• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is it time to slide Charles Oliveira over Tony Ferguson in All-Time Lightweights

TF was unbeatable when he was on his winstreak that would have culminated in fighting Khabib

Back then, Do Bronx was very beatable.

I don't have recency bias unlike half the people here. I watched Ferguson's whole career and Do Bronx's whole career too.

If you have no bias why are you claiming Tony was unbeatable? Did you see his fights with Kevin Lee and Lando? Pettis dropped him. He barely scraped by Castillo. He went on a crazy run but at no point did he look unbeatable.

The quality of his 11 fight win streak before Islam plus some great earlier w's was enough imo

its-already-done-john.gif

Am I the only on who thinks the thread title sounds really gay?

I'm not complaining.

Come on, Charles was ahead a bit ago. Charles is now a top 3 all time LW, Tony isn't top 5 or maybe even top 10.

Ferguson wtf lol... As much I respect Ferguson, can't put him above Charles like never.

If you have no bias why are you claiming Tony was unbeatable? Did you see his fights with Kevin Lee and Lando? Pettis dropped him. He barely scraped by Castillo. He went on a crazy run but at no point did he look unbeatable.

Just because he took damage didn't make him beatable. When he finally got beat by Gathje, he suddenly looked very, very beatable. But up until then, he would just rise from the dead and beat the crap out of whoever was beating on him...

Recency bias is crazy here. DoBronx was in the UFC the same amount of time as TF and was getting his ass handed to him by all sorts of fighters...

I actually really don't like TF - i watched TUF and never got over the where's your kid comments - and am a fan of Do Bronx his entire career, including now. I' actually very happy that the public is so behind Do Bronx these days. I am OP.

I don't think Tony's carreer will age gracefully. His run was very good and so was him.

Given time people will remember Dustin, Gaethje, RDA and others before they remember him.

With his dominant win over Dariush (unbeaten 5 years), Oliveria is now back in title contention. He has a storied career just like Tony Ferguson had, a title reign where he defended the strap more times than Islam has (against Dana favorites Dustin & Justin), and all the records to back it up.

1. Khabib 2. BJ Penn 3. Frankie Edgar 4. Charles Oliveria?
Oliveira has 2 more top ten wins at Lightweight than Ferguson.

Oliveira's resume:

#5 Kevin Lee
#4 Tony Ferguson
#6 Michael Chandler
#1 Dustin Poirier
#2 Justin Gaethje
#5 Beneil Dariush

Oliveira has 6 top ten wins.
Ferguson's resume (based on FightMatrix):

#2 Rafael dos Anjos
#8 Kevin Lee
#6 Anthony Pettis
#4 Donald Cerrone

Ferguson has 4 top ten wins.

As for all-time Lightweights?

Khabib, Gomi, Henderson, Alvarez, and Penn are all above Edgar and Oliveira, imo.

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...st-top-10-ranked-wins-at-lightweight.4147383/

That history. He’s chasing LW GOAT status.

it wasn’t in debate before last weekend, much less so now. Not even close, honestly.

I would put Edgar over BJ Penn, at least at LW.
His record was 15-3-1 at LW.
He avenged his loss to Maynard.
His first loss vs Benson was a very close fight and his second loss was pretty much a robbery.

And yeah, Charles is over Tony, but I wouldn't put Charles on #4. Charles had many many missed weights and Islam is already a better fighter.
Also, do not forget RDA & Benson.

Back