Is Japan still top5 nation in MMA? Did Poland or Australia took the spot?

The 5 countries better represented in pro MMA worldwide.

At the end money talks, and ONE and Rizin are paying Japanese top talent way more than UFC does. UFC doenst hire all the top talent wordwide, much less in ligher weightclasses. So get a clue and do not suck the brand so much.

Japan's counterparts for Karlos Vemola?
Vemola would hardly be even top20 p4p in Japan ffs

Mirko is retired for good. Bad symptom if you need to bring Mirko to the discussion lol.
Croatia hardly has a case for top10 nation in MMA, let alone top5. Get real.

Poland has a case yeah. Still far from evident that they are better than Japan.
Outside of Jan, Joanna and maybe Gamrot at LW, how many Polish fighters are even ranked top50 in any other division? In the 105-135 weigh range alone, Japan has like dozens.

Just quickly checked Poland and they have 11 top 50 ranked fighters.

@pankrat

HW: #36 Tanner Boser
LHW: #146 Graham Park
MW: #19 Elias Theodorou
WW: #14 Rory Macdonald
LW: #54 OAM & #57 Makdessi
FW: #48 Hakeem Dawodu
BW: #41 Josh Hill
FLW: #62 Chris Kaledes

WFW: #3 Julia Budd & #11 S. Kaufman
WBW: #29 Sarah Moras
WFLW: #14 Gillian Robertson
STW: #25 Randa Markos
AW: No ranked canadian AW

Yeah Chinese MMA atleast produced a UFC World Champion :D

1 Gold medal >>> all silvers combined

He got a UFC World Championship belt?

The guy bringing up Saku is ridiculous, mate

What's Saku got to do with if Japan is still top 5 right now?

I just replied his ridiculous reply with a ridiculous reply :D

You asked me if a Japanese ever held a UFC belt. I mentioned Saku, since he was the tournament winner.
Son, you are all over the place. Your posts dont make sense. Nice troll account though!

Ishii is the best Japanese HW presently but fight matrix counts him as Croatian lol

HW: Boser vs Croatian Ishii
LHW: Japan wins
MW: Elias vs Okami
WW: Rory vs Sato
LW: OAM vs Mikuru Asakura
FW: Hakeem vs Shoko Sato
BW: Japan wins
FLW: Japan wins

5-3 Canada for Mens MMA
Big suprise for me was LHW lol
Could become a draw if Okami or Asakura win against

WFW: Canada wins

WBW: Sarah Moras vs Rin Nakai. Rin is ranked higher lol

WFLW: Canada wins

WSTR: Rando Markos is ranked below two Japanese women

AW: No competition

Japan wins WMMA 3-2 according to fight matrix rankings

Combined Canada wins 7-6

Close series

@pankrat

You asked me if a Japanese ever held a UFC belt. I mentioned Saku, since he was the tournament winner.
Son, you are all over the place. Your posts dont make sense. Nice troll account though!
Touche sherbro :D

Mirko had a stroke bro, he aint coming back.

Soldic is really, really good and easily UFC level. Erslan looks like he could be but needs testing, they also have Ante Delija who's pretty solid. Beyond that they don't have much really, certainly no one on the level of the likes of Horiguchi, Kai Asakura, Mikuru Asakura, Ougibuko, Ayaka Hamasaki, Takashi Sato and others.

Hell even modern day Yushin Okami, Shinya Aoki and Kiichi Kunimoto would all be P4P top 10 if they were Croatian.

They even had to lay a claim to Satoshi Ishii.

I have been discussing the what would be the overall rankings lately. Never have I said that I include only active fighters. Or do you want to say that now that Cro Cop is retired because of 'stroke' Japan has taken over Croatia with.... whom exactly!?? lol

As I'm checking fightmatrix now... there's this name at HW Ante Delija. He's ranked #60 at fightmatrix. Satoshi Ishii is placed like 4 places down, funny thing is he's with a Croatian banner. But there's this Czech dude ranked below Ishii too... Michal Martinek. Then you have Viktor Pesta at #73.

Karlos Vemola is currently at #65 LHW. There's no Japanese guy. Ivan Arslan at 99. Then Petr Knize...
Lots of Poles inside there too.
Where are the Japanese exactly??? Even small countries in Europe have more top fighters.

Yushin Okami seems to be the only ranked Japanese at MW. And he's 77 right now. Goran Reljic is 134.

WW Roberto Soldic #65. Takashi Sato 78. Shiniya Aioki 93.

At LW there are like 4 Japanese from top50-100.
Just because there are no Croatians who compete in lower weight classes.

Poland is way more present in all weight classes from LW over.

Japan is present only in the small-weight classes. And the definition is present, because they are only a few top guys out there.
I'm not saying Croatia or Czechia are some powerhouses, but it's definitely comparable to Japan, as far as top talent goes.

Japan is obviously the more numerous country and it compensates with quantity where quality lacks.

I have been discussing the what would be the overall rankings lately. Never have I said that I include only active fighters. Or do you want to say that now that Cro Cop is retired because of 'stroke' Japan has taken over Croatia with.... whom exactly!?? lol

As I'm checking fightmatrix now... there's this name at HW Ante Delija. He's ranked #60 at fightmatrix. Satoshi Ishii is placed like 4 places down, funny thing is he's with a Croatian banner. But there's this Czech dude ranked below Ishii too... Michal Martinek. Then you have Viktor Pesta at #73.

Karlos Vemola is currently at #65 LHW. There's no Japanese guy. Ivan Arslan at 99. Then Petr Knize...
Where are the Japanese exactly??? Even small countries in Europe have more top fighters.

Yushin Okami seems to be the only ranked Japanese at MW. And he's 77 right now. Goran Reljic is 134.

Japan is present only in the small-weight classes. And the definition is present, because they are only a few top guys out there.
I'm not saying Croatia or Czechia are some powerhouses, but it's definitely comparable to Japan, as far as top talent goes.

Japan is obviously the more numerous country and it compensates with quantity where quality lacks.

Japanese people are on average smaller than Eastern Europeans, so that's why they tend to have more in the lighter weight classes.

If you're talking all time then Japan Vs Croatia isn't even a contest, Japan wins by absolutely miles.

Japanese people are on average smaller than Eastern Europeans, so that's why they tend to have more in the lighter weight classes.

If you're talking all time then Japan Vs Croatia isn't even a contest, Japan wins by absolutely miles.

I guess what we are discussing is the declining role of Japan in MMA. That's what the thread was all about. That's why I came here to say that countries from Central Europe seem to be taking the nod lately. I'm also a fan of Japanese fighters from the time of the "Fireball kid". Unforutantely these times seems to be over.

What is more funny is that Croatia and Czech Republic are still dwarfing Giants like India and China who are not even present on the rankings, if not for the WMMA which is not a thing here.

I guess what we are discussing is the declining role of Japan in MMA. That's what the thread was all about. That's why I came here to say that countries from Central Europe seem to be taking the nod lately. I'm also a fan of Japanese fighters from the time of the "Fireball kid". Unforutantely these times seems to be over.

What is more funny is that Croatia and Czech Republic are still dwarfing Giants like India and China who are not even present on the rankings, if not for the WMMA which is not a thing here.

If you take eastern Europe outside Russia as a whole, then yes. On an individual country basis not so much.

I think it's just that you ended up with a bad example in Croatia really, they've never really had much of an MMA presence outside of a few good fighters.

China I think have a few now. I know Song Yadong is ranked, I would imagine Li Jingliang still is, not sure about Su Mudajeri (sp) but I do rate him, China are improving.

Hey there aren't fat asses in every part of the world; particularly in Asia. MMA is still MMA in lighter weightclasses.
Japan is way above Croatia or Czech still today in both quantity and quality, and it's not even close really.

By the way, if you go by FightMatrix, keep in mind that ONE contenders, including many Japanese as Aoki, Okami, Shoko Sato, Wada etc...are ranked (or rather underanked) a weightclass above where they actually are, due to ONE's weightcutting policy

Hey there aren't fat asses in every part of the world; particularly in Asia. MMA is still MMA in lighter weightclasses.
Japan is way above Croatia or Czech still today in both quantity and quality, and it's not even close really.

By the way, if you go by FightMatrix, keep in mind that ONE contenders, including many Japanese as Aoki, Okami, Shoko Sato, Wada etc...are ranked (or rather underanked) a weightclass above where they actually are, due to ONE's weightcutting policy

Japan has 12 times the population of Czech too, it'd be crazily impressive for the Czechs to somehow surpass them.

Ishii is the best Japanese HW presently but fight matrix counts him as Croatian lol

HW: Boser vs Croatian Ishii
LHW: Japan wins
MW: Elias vs Okami
WW: Rory vs Sato
LW: OAM vs Mikuru Asakura
FW: Hakeem vs Shoko Sato
BW: Japan wins
FLW: Japan wins

5-3 Canada for Mens MMA
Big suprise for me was LHW lol
Could become a draw if Okami or Asakura win against

WFW: Canada wins

WBW: Sarah Moras vs Rin Nakai. Rin is ranked higher lol

WFLW: Canada wins

WSTR: Rando Markos is ranked below two Japanese women

AW: No competition

Japan wins WMMA 3-2 according to fight matrix rankings

Combined Canada wins 7-6

Close series

@pankrat

* Fightmatrix ranks ONE fighters a weightclass above, because of their weightcutting policy

HW - Japan sucks at heavy so is no brainer
LHW - I dont even know who is the best LHW in Japan if not Ishii. I guess Tatsuya Mizuno is still around, he has some legit skills.
MW - Okami might be shot...any good version of him dominates Elias everywhere imo, definitely in the clinch/ground
WW - Similarly, unless Rory is completely shot, he should dominate Sato, Nakamura or Kunimoto with ease.
LW - I'd say Aoki still the best representative for Japan at LW, along with Kume. Aoki has just beat a legit fighter in Eto and is riding a 6-1 run, only loss to champion Lee for the belt in a fight he was dominating. OAM is solid though, his skill-set and physicality could neutralize Aoki.
FW - Shoto Sato is a bantam. Asakura and Matsushima are the best FW from Japan today imo. Not sure they could beat Dawodu. Mikuru would have a good chance imo.

Japan is a force at BW, FLW and STW, and widely above Canada.

The guy bringing up Saku is ridiculous, mate

What's Saku got to do with if Japan is still top 5 right now?

I just replied his ridiculous reply with a ridiculous reply :D
Well, technically, you initiated that nonsense...

Yeah Chinese MMA atleast produced a UFC World Champion :D

1 Gold medal >>> all silvers combined

japan should dominate WMMA, they completely own the wrestling scene there
but there's not enough money in it.

Back