours a day to stay competitive. During that time most of it is technique. You dont get to look like a bodybuilder from drilling armbars, rolling, and working a bag. You stay in good shape, but you dont look like a competitive bodybuilder. The guys that do, are most likely using"

Most of the guys that have been busted for roids in MMA have not looked anything like bodybuilders...

If you want to look at BJJ guys who might be on roids, look no farther than Pablo Popavitch.

If you want to look at BJJ guys who might be on roids, look no farther than Pablo Popavitch.
9fe05991.jpg

popovitch.jpg

Those are the 2 best pictures that I could find on Google. I just thought that I would save some of you guys the trouble. :D

Doesn't mean nothing a lot of wrestlers are built and take nothing!

I don't think it's a problem in mma like it is in say baseball or football but I'm sure it's there.

It isn't THAT common in American MMA just because of all the random and frquent drug testing, although there are certainly ways to cycle or mask what you're putting in your body. Juicing was VERY prevalent in the PRIDE days, where there was essentially no regulation. I think Fedor, Nogueira, Saku, and Rampage were some of the only fighters that (to my knowledge) didn't take anything. I am not fighter bashing, but I believe it;s been admitted or well known that Mark Coleman, Randleman, Sapp, Cro Cop, Overreem, Wandy, Shogun, and a lot of other big guys over there did. I definately mean no fighter bashing. I could be wrong, but all of those guys have been reported or rumored to have juiced in PRIDE. I'm not saying they have.

As far as BJJ, I do think it's the sport's dirty little secret, although it;s every sports dirty little secret. I know Judoka do it because of all their injuries so it's prevalent in Judo, but not as much for strength reasons. In BJJ I've been told by some very big names that some of my favorite grapplers have done it and do do it. I asked who, and they refused to tell me. They said I would be very dissapointed if I found out.

Is there even testing at events like the Mundials and ADCC?

Is there even testing at events like the Mundials and ADCC?

As far as I know there is no drug testing in the Mundials or in ADCC. Which kind of makes sense because these events don't make much money in order to pay for the drug testing of all the competitors.

Back