Is it ok as a student to rip into your classmates for their work ethic

Dude, you're a player not a cheerleader. As much as we practice in a team environment, this is an individual sport.. Worry about yourself and smash the shit out of the halfassers in practice.. They'll either get the point or they won't. Either way, not your problem.

I have no idea why some people are being hostile towards considering you're not a troll or an idiot. If I was in your position I'd just tell them that you think they can go harder than they are. Like "C'mon man, you got more than that!".

I have no idea why some people are being hostile towards considering you're not a troll or an idiot. If I was in your position I'd just tell them that you think they can go harder than they are. Like "C'mon man, you got more than that!".

Thanks bro. I think people are misunderstanding my situation. I might have either written it poorly or they just didn't take the time to read it thoroughly.

I'm not trying to be some gym nazi drill sergeant. Alot of the guys at the gym just train for fun and self defense. I'm not talking abou tthose guys. I'm talking about trying to push my teammates (the ones that compete and represent the school). When we go to tournaments and guys lose, its not a big deal. I'm always proud and first one to pat them on the back. In fact I do alot of the planning for trips and tournaments. 'm very invloved in everything that happens at our school. I just want guys who compete alot to be at their best.

Thanks for the advice guys (alot of it was very good). I'm not going to give up on them, but I'll find a tactful way to try and motivate them, whether it be by leading by example or pulling them aside and offering any help.

Also I want to add, although I'm just a blue belt, my instructor has had me lead classes a few times in the rare occasions that all three of our instructors couldn't make it in. I don't go over technique, just drills. So there is a little bit of respect that the other students show to me.

When you were in high school or college, did you tell the students who didn't study enough, or are late that they should study harder or get there in time? It's so weird that you feel the need to let them know. Just worry about your own. my .02

When you were in high school or college, did you tell the students who didn't study enough, or are late that they should study harder or get there in time? It's so weird that you feel the need to let them know. Just worry about your own. my .02

well in college and high school, they weren't my teammates. in fact most classes in college there was a curve system, so no, i didn't try to motivate them.

i think its even weirder that you don't give a shit if your teammates improve or not.

Dude, you're a player not a cheerleader. As much as we practice in a team environment, this is an individual sport.. Worry about yourself and smash the shit out of the halfassers in practice.. They'll either get the point or they won't. Either way, not your problem.

Agreed. It's an individual sport and the people you are training with are doing it for themselves and paying for it themselves. They get to choose their own level of dedication. If you try to motivate them they will resent you.

Agreed. It's an individual sport and the people you are training with are doing it for themselves and paying for it themselves. They get to choose their own level of dedication. If you try to motivate them they will resent you.

Not disagreeing with you about the resentment part but just curious...why do you think that is? I mean in other martial arts and team sports (football, basketball, you name it), teammates are always pushing each other. How come in bjj people resent you for trying to push them harder?

BJJ is an idividual sport, you have absolutely no reason or need to be concerned about their training. If someone tried to "rip on me" for their perception about my work ethic, I would probably tell them to shove their head up their ass. I have spent my entire adult life in the military and have done the 5 hours, 5 days a week + S&C work, training thing (for combat sports). I train the way I do because it is how I want to train at this point in my life. I do BJJ for fun, mostly. I have no desire to pay 130 bucks a month to spent 30 minutes of class doing push ups and running around a mat.

Now I can see you giving a training partner shit if he is fucking around when you are trying to train or getting a new white belt to properly warm up before training. That is ok. Otherwise keep your thoughts to yourself. This isn't like a football team where a lazy teammate means the difference between winning or losing a game.

I do BJJ for fun, mostly.

I've stated a few times already that I'm only referring to the competition team. Not the guys who training for fun. I would never go up to one of the hobbyists and say "hey why don't you try to make it to some of the circuit training classes, it might help with your game." But this thread was about whether anything was wrong with saying that to the guys on the competition team.

BTW, i haven't "ripped" on anyone yet. I just posed the question.

We crack jokes if you're being lazy, but only among the competitors.
I think it helps to be accountable to your teammates.

Why worry about other people? Just focus on your training, thats all that matters.

Why worry about other people? Just focus on your training, thats all that matters.

One could argue if his teammates slack off, they progress slower, in the end that could harm his progress because their level doesn't improve, so his doesn't. I'm just saying.

Not disagreeing with you about the resentment part but just curious...why do you think that is? I mean in other martial arts and team sports (football, basketball, you name it), teammates are always pushing each other. How come in bjj people resent you for trying to push them harder?

I don't know how other martial arts are, but BJJ is an individual sport not a team sport, and you are not the coach, so it's not your place to push your teammates.

I didn't read all the replies, but I think the best option is to bring it up with your coach. Not everyone is, or can be, as committed as you, whether doing it for competition or for fun. If you have issues with your support group, start looking for a new one. Either you'll find what you've been looking for, or you'll realize that what you've got is pretty good.

not your place. talking to your instructor about it might be a way to go but it also might make you look like a little snitch.

imo, just train. people pay good money to be there, and most likely won't take to kindly to you being a busybody.

not your place. talking to your instructor about it might be a way to go but it also might make you look like a little snitch.

imo, just train. people pay good money to be there, and most likely won't take to kindly to you being a busybody.

This seems to be the consensus. I guess I'll just try to lead by example.

That is interesting. in MT or MMA training, you always hear guys screaming to their teamates to suck it up for another of couple of hard reps.

but in BJJ, nothing like that.

It could be a cultural thing.

I do not think they bother with all that Japanese masochist mentallity in Brasil.

They praise you for training harder than others but do not chastise the guys that do not want to train harder.

this is bjj class right? my school has a circuit training class. I believe that a bjj class should be bjj. you want people to work out at the school have a class just for that.
some people would rather do strength training in a gym.

now the warmups, if they are late because of work schedule and can't make it on time that is ok.

I don't know how other martial arts are, but BJJ is an individual sport not a team sport, and you are not the coach, so it's not your place to push your teammates.

It is an individual sport but you will get no where without good team mates.

Back