Is it time or hate that prevents Jon Jones being the LHW GOAT in some eyes?

buddhist09

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
The other day I started a thread stating that Jon Jones could very well already be the greatest LHW of all time (Link: http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/safe-say-jon-jones-lhw-goat-2562423/ )
(not MMA GOAT as some people mistakenly thought I was saying)

I read a bunch of posts on it. It got me wondering people that disagree are 50/50. Half the people that say no believe that it hasn't been enough time to announce that. The other half say no and he's not that good. He only beat small MWs and past their prime LHWs (clear hate). Wondering, which of the two do logical people think it is?

(Not a Jones hugger before I become accused of one)

It's because he absolutely dismantled Shogun after one of Shogun's biggest wins of his career, one of the most loved fighters on Sherdog.

goat.jpg
jonjones.jpg

They don't even look like each other. You must be the dumbest motherfucker of all time. I even went so far as to find a picture of Jon Jones with a beard, but nope.

probably time. If he lost to gustoffson, he would have had an amazing run, but wouldnt be considered goat after that. Let's see how long he can keep it going.

Probably the facts. Jones is on his way but doesn't deserve to be called LHW GOAT (you know...the greatest of ALL time?). Not even remotely right now. That doesn't get awarded overnight.

Big difference between being the next guard and being the GOAT

Jones should clearly be the lhw goat. It's just around here there are huge shogun fans, rampage fans, and machida fans who now can't stand him and refuse to admit how amazing he is.

Jones fought shogun in a months notice. Yet people say he's only fighting middleweights (sonnen, Belfort) he even turned down the sonnen fight originally, got shit on for that too. He can't win on sherdog.

Probably the facts. Jones is on his way but doesn't deserve to be called LHW GOAT (you know...the greatest of ALL time?). Not even remotely right now. That doesn't get awarded overnight.

Jones has a better resume than any other LHW in history.

Jones should clearly be the lhw goat. It's just around here there are huge shogun fans, rampage fans, and machida fans who now can't stand him and refuse to admit how amazing he is.

Jones fought shogun in a months notice. Yet people say he's only fighting middleweights (sonnen, Belfort) he even turned down the sonnen fight originally, got shit on for that too. He can't win on sherdog.

Plus, if Jones is not the LHW GOAT because of lack of longevity, how the hell can they make a case for Shogun? His best run lasted for one year (2005). Jones has been beating the best LHWs thrown at him since 2011.

Jones has a better resume than any other LHW in history.

On purely a "name game"? Possibly.

But objectively no. He really doesn't considering how many of the fighters he fought were years past their prime or MW's moving up to fight him.

The notable wins JBJ has over young/prime/or close to prime guys

Rashad
Machida
Bader
Gus

That's about it. I'd like to be proven otherwise.

The other day I started a thread stating that Jon Jones could very well already be the greatest LHW of all time (Link: http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/safe-say-jon-jones-lhw-goat-2562423/ )
(not MMA GOAT as some people mistakenly thought I was saying)

I read a bunch of posts on it. It got me wondering people that disagree are 50/50. Half the people that say no believe that it hasn't been enough time to announce that. The other half say no and he's not that good. He only beat small MWs and past their prime LHWs (clear hate). Wondering, which of the two do logical people think it is?

(Not a Jones hugger before I become accused of one)

it is obviously time.
but there is also some true in the second part.
After all, he did beat a couple of guys past their primes (Rua, Rampage), a couple of guys that does not belong to LHW (Vitor, Chael). Take them away, and it is still a very good record, but IMO not really a LHW GOAT.

He does have potential though, and IMO given time, he can prove all haters wrong...

it is obviously time.
After all, he did beat a couple of guys past their primes (Rua, Rampage), a couple of guys that does not belong to LHW (Vitor, Chael). Take them away, and it is still a very good record, but IMO not really a LHW GOAT.

He does have potential though, and IMO given time, he can prove all haters wrong...

Well said. JBJ's an elite guy at LHW. That's no doubt. He's also a good champ. But LHW GOAT is absurd.

Best LHW right now? Yeah that's a better arguement. But GOAT? Jeez. Really?

c'mon guys. it's ridiculous to try and poke holes in the argument for him. he still stands above anyone else.

c'mon guys. it's ridiculous to try and poke holes in the argument for him. he still stands above anyone else.

So you're basically saying squint our eyes, and tilt our head sideways and ignore everything else so we can see JBJ as the greatest LHW of all time? Lol.

it is obviously time.

Who do you think the LHW GOAT is, and explain why their case is better than Jones'.

So you're basically saying squint our eyes, and tilt our head sideways and ignore everything else so we can see JBJ as the greatest LHW of all time? Lol.

i'm saying noone else has a better argument.

Back